The CookingBites Cookalong: Chinese Dumplings

Just linking this fabulous colourful recipe from @flyinglentris:
Pomegranate Meats Rouleaux Carnaval and Rice Boules

pomegranate00.jpg

We've got pot stickers on our menu plan this week and hopefully we'll get to them, but we've already gone off menu twice this week since neither of us felt like cooking. One kind will be pork and the other will be shrimp or chicken. I found a new dough recipe and some ways of shaping I want to try, but I'm not sure if I'll get to that this week or not, may just stick with the premade wrappers, but I'll definitely be trying the new ways out at some point during our cook along.

Chinese Dumplings can be made sweet or savoury and can be vegan too. For the purposes of this Cookalong we are talking about any Chinese style filled dumplings, such as Dim Sum dumplings or Wantons. You can steam them, simmer or fry them, make your own wrapping or use shop bought.

And don’t forget the dipping sauce served with them or the broth if they are to be served in soup.

@morning glory posted my Pomegranate Meats Rouleaux Carnaval and Rice Boules here by request and no, they are definitely not Chinese. And there's no dipping sauce. But there are instructions on how to roll them and ball them.

Again, here's the link: https://www.cookingbites.com/thread...x-carnaval-and-rice-boules.11871/#post-107531

Here's what I made. Make sure to set aside a lot of time to read the recipe, and take frequent breaks, since it takes a while to get through it all (especially if you also use my directions for juicing pomegranates).

I'll be looking to see how you achieved that nice browned color.

We've got pot stickers on our menu plan this week and hopefully we'll get to them, but we've already gone off menu twice this week since neither of us felt like cooking. One kind will be pork and the other will be shrimp or chicken. I found a new dough recipe and some ways of shaping I want to try, but I'm not sure if I'll get to that this week or not, may just stick with the premade wrappers, but I'll definitely be trying the new ways out at some point during our cook along.

Here's a style of dumpling that members might be interested in ... Jiaozi.

Here's a style of dumpling that members might be interested in ... Jiaozi.

I don't see any difference, other than the name, from Chinese Dumplings. They can be steamed, or become pot stickers. I personally would never boil them. The folding technique is the same as what Karen did for our pot stickers last night. Did I miss something?

Re Jiaozi - it seems its another name for an Asian dumpling. See here: potstickers-vs-dumplings-what-is-the-difference
Dumplings begin with meat or vegetable fillings, which are then wrapped by pieces of dough made of bread, flour, or potatoes. The dumplings can be boiled, fried, simmered, or steamed. According to Andrea Nguyen, author of "Asian Dumplings," the Chinese invented the Asian form of dumplings, called "jiaozi." These are the foundation for what most people know as the potsticker and are what differentiate potstickers vs dumplings.

Rumor has it that a Chinese chef intended to boil jiaozi in a wok, but walked away and returned to find all of the water boiled off. Here's where the distinction of potstickers vs dumplings happened. The dumpling stuck to the pan and got crispy, which is how the dumpling got its name of potsticker, which literally means "stuck to the wok."

Back
Top Bottom