The CookingBites Cookalong: Chinese Dumplings

I've been at it again! I had some dough left over from earlier (I only used 70 g flour and 35 ml water, but managed to get 9 out of it, and could probably have got 10 if I'd have tried), so I made some blackberry and apple dim sum. And what goes with blackberry and apple? Custard, of course! Although it was actually the top of the milk (single cream) brought slowly to the boil with melted butter.

Blackberry and apple dim sum with custard.jpg

I've been at it again! I had some dough left over from earlier (I only used 70 g flour and 35 ml water, but managed to get 9 out of it, and could probably have got 10 if I'd have tried), so I made some blackberry and apple dim sum. And what goes with blackberry and apple? Custard, of course! Although it was actually the top of the milk (single cream) brought slowly to the boil with melted butter.

View attachment 13882

I have to say @Elawin that you know how to push the boundaries!

The last 6 weeks have always been around for work. I tried to make once Chinese Dumplings with rice flour stuffed with shrimp, peas, spring onion, carrots, ginger and soy sauce. Unfortunately I couldn't knead the rice flour. I then used the filling with some noodles I had at home!:cry:
I'll try again anyway

20180211_114732.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The last 6 weeks have always been around for work. I tried to make once Chinese Dumplings with rice flour stuffed with shrimp, peas, spring onion, carrots, ginger and soy sauce. Unfortunately I couldn't knead the rice flour. I then used the filling with some noodles I had at home!:cry:
I'll try again anyway

View attachment 14467

Well the filling does look nice! Rice flour is really hard to work with. You would probably be better off using Italian pasta flour.

But maybe it is better to perfect your recipe and technique with Italian flour and then move onto rice flour rather than to end up demotivated?
With Italian flour my technique is quite good. I make ravioli, tortellini, tortelloni, cappelletti (they are all examples of stuffed pasta). :wink:
I'm never home at this time for work, I'll try again as soon as I have some time:)

My final attempt which I forgot to post before. Dumplings with soup inside. I made a jelly with soy sauce and chillies using a vegan gelling agent - then scooped pieces of it to contain in the dumplings - so when they are poached the filling turns to broth inside the dumpling. It 'sort of' worked!

The jelly:

fullsizeoutput_2d19.jpeg

20180223_130613.jpg

fullsizeoutput_2cf7.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_2d17.jpeg

A big thanks to each and everyone who participated in this Cookalong. As usual I've learned new techniques and its been great fun. A new challenge is coming up. :okay:

Back
Top Bottom