The CookingBites Cookalong: Deep Fried Eggs

Deep fried egg in kadeifi pastry. I'm not happy about the runnyness of the yolk so its going to get made again. But I think it looks lovely - great with the Asparagus and Dill Sauce.

fullsizeoutput_3128.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_3126.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_312e.jpeg

That looks so yummy and also so pretty. My latest deep fried egg was not so photogenic.
It was really delicious - I'm completely addicted to these deep fried eggs. Tomorrow I will make the the same but with a 5 and half minute egg. That should ensure a runny yolk.

Pity hardly anyone else is joining in this Cookalong. They don't know what they are missing!

My latest attempt was a cross between a fish scotch egg and an egg filled fishcake. It was very tasty but fiddly and not very pretty.

Oh good. I'm going to try the kadeifi egg again tomorrow.

It would be lovely if more members had a go... @medtran49, @The Late Night Gourmet, @SatNavSaysStraightOn, @epicuric, @Duck59, @MrsDangermouse, @flyinglentris, @Slumgullioneer ?

You guys don't know what you are missing. And a deep fried egg is not very calorific for those of you on diets (depending on the coating, of course).
My main problem currently aside from just having moved my flock which had thrown the birds completely and it may well be spring before they start laying again, is that I don't know where any of my pots and pans are, nor have I yet to clean the kitchen and cupboards out to be able to unpack. So deep frying hard boiled eggs isn't yet on my to do list, sorry. But I will try before the challenge ends hopefully.

Oh good. I'm going to try the kadeifi egg again tomorrow.

It would be lovely if more members had a go... @medtran49, @The Late Night Gourmet, @SatNavSaysStraightOn, @epicuric, @Duck59, @MrsDangermouse, @flyinglentris, @Slumgullioneer ?

You guys don't know what you are missing. And a deep fried egg is not very calorific for those of you on diets (depending on the coating, of course).

My new diet has certainly put a cramp on my culinary ambitions, at least when it comes to the heavier things. But, I was actually planning to make this sometime this weekend.

My new diet has certainly put a cramp on my culinary ambitions, at least when it comes to the heavier things. But, I was actually planning to make this sometime this weekend.

They aren't so heavy if you make them without a meat wrap: egg = 80 cals, flour, egg, breadcrumbs to coat = 20 cals plus frying. I'm not sure how much oil the egg would take up but surely not more than one tbsp (probably less) = 120 cals. So the maximum cals would be 220 cals. I think less but the only way to to test that out is by meticulous measuring of the oil before and after frying. Am I going to do that...?

I could be totally wrong here but I think that a deep fried egg is less calories than a portion of fries or a burger.

I could be totally wrong here but I think that a deep fried egg is less calories than a portion of fries or a burger.
I think you're right about this. I do plan on measuring my oil before and after the fry to see what actually got absorbed, so I'll know for sure how much I used. Recipes that calculate based on ingredient usage get it totally wrong when you figure how much oil you need to make the recipe (2 quarts to fill the fryer) vs how much you actually use (which might be a tablespoon per egg).

Does it count if I Air-Fry the egg? I'm still going to try using this regardless, but I'm asking because I just ordered one of these:

View attachment 15652

I don't think it can be called deep fat frying if you use an air fryer- but this isn't a competition so please do try it out and post the results here. I'm not sure if it will work for breadcrumbed things - I've heard they are good for chips (fries).

Back
Top Bottom