The CookingBites Cookalong: Deep Fried Eggs

I don't think it can be called deep fat frying if you use an air fryer- but this isn't a competition so please do try it out and post the results here. I'm not sure if it will work for breadcrumbed things - I've heard they are good for chips (fries).
I think I'll do the same preparation using the deep fry, and also try it when the air fryer comes in. I have a feeling I know which one will look and taste better. :whistling:

C2D62660-AFF0-4247-A0D9-07E3C62FDAA1.jpeg

While this looks good, and it did taste good, I’m disappointed. My poached egg ended up cooking through, so there is no runny yolk to show off.

I scooped my first egg out of the water after poaching, and put it in icewater to stop the cooking process. Then, as I was breading it, the yolk broke. I decided it was because soaking in icewater loosened up the “skin” on the egg.

So, for my next two eggs, I didn’t cool them down after poaching, and they held together nicely. But, that seems to be because they cooked through.

So, I ate my mistakes. The two that I finished worked out to 179 calories each (I weighed the oil before and after, and the two eggs used 4 teaspoons of oil in total).

I enjoyed them with Dijon mustard. Yes, I did enjoy them (despite what I said at the beginning).

While this looks good, and it did taste good, I’m disappointed. My poached egg ended up cooking through, so there is no runny yolk to show off.

It does look good - and 'snap' - the one I cooked yesterday was on a bed of spinach like yours is, I think. I soft boiled mine for 5 and a half mins (time from plunging into boiling water) then into cold water. It was perfectly runny (unlike my earlier attempt) and I'm really pleased! This uses kataifi pastry instead of bread crumbs.

fullsizeoutput_31df.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_31e9.jpeg

Right, this is on the list of things to do tomorrow, along with the final Ikea jigsaw puzzle (a wardrobe), the chook house repairs, gardening and unpacking and cleaning. It won't be true deep fat frying because I'm not certain I have enough oil or suitable saucepans (I don't have a deep fat fryer or a small deep frying pan) but I can make do. 4 of the 6 or 12 eggs I hard boil will be deep fried. One may have a coating of something to go with it. I may even surprise hubby and make him a Yorkshire Pudding now we have an oven that goes hot enough!

Right, this is on the list of things to do tomorrow, along with the final Ikea jigsaw puzzle (a wardrobe), the chook house repairs, gardening and unpacking and cleaning. It won't be true deep fat frying because I'm not certain I have enough oil or suitable saucepans (I don't have a deep fat fryer or a small deep frying pan) but I can make do. 4 of the 6 or 12 eggs I hard boil will be deep fried. One may have a coating of something to go with it. I may even surprise hubby and make him a Yorkshire Pudding now we have an oven that goes hot enough!

I cooked mine in a small stainless steel saucepan with about an inch and a half of oil, turning once.

...its becoming addictive, cooking these deep fried eggs. I'm constantly thinking up ideas for new coatings... here is another I did yesterday using spinach. I was worried that the spinach would be too wet and ruin the frying - but it worked out fine. I spent a lot of time squeezing water out of the spinach.

fullsizeoutput_31f2.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_31ed.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_31ef.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_31d3.jpeg

he two that I finished worked out to 179 calories each (I weighed the oil before and after, and the two eggs used 4 teaspoons of oil in total).

This is very encouraging. It means the spinach one I made would come in at about the same:
Egg = 80 cals
Oil = 80 cals
Egg and breadcrumb = 20 cals (maybe less)
Spinach - negligible

Healthy!

Deep fried stuffed eggs when I get back (I'm away at the moment in Canterbury for two days).
Hey! That is a way you could make deep fried eggs hard boiled eggs @Herbie - given your thingy about not eating things unless you can see inside them. You could hard boil an egg then split it open and either stuff it or simply put it back together before coating. Then you will have seen inside it. Would that work or am I misunderstanding?

I spent a lot of time squeezing water out of the spinach.
I've found that two good ways to squeeze the moisture out are to use a ricer or a juicer. Neither has holes large enough that you need to be concerned with losing any of the spinach. Then again, hand-wringing it into a paper towel is a good way to develop upper-body strength.

Until now all the participating entries have been whole eggs either poached or boiled then deep fried. But how about a different take? Deep fried omelette? Deep fried meringue? I've got ideas for both! :D Can you think of other ways to deep fry eggs?

Please note extended deadline: midday May 12th (GMT +1).
that helps me :dance:

hubby is away next week which means I'll have chance to try some ideas of mine as well without the worry of unpacking a house and preparing the meals at the same time. Unfortunately I have had to unpack somethings into the kitchen cabinets as it is and not all of them have been washed out yet,

Back
Top Bottom