The CookingBites Cookalong: Deep Fried Eggs

I bought this new toy in Canterbury the other day having the Cookalong in mind (see here at the top in the middle). I thought it would get around the problem of awkward shaped poached eggs to coat in flour, egg and breadcrumbs. It worked a treat and also allowed me to add herbs and spices to the white without having to use clingfilm. I used basil and chopped chillies added.

It was relatively easy to breadcrumb the egg and I was delighted that the yolk stayed runny after frying. Of course - you can't see the basil and chilli really once its deep fried. But you can taste it!

fullsizeoutput_320e.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_3235.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_3239.jpeg

Right, I finally found a few spare minute, a small saucepan and the large can of canola oil... And made some hard boiled eggs, then deep fried them.

Other than a crispy outer, I'm not sure there was much difference. Was there meant to be?

_20180503_123822.JPG

_20180503_123752.JPG

I didn't really have the time to pay much attention to them, so I went with hard boiled eggs (primarily because I was boiling up a batch of them) rather than anything else.

I also don't have any plain white plates or dishes for plating them up nicely. I may have to obtain 1 of each in the near future. They at very cheap in Ikea and sold in singles. So I didn't really bother with the presentation side of life. It was more a case of actually getting time to do it. Moving house with 40 chickens is complicated at the best of times, worse when their permanent quarters are not yet ready and you need them in there for a couple of weeks and used to the new permanent quarters and new regime before you can go on holiday for a few nights in a couple of weeks time... Desperately trying to get their new quarters ready for the weekend...

Nothing, this was a quick basic test of concept and exactly what the title says, deep fried eggs, not deep fried coated eggs or drop fried stuffed eggs. Just plain simple hard boiled eggs, deep fried! :D

Fair enough - in some Indian curries they are prepared like that. Fried in oil first and then other ingredients added.

We tried two types of deep fried egg this morning for breakfast .The first inspired Thai style omelet (Khai Jiao) and the other by a recipe for an egg 'bun' for a burger I read about in the Huffington post.
I was reading about the Thai omelette (with fish sauce?) - it sounds rather good. How is the egg 'bun' made?

I didn't have the fish sauce so just tried the technique of deep frying omelet. I've added the recipes and links from my post above.

Thanks! Very interesting. I'm definitely going to try the 'bun'.

I noticed you had accidentally tagged the recipes with the Recipe Challenge tag - I've changed them to the 'Cookalong' tag.

Thanks! Very interesting. I'm definitely going to try the 'bun'.

I noticed you had accidentally tagged the recipes with the Recipe Challenge tag - I've changed them to the 'Cookalong' tag.

Ah. Thank you.

Yes, do try the bun. I will certainly make it again.

How long do you think the raw egg mixture would last in the freezer?

How long do you think the raw egg mixture would last in the freezer?

Good question and I'm probably the last person you should ask - my freezer is something of a graveyard! I have some huge king prawns that I put in there 3 years ago... must get round to using them.

I think it would last quite a while though. A few months?

Last edited:
I don't know if any of these three actually deserve a recipe in their own right but I'll write them up together shortly.

I used the concept of a beer batter as an idea. The first being very thick but still wet enough not to want to handle. I switched out flour for besan flour because I love chickpea flour (though I used besan flour rather than chickpea flour, there is a slight difference with besan flour not needing as much water adding as chickpea flour does) and I switched the beer for sparkling spring water because due to an oversight we don't have any beer (it's also a week night so we don't drink on those either but that's another matter altogether). I added salt as well.

20180509144717_IMG_0637.JPG

It didn't last long because I was hungry. (I intentionally hard boiled these eggs because my girls have taken to hiding their eggs at our new home rather than using the nesting boxes from their last place and the eggs are in a batch I found so I was playing it safe.)

20180509144804_IMG_0638.JPG

The next idea worked around the same concept but with a much thicker batter.
I used 35g of besan flour, 10g black sesame seeds, a good pinch of salt, a decent couple of pinches of garam masala (left over from a homemade batch) and 2tsp sparkling mineral water. I mixed the whole lot into a really thick batter, seriously thick where with floured hands I could just about handle it and moulded it around the egg.

20180509145021_IMG_0646.JPG

The batter was a touch too thick in my opinion but it still treated really good.

20180509145056_IMG_0647.JPG

Finally I made up a touch more of the initial batter, making it thick enough to resemble whipped cream and spread it onto a single sheet of physio/filo pastry. I added the egg whole (and still warm) and wrapped the egg up using water to seal the pastry. I then added another sheet of filo pastry, wrapped and again used plenty of water to seal the ends and the side.

I accidentally overcooked it because I missed the start button on the timer and instead of starting a 5 minute countdown, I programmed it for 5 minutes and 01 seconds instead!

20180509145143_IMG_0649.JPG

The batter is just about cooked inside, but only just. Ideally it needed a touch longer, or to be less thick at the ends. But it tasted really good and the crunch before the softness of the egg or the batter (basically a la socca pancake only inside filo pastry) was very good.

20180509145338_IMG_0654.JPG

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom