The CookingBites Cookalong: Goulash

I thought @Elawin mentioned that Hungarian Paprika has a stronger heat than other paprika. I noticed you use that and that you used quite a lot - yet it wasn't at all hot. Hmmm... paprika isn't really a hot spice in my experience. I think I'm going to be tempted to use chill as well!
Actually I said I used Spanish paprika, which is not the same. There are several types of Hungarian paprika, ranging in colour, sweetness and heat. The goulash I had in Austria was an intense, bright red. There is an article here http://www.thekitchn.com/whats-the-difference-hot-sweet-68134 which compares the different types of Hungarian paprika. I would hazard a guess and say the paprika in the goulash we had was probably either édesnemes (the type normally sold in the USA) or különleges. The main problem in the UK is getting Hungarian paprika at all - most of it is Spanish paprika - but there are a few online suppliers.

Why do you say that - isn't some fat a good thing in a slow cook? I am hoping to use some shin of beef if I use beef which has a reasonable amount of marbling as well as connective tissue.
I mean, unless you're using a fatty piece, and using heated fat to support the saute (instead of adding oil). Some recipes I saw recommended using duck fat (which I didn't take the time to find). Some also referred to skimming off any congealed fat, but that depends on how much you have to begin with.

So...are you also making a tofu-based goulash? :whistling:

Actually I said I used Spanish paprika, which is not the same. There are several types of Hungarian paprika, ranging in colour, sweetness and heat. The goulash I had in Austria was an intense, bright red. There is an article here http://www.thekitchn.com/whats-the-difference-hot-sweet-68134 which compares the different types of Hungarian paprika. I would hazard a guess and say the paprika in the goulash we had was probably either édesnemes (the type normally sold in the USA) or különleges. The main problem in the UK is getting Hungarian paprika at all - most of it is Spanish paprika - but there are a few online suppliers.

Sorry if I misunderstood. Its very interesting how paprika can vary so much. I could get some Hungarian on-line but it ain't cheap. I'm not sure its worth it.

I love Spanish smoked paprika, but it is quite different. On the other hand, as I've started to do more research, there are also different grades of Hungarian paprika. The kind I have is mild, which is why I didn't (at first) pick up on the flavor. All of this makes sense: paprika is made from ground peppers, and I think we all know that there are variations in the spice and flavor properties between peppers, even peppers of the same type in the same batch.

.......... and I think we all know that there are variations in the spice and flavor properties between peppers, even peppers of the same type in the same batch.

I can definitely second that!

[Edit: a recent case being the chilis that I used to garnish my stuffed jacket potatoes. They were much "hotter" than I expected and whereas that wouldn't bother me normally, it just didn't suit the rest of the platter]

Last edited:
I could get some Hungarian on-line but it ain't cheap. I'm not sure its worth it.
Worth it depends on how expensive it is......but I find it does make a difference. You can usually get Hungarian paprika in the ethnic aisle of most large supermarkets.

My goulash recipe has no tomatoes - the red colour comes only from the paprika and with 4 tbsp of it the paprika flavour definitely does come out. Personally I prefer the tomato-less versions because I think the tomato flavour hides the paprika flavour. Its not a spicy dish, though if you wanted spice then you could add some hot paprika - I wouldn't remove any of the sweet paprika though (you need it for the flavour).

I also think shin of beef is a great cut to use....I wouldn't normally use a lean cut for slow cooking because it tends to go dry and stringy.

There's a long deadline on the Cookalong (Nov. 25th) and it often gets extended! I'd just love to see your dish.
In that case I'll do my best to make it in the coming weeks :okay:
It'll give me an excuse to use some of my holiday souvenirs too:
2prvde9.jpg

Personally I prefer the tomato-less versions because I think the tomato flavour hides the paprika flavour.
I appreciate this perspective. The Hungarian paprika does come through in my recipe, but it's subtle. Since I'm sure I'm going to make goulash again, I will definitely give this a try. :thumbsup:

Back
Top Bottom