The CookingBites Cookalong: Goulash

Just when you thought it was safe, I found this recipe for a classical Hungarian goulash on a Hungarian tourist information site, which also gives alternatives as well as a short history of goulash.

Alföldi Gulyás

Alföldi Gulyás.jpg

You can find the recipe here https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/alföldi-gulyás-a-classical-hungarian-goulash.11114/

Just when you thought it was safe, I found this recipe for a classical Hungarian goulash on a Hungarian tourist information site, which also gives alternatives as well as a short history of goulash.

Alföldi Gulyás

View attachment 11233

You can find the recipe here https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/alföldi-gulyás-a-classical-hungarian-goulash.11114/

This looks great @Elawin - I can't wait to try out my version now I have the authentic Hungarian paprika. It is a revelation - totally unlike Spanish paprika and super-hot.

You can usually get Hungarian paprika in the ethnic aisle of most large supermarkets.
I've looked in our large Sainsbury's and they do not have Hungarian paprika. Our Tesco's is absolutely enormous, and they also do not have Hungarian paprika in either their very large spice aisle or their several International aisles. Tesco online in our area is more limited as to the choice of spices as well. The smaller supermarkets are Polish, Turkish, or "international", and they don't stock it either. You are lucky if you can get it in your local supermarket.

I've looked in our large Sainsbury's and they do not have Hungarian paprika. Our Tesco's is absolutely enormous, and they also do not have Hungarian paprika in either their very large spice aisle or their several International aisles. Tesco online in our area is more limited as to the choice of spices as well. The smaller supermarkets are Polish, Turkish, or "international", and they don't stock it either. You are lucky if you can get it in your local supermarket.

I've looked everywhere too. Which supermarket did you find it in @MrsDangermouse?

I got some from the Tesco Extra in Sandhurst - though I have to admit it was a while ago and I've not looked recently as I have a good stockpile of paprika right now. Maybe they no longer do it :(

But talk about co-incidences.....this thread pops up again today and we're having goulash for dinner tonight :hungry:

I got some from the Tesco Extra in Sandhurst - though I have to admit it was a while ago and I've not looked recently as I have a good stockpile of paprika right now. Maybe they no longer do it :(

But talk about co-incidences.....this thread pops up again today and we're having goulash for dinner tonight :hungry:

The Goulash Cookalong is still running until the 25th November - so take a photo if you can. :happy:

I haven't got round to posting up the Goulash I cooked at my friends house a few weeks ago - I used shin and the Hungarian Paprika I bought on the internet (#30). Its a revelation! Really super hot and nothing like any paprika I've had before. I also made a vegan version with aubergines (see below)

20171111_123221.jpg

Last edited:
As promised, the two Austrian recipes are here:

https://www.cookingbites.com/thread...strian-goulash-recipe-without-tomatoes.11277/
https://www.cookingbites.com/thread...-austrian-goulash-recipe-with-tomatoes.11276/

They have both been taken from a 1950's Austrian cookery book. I have no photos but I have cooked the version with tomatoes on many an occasion, and it is delicious. I usually add the potatoes to the meat about an hour before the end of cooking time rather than cook them separately.

The third recipe goes completely against the grain as far as goulash is concerned. Firstly, it is made with lamb, and secondly it contains peas, both of which should be a no-no. The recipe comes from The New Zealand Lamb Cookbook (published 1977). I have never cooked it but, judging by the recipes I have made from that cookery book, it should be fine even if its authenticity does cause concern to purists :laugh:

https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/hungarian-goulash-new-zealand-style.11278/

So here's a (not very) good picture of my goulash

20pob68.jpg

Brownish coloured stews are notoriously difficult to photograph well! I usually sprinkle something on the top to add contrast. I'm sure it was delixcious. Did you use tomato in it. I made mine without and was quite pleased with the result but the gravy was rather thin so I added cornflour.

So at last - here is my beef goulash cooked a few weeks ago at my friend's house. I used 700g of beef shin, onion, Hungarian paprika, green peppers (3) salt, caraway seeds and chicken stock. I originally added the green peppers at the beginning of cooking but was very disappointed as they turned into a dingy green sludge! So, I fished them out and cooked some more peppers separately in the microwave, to retain their colour. The Hungarian paprika is a revelation. Its a beautiful brick red colour and really hot. Would I make this again? Hmm... not sure. I can think of more exciting ways to use the paprika.

The paprika (ordered from Amazon):
41bXEkmXBJL-3.jpg

The beef:

20171031_233326.jpg

Cooking:

20171102_133138.jpg

The finished dish - I served it with mashed potato (the white dollop is yoghurt, which I prefer to sour cream).

20171105_114100.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom