The CookingBites Cookalong: Goulash

Brownish coloured stews are notoriously difficult to photograph well!

Just surmising, but maybe the contrast between the black background, the white plate and the red/brown stew could have been difficult for the camera's automated exposure. The use of direct flash probably didn't help.

Brownish coloured stews are notoriously difficult to photograph well! I usually sprinkle something on the top to add contrast. I'm sure it was delixcious. Did you use tomato in it. I made mine without and was quite pleased with the result but the gravy was rather thin so I added cornflour.
Yeah it does look a bit brownish, but it was actually more of a dark red. No tomato in my goulash - the colour is all from the paprika. The sauce wasn't super-thick, but it was definitely not thin - the flour used for dusting the meat thickens it a little. Your's looks very tasty :hungry:

Just surmising, but maybe the contrast between the black background, the white plate and the red/brown stew could have been difficult for the camera's automated exposure. The use of direct flash probably didn't help.
LOL that was the best of a whole bunch of photos.....flash on and off, black background, white background (don't really have a choice of many other colours). In the end I gave up because I was hungry and wanted to eat it before it got cold :p: I think its safe to say that photography is not one of my talents ;-)

LOL that was the best of a whole bunch of photos.....flash on and off, black background, white background (don't really have a choice of many other colours). In the end I gave up because I was hungry and wanted to eat it before it got cold :p: I think its safe to say that photography is not one of my talents ;-)

I always give folk the same tip - shoot in daylight but not direct sun. I put my dishes in a South facing window or near the source of best natural light. Of course, its not always possible especially in the UK in the evenings in Winter!

@MrsDangermouse, I took the liberty of having a bit of a play with your photo using MacBook tools. Now I can see the red peppers! And I'm sort of guessing this is more like the right colour.

20pob68.jpg

Why do you say that - isn't some fat a good thing in a slow cook? I am hoping to use some shin of beef if I use beef which has a reasonable amount of marbling as well as connective tissue.
Fat is definitely good for a slow cook. Count me in for this one!

Back
Top Bottom