The CookingBites Cookalong: Ravioli

A good point @Francesca, that ravioli can of course be used in a dessert dish.:okay:
My second attempt was going to be a sweet version. I had reserved some dough from the first attempt, and tried to make it a bright, vivid red colour by adding red food colouring. It went brown instead, and sat in the fridge for several days waiting for inspiration. The filling was going to be mascarpone, vanilla and either fresh cherries or raspberries, and I was trying to work out a dressing involving lemon, basil and honey, and some sort of pistachio brittle on top. Some day. ..

"This thread has me very excited.

I spent a day in a handmade pasta cooking class a few years ago after purchasing the pasta rolling attachmentments for Marlene, my beloved Kitchenaid. This past Christmas I was given ravioli stamps and a cutting wheel from my partner which haven't seen the light of day yet.

Inspiration hasn't hit me until I saw this thread. Thank you CookingBites. xx

That's fantastic @Frizz1974! I'll extend the Cookalong for another week as there have been several members who want to participate but haven't done so yet.
I look forward to seeing/hearing about your results.

The Cookalong has been extended until midnight Monday 26th June as some members haven't had the chance to enter yet. This means it will have been running for 4 weeks. I look forward to seeing more ravishing Ravioli results! :D

Agh! I'm not going to be able to join in, but I'm definitely inspired to give ravioli a try at some point and will post pics then.
Sorry for radio silence have been taken poorly and just getting back on my feet - hence even with the extension I won't be able to manage cooking along.

Agh! I'm not going to be able to join in, but I'm definitely inspired to give ravioli a try at some point and will post pics then.
Sorry for radio silence have been taken poorly and just getting back on my feet - hence even with the extension I won't be able to manage cooking along.

Oh, I'm sorry. I wondered where you had got to. Hope you get properly well soon. Anyway - we are looking for a dish for the next Cookalong so you could always add you thoughts in that thread: Dish for the next Cookalong

"Su Culurgiones", i.e. Sardinian ravioli
Culurgiones, Sardinian ravioli.jpg

"Culurgiones" (in sardinian dialect) are the classic stuffed ravioli from Sardinia, but they are also well-known in the rest of Italy for their goodness and the particular filling, which is, according to the Island's areas, generally made with seasoned Sardinian pecorino cheese , or with potatoes and mint (my favorites) , served with plenty of pecorino cheese or a simple tomato sauce.

They have a crescent shape that is characterized by the closure of the edges - in Sardinian called "Sa spighitta" - because, pinching them with fingers, recalls the image of an ear of wheat (I'm not sure this is the right translation of spiga di grano)

How lovely! I've never come across these before. When you say they are sometimes made with potato and mint, is it just those two ingredients or are there other ingredients inside the ravioli?

My version is filled with sardinian pecorino, potatoes and mint and this is classic version. In some areas of Sardinia they put basil in place of mint.
In other areas only cheese and potatoes or ricotta and potatoes or other areas can still be found onion ... I sincerely prefer the "classic" version that taught me my aunt in Sardinia: Potatoes , Mint and sardinian pecorino cheese (two types of pecorino are used: both seasoned and fresh).
The original Sardinian recipe says that you have to prepare the stuffing at least a day before so that all the perfumes mix well and the dough becomes more homogeneous.

"Culurgiones" (in sardinian dialect) are the classic stuffed ravioli from Sardinia, but they are also well-known in the rest of Italy for their goodness and the particular filling, which is, according to the Island's areas, generally made with seasoned Sardinian pecorino cheese , or with potatoes and mint (my favorites) , served with plenty of pecorino cheese or a simple tomato sauce.

They have a crescent shape that is characterized by the closure of the edges - in Sardinian called "Sa spighitta" - because, pinching them with fingers, recalls the image of an ear of wheat (I'm not sure this is the right translation of spiga di grano)
Yes, they do look like wheat.

Question: making pasta/ravioli Is it a make the dough and use it instantly? I ask because I need to time things for men coming home from work and evening meals - though tonight is now off sadly because I have been informed I should eat without him after a colleague booked a 6pm conference with him overnight and he only found out when he got to work this morning. I don't normally bother cooking for just myself

Question: making pasta/ravioli Is it a make the dough and use it instantly? I ask because I need to time things for men coming home from work and evening meals - though tonight is now off sadly because I have been informed I should eat without him after a colleague booked a 6pm conference with him overnight and he only found out when he got to work this morning. I don't normally bother cooking for just myself

Once you have prepared the dough of fresh pasta (whether it is ravioli or something else), my advice is to eat it the same day, more so because after all the fatigue made it would be a shame not to taste it right away! And then homemade tea also absorbs the seasoning better.
To keep the fresh pasta in the refrigerator place it in a closed container, covered with transparent film.

As an alternative to the container, you can place the pasta between two clean and slightly floured cloths, which you place in a refrigerated storage compartment, so that the pasta does not absorb the aroma of other foods.

This way you can keep fresh pasta made with egg for 24-36 hours, while not egg pasta not over for 3-4 days.

So I've done it. made some and eaten them for lunch. the rest of the filling will be used tonight to make some to be served with the soup which I have just realised is lacking bread!

Oh well... Excuse the mucky kitchen and lack of anything resembling what people expect of a kitchen... (clean surfaces, nice floor, you know that sort of thing - mine is a functional kitchen with minimal work surface space and plenty of mud on the bare wooden flooring).

I only had 2 crumpet rings to act as a guide, so the edges are not sharp and they are hand sealed. I ran around the edge with the pastry brush (1st picture top right). None came open, they were cooked correctly at the join.

IMG_9322_800.JPG IMG_9324.JPG IMG_9327_800.JPG IMG_9328_800.JPG

IMG_9330_800.JPG

IMG_9334_800.JPG

They are filled with just onions. Caramalised onions in a balsamic and honey glaze with thyme, served with a little EVO oil over the top.
They were boiled for 6 minutes. I should probably have cut open one of the other ones because this was the one with the least amount of filling, but I don't like cold food that is meant to be hot, so was keen to eat them.

Back
Top Bottom