The CookingBites Cookalong: Tarte Tatin

I was doodling around of Facebook earlier and accidentally clicked on one of their advertising links, which took me to a recipe for a savoury tarte tatin. Is someone trying to tell me something? :wink:

Aaah, tarte tatin, one of my all time favourite desserts. So much so, it was 1 of 3 on the dessert platter of my wedding 12 years ago!

It also seems to have an affinity with the sweet dessert wines of the Loire Valley. IMO, a glass of Coteaux du Layon (or Bonnezeaux, or Quarts de Chaume) is the perfect partnership where it improves both! Highly recommended.

Well I made an aubergine Tarte Tatin and it wasn't overly successful. I think it was simply the recipe I chose more than anything else.

It looked ok. It came out of the pan just fine, it just lacked flavour and was too oily for some reason. I also think it could have done with less cooking/killing time for the aubergine pre oven and more cooking time for the pastry on the oven...

I'll add the link to the recipe when I've written it up. I turned it out onto my Indian griddle that I've forgotten the name of (2 months in hospital has done my memory in)...

Last edited:
I'll do the references tomorrow but...

:hyper:

PSX_20171214_185519.jpg

Yeh - the sheet puff pastry here in Australia leaves a lot to be desired. Come back Jus Rol all is forgiven. Boy could I do with finding some better puff pastry. Something in a block would be wonderful.

Can you make your own 'rough puff'? Its very easy but you do need hard block margarine which I have heard is scarce in Australia.

I think the closest I have come up with so far is this
It is pretty hard, but its not what I would call I hard block margarine
View attachment 12155

To make rough puff or puff pastry it has to be hard margarine. The sort that (like butter) is impossible to spread straight from a cold fridge. For croissants it has ti be hard margarine with a very high fat content - the only one I've found in the UK is Tomor.

I found this Australian brand: http://www.peerlessfoods.com.au/catalogue/pastry-margarines/perfex-ready-bits-hard-15kg

18649_1.jpg

Last edited:
Well I made an aubergine Tarte Tatin and it wasn't overly successful. I think it was simply the recipe I chose more than anything else.

It looked ok. It came out of the pan just fine, it just lacked flavour and was too oily for some reason. I also think it could have done with less cooking/killing time for the aubergine pre oven and more cooking time for the pastry on the oven...

I'll add the link to the recipe when I've written it up. I turned it out onto my Indian griddle that I've forgotten the name of (2 months in hospital has done my memory in)...

It does look good though. I think mine was too oily too as the pastry went a bit soggy (see below)

Back
Top Bottom