The CookingBites Prize Challenge: Cakes

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
12:20 AM
This is our new prize competition. There is a cooking related prize to be posted anywhere in the world (customs permitting) for the winning entry. The theme will change for each Prize Challenge. For this challenge the theme is cakes (the sweet kind) - we don't get many cake recipes posted on CookingBites so I thought this might be a chance to encourage a bit of baking! And with Easter coming up, what could be a better time? And if you can make an Easter themed cake then all the better.

All you have to do is post a recipe and your own photograph of the finished cake(s). If you have posted a suitable recipe and photo during the last month then it will qualify if you post a link in this thread. Enter as many times as you like.

Please post entries as a new Recipe thread and tag your recipes 'Cookingbites Prize Challenge' and then post a link in this thread.

Prizes are listed in the next post. So.....lets get baking! Deadline: midday Sunday 8th April (GMT + 1).

Last edited:
Prizes on offer are:
  • Salter big button kitchen timer.
  • KitchenCraft Home Made Swedish Rosette Iron Set with Three Interchangeable Heads.
  • Kabalo Electric Coffee Bean Grinder & Nut/Spice Grinder.
  • E-PRANCE Pepper and Salt Grinder, Manual Salt or Pepper Mill
  • The Palomar Cookbook (2016) (recipes from award-winning restaurant The Palomar)
  • Feasts by Sabrina Ghayour (2017) (Persian food)
  • Bowls of Goodness: Vibrant Vegetarian Recipes Full of Nourishment by Nina Olsson (2017)

:happy:
I would probably love a savoury cheese cake as I don't really have a sweet tooth - but we are trying to encourage more sweet recipes as there aren't that many posted on CookingBites.

Karen can help with that!:okay: Ever heard of the Marcelle Des Sonneries's "Death by Chocolate"?

It's Marcel Desaulniers. Craig was off on the spelling.

I have a question so I'm not cheeky again, even though an egg is an undeveloped chicken ;-). If cake is a part of the desert, is that okay? There's something I've been wanting to make for years and cake is about a 1/3 to 1/2 of the dessert.

If cake is a part of the desert, is that okay? There's something I've been wanting to make for years and cake is about a 1/3 to 1/2 of the dessert.

:laugh: If its cake its a cake! You can deconstruct it, you can mix it up, you can mess with it, you can serve it as a fractional part of a dessert. But if there is cake then it is cake. So yes! :D

...there has to be a recipe for the cake part though. :)

Last edited:
It's Marcel Desaulniers. Craig was off on the spelling.

I have heard of the book. I'm probably the worst person to judge this challenge as I don't have a sweet tooth and I actually (!) don't really like chocolate. Maybe I need a sweet toothed co-judge.

See top post! I thought it reasonable to include recently posted... so if you have posted a recipe in the last month before the date the challenge starts, it qualifies.

All you have to do is post a recipe and your own photograph of the finished cake(s). If you have posted a suitable recipe and photo during the last month then it will qualify if you post a link in this thread. Enter as many times as you like.

Last edited:
In that case, this just barely made the cutoff (posted 14 FEB):

img_1166-jpg.jpg

Honey Cake

Back
Top Bottom