The CookingBites Prize Challenge: Cakes

Chocolate Lime Cake
Re-iced, less elegantly!
Delicious.

m73li07dATS7__gG9dueLv09JVMqMyRUM2QW916b7M0zRxSR-SbToxsYdm4LJCK3drj0H89wzFHZ4Y0Wx8LCodo980XDb1YyXpYkdBSWHTNyH14eh9VPvaEXrw0UczXcYcuVwantkQzr0ndZXpPRRiTcQzwP7BDvk4GBIDmkQnYtV0SIN4ZS82trni_M8A9jDXpjaQ9tf2Bxhi9vcHtgOuRk6LGkXdOSzQ7FTET2fMOt7kRndeHu5zXZLArA3CIdcjECvHHdy50FmRdtNt6-KzUMrD1a3gDf8GgXjplkzq98HthMsJqAfmDAzvRNIeP7cKIZ_KXmQLI3jJupLJ_dPxqbBYgDFNGgBJlcKRaIkYYgJudbd7jltPZImia1clkl5mfZftYPdTWU59PGf8Uv4oPwvckScnEGgFTeCegU1evEP24doNLIj5EfLO3WfQMl4UE-Jm2Ctr7bQufQfRg7mwSMQER9CPVxy6FFb_s_8b-3BIpmvxBXkMGUk73zWgYpt2ZNkY1qFjPhxJ2DXjADqyPSSXE3RjTOzbTFdSmmsHbhtDnuJnPQ3QNW5iZFcco-vQ8gcaTaphrHG7EwNBGUYLjzmWjlUlXbX7r73-ZP=w1688-h949-no

Last edited:
Well, I have four offerings. All of them are cakes that I have made at least twice, 3 of them many, many times. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately for our waist lines), I don't bake much at all anymore so haven't made any of these in the last year and a-half to 2 years, and don't have photos, except for tge half size Dobos torte I just finished.

Italian Wedding (or cream) cake
https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/italian-wedding-cake.12515/

Dobos torte with almond lace cookies and brandy buttercream
https://www.cookingbites.com/thread...nd-lace-cookies-and-brandy-buttercream.12514/

full

Fresh coconut cake
https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/fresh-coconut-cake.12510/

Ring of coconut cake
https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/ring-of-coconut-fudge-cake.12509/

ETA: I didn't realize until I had already posted that we are supposed to have photos. Oh well, at least they are in electronic form now and saved so if the paper copies are lost (or fade, which a couple are doing) at least I'll have them.

Last edited:
I've run out of icing sugar now!
I just polished off a bag too.

Tonight I made a gluten-free vegan chocolate, chilli and ginger cake with ginger 'butter' icing. It tastes lovely and I was really suprised how well the sponge turned out. I actually think it is better than the gluten-free, dairy-free cake I usually make. I'll make this in future.

Last edited:
Ok - its time to announce a winner! Sorry I'm a bit late.

We had some great entries although not all met the entry criteria which specified posting a photo:

All you have to do is post a recipe and your own photograph of the finished cake(s). If you have posted a suitable recipe and photo during the last month then it will qualify if you post a link in this thread. Enter as many times as you like.

Here were the valid entries:

@The Late Night Gourmet's Laffa Cakes (Lime Jaffa Cakes)
So inventive and great step by step photos. I’d prefer lime to orange any day!

@medtran49 's Tres Leches (3 milks) cake
I made this recipe and was surprised that it wasn’t too sweet. My daughter and my friend tried it and both enjoyed.

@medtran49 's Cheeseburger cake with churro fries and raspberry ketchup
This creation had us reduced to one word exclamations. A fantastic tour de force.

@medtran49 's Dobos torte with almond lace cookies and brandy buttercream
A very decorative cake with lovely layers which are revealed when cut. A great effort.

@Steven Lockhart 's Mini Chocolate Eclairs
These mini eclairs look delightful. I will try making them in the future - especially as I need to improve my choux pastry skills.

@Kake Lover 's Sticky Lime and Ginger Cake
I like this a lot - the combination of ginger and lime is great and the fresh lime zest on top looks very pretty.

@Kake Lover 's Ginger and Walnut Carrot Cake
A carrot cake with ginger sounds like a good combination - nicely executed.

@Kake Lover 's Chocolate Lime Cake
A dazzlingly pretty and fun cake despite disasters on the way!

And a mention for @Herbie 's Chocolate, ginger and chilli, gluten-free, vegan cake (which didn't qualify as no photo).
I loved the idea and it was a surprise for me here as I’ve never come across Scotch Bonnets in a cake!

For once it wasn't difficult to choose a winner. All of @medtran49 's entries were commendable but the magnificent Cheeseburger cake with churro fries and raspberry ketchup just had to win! Such industry and such creativity!

The runner up is @Kake Lover with Sticky Lime and Ginger Cake. A mystery runner's up prize will be sent.

So - @medtran49 you need to choose a prize from those listed and PM me a postal address to send it to. Please note that you do not need to provide me with your own address if you don't wish to. Just a postal address from where you can pick up the prize is fine.

And @Kake Lover, you need to PM me a postal address too.

Congratulations to both of you! :bravo:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom