The CookingBites Prize Challenge: 'En Papillote'

Just out of curiosity, as several examples came up when I googled en papillote recipes to just have a look, do banana leaves count?

Just out of curiosity, as several examples came up when I googled en papillote recipes to just have a look, do banana leaves count?

I suppose its arguable - I think the cooking concept behind 'en papillote' is that the paper or foil forms a sealed 'bubble' so that steam circulates within and nothing escapes thereby trapping and intensifying flavour. I am thinking that with banana skins then the food isn't in a bubble but is more 'wrapped'.

Like you did, I've seen suggestions of banana leaves being used 'en papillote'. This challenge is all about having fun so I really don't want to start drawing up tight rules - that would be silly. So lets include banana leaves!

I suppose its arguable - I think the cooking concept behind 'en papillote' is that the paper or foil forms a sealed 'bubble' so that steam circulates within and nothing escapes thereby trapping and intensifying flavour. I am thinking that with banana skins then the food isn't in a bubble but is more 'wrapped'.

Like you did, I've seen suggestions of banana leaves being used 'en papillote'. This challenge is all about having fun so I really don't want to start drawing up tight rules - that would be silly. So lets include banana leaves!

I don't know, bananas leaves seem to work very well at trapping in steam/moisture. When Craig has used them to make that Mexican dish (name escapes me, but it's that dish Johnny Depp loves in 1 of the Desperado/Mariachi movies and killed the chef over it) the meat gets wrapped pretty tightly and banana leaves are pretty thick, so... But I asked mostly out of curiosity. Ah, I just remembered, Cochinita Pibil.

I'm going to make En Papillote lemon/curry cubed chicken for dinner tonight. It will be my own recipe (no google). I don't have parchment paper. I'll be using alumin foil. I'm serving sweet potato fries and sauteed spinach with it.

I'll post the recipe and pictures later

I'm going to make En Papillote lemon/curry cubed chicken for dinner tonight. It will be my own recipe (no google). I don't have parchment paper. I'll be using alumin foil. I'm serving sweet potato fries and sauteed spinach with it.

I'll post the recipe and pictures later

Sounds good!

prepping it now

20181124_110236.jpg
20181124_111034.jpg
20181124_110809.jpg
20181124_111214.jpg

I'm not worried about it. Its only shredded carrots and yellow pepper (stuff we had in the house that needed used anyways). That is also why I cubed the chicken. I'm hoping that will speed up the cooking time.

We'll see. Trial and error. Kind of what is fun about cooking :)

Salmon, cooked en papillote, with a chervil sauce.
IMG_0922a.jpg

Simply seasoned and covered in sliced lemon, cooked en papillote in its own steam, beautifully tender salmon. The classic sauce worked really well, even though it didn't go according to plan. Finely chopped shallot, chervil stalks and black peppercorns reduced in white wine vinegar (in this case home made tarragon vinegar), strained then added to fish veloute, reduced again by half. Freshly chopped chervil added at the end. Served with new potatoes and tenderstem broccoli.

Back
Top Bottom