The CookingBites Prize Challenge: Moroccan Food

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
1:11 PM
The second round of the new Prize Challenge is here! For each Prize Challenge there is a cooking related prize to be posted anywhere in the world (customs permitting) for the winning entry. The theme will change for each Prize Challenge. For this challenge the theme is Moroccan Food

All you have to do is post a recipe for a Moroccan inspired dish and your own photograph of the result. If it is not your own recipe please cite the source. Enter as many times as you like. Any kind of Moroccan food counts - dips, breads, desserts, main course, salads etc.

Please post entries as a new Recipe thread and tag your recipes 'Cookingbites Prize Challenge' and then post a link in this thread.

The prize on offer for this challenge is this fabulous new book (published May 2018).

51+DKSSV8ZL._AC_US436_QL65_.jpg

'a book that is infused with the flavours of Morocco and is as accessible as it is inspiring' - Nigella Lawson
'It practically sings with aromatic spices and ingredients' - Delicious magazine
'Breathes new life into Moroccan food' - BBC Good Food

There are also some runners up prizes to be had... :)

So, dust off your tagines and dig out those Moroccan spices and lets get cooking! Deadline: midday 12th August (BST).

Last edited:
I partly chose Moroccan because the ingredients for a lot of Moroccan dishes should be available to most members of the forum* - and given that the challenge can be any sort of Moroccan dish there is plenty of scope for entries so I'm trusting there will be lots!

I'm hoping that rather than me just choosing the winner we can somehow involve members in voting (anonymously via a poll?) for a winner. It sort of depends on how many entries we get. Do folk think that would be a good idea?

* Even in France and Thailand @Wandering Bob and @Yorky! :)

I'm hoping that rather than me just choosing the winner we can somehow involve members in voting (anonymously via a poll?) for a winner. It sort of depends on how many entries we get. Do folk think that would be a good idea?

* Even in France and Thailand @Wandering Bob and @Yorky! :)
I can't think of anything more fair than this.

Never thought about Moroccan dishes before, but since I am new to all this I know there are lots I am not thinking about. Well I may try but going to have to do lots or research to see that is out there and what i would like to try.

Never thought about Moroccan dishes before, but since I am new to all this I know there are lots I am not thinking about. Well I may try but going to have to do lots or research to see that is out there and what i would like to try.

Please do join in - there are plenty of recipes on the internet. The most iconic dish is probably a tagine (named after the dish in which it is cooked). Tagines do not have to be cooked in tagines! Basically its a spicy stew often made with lamb or chicken and chickpeas included, but there are plenty of recipes for vegetable tagines. Traditionally it is served with couscous and harissa (a hot spicy paste made from peppers and chillies).

We are never overrun by entries for these challenges so we need all the participation we can get! Its all in the name of fun.

I've just been through my cookery books and realised I only have two books dedicated to Moroccan food (although lots of other books, as Rick Sten's Mediterranean Escapes include Moroccan dishes). Both date from the 80's.

The two books I have are:

Photo on 18-07-2018 at 17.22.jpg

Photo on 18-07-2018 at 17.23.jpg

The first one is a generic step book (you know the sort) but its actually rather good. B'stilla anyone?

The second is by a favourite chef of mine who was born in the USA but found fame in the UK.

Something with fish perhaps? I'll bet you get some good fresh fish in Guernsey...

Fish. A sore point at the moment, popped out yesterday and this morning to get a few mackerel intending to do mackerel papillote but didn't get a thing. They normally practically give themselves up.

Back
Top Bottom