The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Aubergine (Eggplant)

Well, its judgement time. Sorry I'm a bit late but I'm away from home right now. A BIG thanks to everyone who entered. There were 7 entries in total and as usual, its very difficult to pick a winner. Here were the entries (in date order). I think I's be right in saying that all but one recipe were vegetarian, if not vegan. This could be a first for the Challenge.

@Elawin: Imam Bayildi (Stuffed Aubergines)
A classic dish, beautifully presented. I made this a while ago but didn't know about the technique of stuffing slits in the aubergine. I'm about to cook this when I get back home, with some baby aubergines.

@Frizz1974: Caponata
Another lovely classic aubergine dish - there are many versions of Caponata but I particularly liked the use of black olives and red wine vinegar here.

@Herbie: Syrian Moussaka
An inventive combination of two recipes, this Moussaka is vegan too. Its on my menu list!

@ElizabethB: Eggplant (Aubergine) My Way
I just loved the combination of prawns (shrimp), cheese and aubergine (eggplant). The photo had me drooling.

@Yorky: Green Aubergine Curry
@Yorky makes the best curries ever. I, too, tried making a curry using green aubergines and can vouch for the fact that they are completely different from purple aubergines.

@The Late Night Gourmet: Hasselback Baby Eggplant Parmesan
@The Late Night Gourmet was as innovative as always. This recipe simply looks delicious!

@Sandra: Eggplant Balls
I was excited by this dish. It had simply never occurred to me to make balls from aubergine. Its an elegant and simple presentation - something I'm beginning to associate with @Sandra :)

So - which to choose? My final shortlist was Eggplant Balls and Eggplant (Aubergine) My Way. Finally I've chosen Eggplant (Aubergine) My Way - mainly because I love the idea of seafood and aubergine together and the recipe has me drooling! Congratulations @ElizabethB :woot:.

It over to you @ElizabethB, to choose a new ingredient and preside as judge for the next round. All the ingredients chosen before are listed in the top post of this thread. We have been setting the deadline for approximately 3 weeks so that would be midday (GMT) Tuesday 9th January, if that is OK with you. Just post your chosen ingredient in this thread and we will set up the new Recipe Challenge thread.

There were 7 entries in total and as usual, its very difficult to pick a winner. Here were the entries (in date order). I think I's be right in saying that all but one recipe were vegetarian, if not vegan. This could be a first for the Challenge.
Oops, did I forget to add mine in? I thought I had.. Sorry.

@ElizabethB congratulations and well done.

WOW! :thankyou::thankyou::thankyou:

I am surprised and very pleased!

Next ingredient :scratchhead:

Celery, celeriac (celery root), celery seed. Make celery the star of the dish.
I will be out of town from Jan. 6th through 13th so how about a deadline of mid day GMT Monday Jan. 15th.

celery1.png celery2.png Celery_seed.jpg

Again - thank you!

Last edited:
WOW! :thankyou::thankyou::thankyou:

I am surprised and very pleased!

Next ingredient :scratchhead:

Celery, celeriac (celery root), celery seed. Celery as the focus.
I will be out of town from Jan. 6th through 13th so how about a deadline of mid day GMT Monday Jan. 15th.

Again - thank you!

Jan 15th will be fine. Things are usually a bit quiet over Christmas anyway.

Congratulations, @ElizabethB, and very well deserved!

Your choice of ingredient for the next challenge doesn't surprise me, considering where you live ( it's part of The Trinity, after all!) this is another excuse for me to make gumbo, though I believe I've already posted a recipe so I can't enter that. This is going to be challenging, which always makes it more exciting!

Back
Top Bottom