The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Bread

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
2:50 PM
Congratulations go to @SatNavSaysStraightOn who won the Recipe Challenge ‘sesame seeds’ with a recipe for Sesame Seed Snaps and has chosen bread (as an ingredient within a recipe) as the next challenge ingredient. The new extended deadline for entries is midday Saturday 14th July (BST).

bread.jpg

The full list of previous winners, recipes and chosen ingredients can be found here.

A Reminder of the"Rules" (revised May 2017)

You must post up the recipe here on CookingBites during the time frame of the competition (no screenshots of or links to recipes on other sites other than crediting is permitted).
  • The recipe must contain the ingredient specified in the challenge.
  • The recipe must have the 'recipe' prefix and the 'CookingBites recipe challenge' tag. It should also have the correct normal tags so the recipe below would have the 'chicken' and 'lemons' tags at a minimum.
upload_2017-5-27_10-53-46-png.png

• The recipe must be linked to in this thread to indicate participation in the current recipe challenge.
  • (New) Cooking the recipe is optional, though it is encouraged.
  • (New) Photographs are optional, but encouraged.
  • To include everyone in any challenge, a suitable vegetarian/vegan/allergy free/intolerance free substitution will be permitted if the challenge ingredient is something a participant can not or does not eat, for whatever reason. What is permitted is up to the current challenge judge to decide on.
  • (New) In the event that an ingredient is unavailable regionally, substitutions should be agreed with the judge.
  • The judge's (or site owner's) decision is final and the new winner will select the next ingredient and the time frame...
  • And finally, as always, in the event of any dispute the site owner has the final say.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
To Clarify....

Anything to do with bread
(leaven or unleavened), but not shop bought breadcrumbs and torn up pita on a salad won't inspire me.
Anything containing or using bread but your everyday lunch won't inspire me. (It doesn't mean you can't enter it though.)
Anything using bread dough (leaven or unleavened) but a bog standard tortilla or pizza won't inspire me. (It doesn't mean you can't enter it though.)

I'm looking for something that is creative and interesting and more importantly, different.

Last edited:
Now I have little excuse than to try making gf bread again.

I'm not sure if a loaf on its own counts... think the bread has to be an ingredient in a recipe - which, of course, gluten free bread could be.

I'm thinking of so many ideas that I'm having trouble narrowing down things! There are some rather interesting retro recipes from long ago...

I'm not sure if a loaf on its own counts... think the bread has to be an ingredient in a recipe - which, of course, gluten free bread could be.

I'm thinking of so many ideas that I'm having trouble narrowing down things! There are some rather interesting retro recipes from long ago...
I was thinking of making a loaf too (but not your bog standard loaf)

I'll enter the challenge if I manage a decent gf loaf first.

You guys keep using the word "bog." Translation please.

Its only ever used in conjunction with 'standard' as far as I'm aware - 'bog standard' means 'what you would expect - a basic common product'.

Of course the word 'bog' has two other uses in the UK. 'Bog' as in a muddy swamp and the slang 'bog' meaning a toilet (lavatory) bowl. So people will often say 'I'm going to the 'bog' when they need to pee. A lot of people refer to toilet paper as 'bog roll'.

https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/bog-standard.html
First recorded in the early 1960s, although there are numerous hearsay reports of its colloquial use in the UK before then. Given that it is quite a colourful-sounding phrase and that it is quite recent, it is surprising that a definitive origin can't be found. Most of the early citations - and there aren't many of those - come from the technical world, either computing or engineering. The earliest found to date is from the October 1968 edition of Hot Car:

The brakes are bog-standard - anyway Barry says he only uses them in the paddock!

Last edited:
So, in other words, a pizza using a different type of dough and/or a non-traditional topping would be a good entry? Asking because we had already planned pizza, 3 of them with traditional toppings, but 1 not. Also, I'm using a new dough, a no knead that you make the night before, let sit out all night, then ball and refrigerate until a couple of hours before use.

Its only ever used in conjunction with 'standard' as far as I'm aware - 'bog standard' means 'what you would expect - a basic common product'.

Of course the word 'bog' has two other uses in the UK. 'Bog' as in a muddy swamp and the slang 'bog' meaning a toilet (lavatory) bowl. So people will often say 'I'm going to the 'bog' when they need to pee. A lot of people refer to toilet paper as 'bog roll'.

https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/bog-standard.html
OED can beat that! - 1962 Motor Sport Apr. 283/1 (advt.) Bog standard Sprite, 1959, two owners.
http://www.oed.com/view/Entry/251255?redirectedFrom=bog-standard#eid

I'll enter the challenge if I manage a decent gf loaf first.

Well, you know, if you make gluten free bread and its a bit tough it could be ideal for using broken up or turned into crumb in a recipe. Plus - its OK to use bought bread and use that in a recipe for the challenge.

Well, you know, if you make gluten free bread and its a bit tough it could be ideal for using broken up or turned into crumb in a recipe. Plus - its OK to use bought bread and use that in a recipe for the challenge.
Good idea, I'll do both then. I have a plan for breakfast using bought gf bread to start with.

Back
Top Bottom