The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Bread

Now I have little excuse than to try making gf bread again.

I'm not sure if a loaf on its own counts... think the bread has to be an ingredient in a recipe - which, of course, gluten free bread could be

I was thinking of making a loaf too (but not your bog standard loaf)

Anything using bread dough (leaven or unleavened) but a bog standard tortilla or pizza won't inspire me. (It doesn't mean you can't enter it though.)

Making a loaf of bread is fine. Just a normal loaf of bread /sourdough won't be interesting interesting enough to qualify. Something extra needs to be done to lift it out of the zone of normal and make it interesting. How is up to you.

Making a loaf of bread is fine. Just a normal loaf of bread /sourdough won't be interesting interesting enough to qualify. Something extra needs to be done to lift it out of the zone of normal and make it interesting. How is up to you.

Sorry I misunderstood re the loaf of bread. The reason I misunderstood is that this means a change in the way we have run the challenge in the past. So - if for example, as judge, I chose 'cake' as the ingredient, folk could either enter a cake recipe or a recipe which included cake. Similarly, if I chose 'cheese' we could submit recipes for cheese or recipes including cheese. Maybe its just never come up in the past as this is the first time the ingredient itself already has 'a recipe'.

Maybe its just never come up in the past as this is the first time the ingredient itself already has 'a recipe'.
One could argue that both cheese and cake have a standard recipe as well. Carrot cake has additions to that basic cake recipe. What is referred to as cottage cheese of the home-made variety (heat milk, add vinegar or lemon, separate curds) is then added to our modified to create other types of cheeses, Wensleydale Springs to mind as an example, or Lancashire or Cheshire. All very similar fresh cheeses. Bread being both the ingredient or a recipe isn't any different in that sense, at least that was what I thought.

Plus I thought keeping it as using bread within a recipe limited it quite a bit, hence taking it to the dough concept expanded options a tad.

One could argue that both cheese and cake have a standard recipe as well. Carrot cake has additions to that basic cake recipe. What is referred to as cottage cheese of the home-made variety (heat milk, add vinegar or lemon, separate curds) is then added to our modified to create other types of cheeses, Wensleydale Springs to mind as an example, or Lancashire or Cheshire. All very similar fresh cheeses. Bread being both the ingredient or a recipe isn't any different in that sense, at least that was what I thought.

Plus I thought keeping it as using bread within a recipe limited it quite a bit, hence taking it to the dough concept expanded options a tad.

My point was that it is not any different - it just opens up the way the ingredient challenge works if ingredients are chosen which in themselves have recipes. Another example might be 'sausages' - which would include submission of recipes to make sausages as well as recipes containing sausages. Similarly 'ham' or 'bacon'. I'm sure there are lots of examples.

My point was that it is not any different - it just opens up the way the ingredient challenge works if ingredients are chosen which in themselves have recipes.
Haven't we already had other examples though? I thought we had. Certainly I have entered recipes to make cheese where cheese had been chosen (or thought I had). And I was certain we'd had a recipe to make Marmite.

Checking we have had ham, cheese, Marmite, chocolate, pasta, vinegar, cream (ok pushing it but) and sausages as other examples.

My memory is that we have had pasta, Marmite, ham and cheese - but I don't recall anyone entering recipes for those things - I think I might have linked to or posted a recipe for making Marmite out of interest but it wasn't an entry. Nor do I recall any recipes for making ham. I don't think you ever posted a recipe for making cheese as an entry although I'm sure you have posted recipes for making cheese.

Spinach, mushroom, and smoked mozzarella pizza

full.jpg

https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/no-knead-pizza-dough.12940/

https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/spinach-mushroom-and-smoked-mozzarella-pizza.12942/

I've got some really good (I think) ideas for this challenge but am decorating this week and in Scotland (hopefully sampling delicious seafood) next week.

I've got some really good (I think) ideas for this challenge but am decorating this week and in Scotland (hopefully sampling delicious seafood) next week.

We could extend it (and often do) but @SatNavSaysStraightOn has an up and coming hospital stay shortly after the deadline. I wonder if we could extend it by two weeks perhaps? I've got lots of ideas too! More than I have time to make as I'm away next week too.

Its up to the judge, as always. What do you think @SatNavSaysStraightOn? That would make a new deadline of Tuesday 3rd of July.

Back
Top Bottom