The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Butter

Discussion in 'Competitions & Challenges, Questions & Quizzes' started by morning glory, Jan 3, 2019.

1. morning glory

morning glory Obsessive cook Staff Member

Welcome to the CookingBites Recipe Challenge. Judge @The Late Night Gourmet who won the previous challenge has chosen butter and other cooking fats or vegan/vegetarian butters as the next ingredient.

TMBSTK_CookingFats_2017_C12_06_3b-800x450.jpg

To enter, all you need to do is post a recipe featuring butter, margarine, lard or other cooking fat as a new thread, tag it "CookingBites Recipe Challenge" and post a link to it in this thread.

The challenge will run for four weeks, ending at 12:00 GMT on 31st January.

Challenge rules and a list of previous winners and ingredients can be found here.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
    MypinchofItaly likes this.
  2. morning glory

An interesting choice...

3. Herbie

Herbie Senior Member

Indeed. I'e not experimented much with dairy-free "butter" apart from a little baking or spread on toast. I'l have a think.

4. morning glory

Lots of possibilities for nut butters (assuming they count ). Obviously peanut butter comes to mind but there are many other nut butters.

5. Herbie

Herbie Senior Member

I love nut butters. My favourite are almond or peanut mixed with seeds. Has to be with no added sugar.

I'm researching making my own vegan 'butter' which can be done with coconut oil and vinegar and a few other ingredients.

morning glory likes this.
  6. morning glory

I'll be interested to see the recipe/results.

7. The Late Night Gourmet

The Late Night Gourmet Über Member

I can't include nut butters, because they have a fundamentally different primary use from dairy butters. While you can spread both on a slice of toast, when was the last time you melted peanut butter in a pan to cook an omelet? I don't think Jacques Pepin would approve. :cook:

Wandering Bob and MypinchofItaly like this.
  8. morning glory

OK - I understand.

9. MypinchofItaly

MypinchofItaly Über Member

Herbie Senior Member

Well, I've made vegan butter! It is setting in the fridge so I'll have buttered toast tomorrow. It was easy to make but I made an error in my shopping so I'll be able to improve on it.

morning glory and MypinchofItaly like this.
  12. MypinchofItaly

Vegan butter? I'm very curious to see your recipe!

13. morning glory

The big problem I'm having with this challenge is developing original recipes (which is my thing). Everything I can think of seems to have been done before! Anyway - the quest continues.

14. rascal

rascal Senior Member

Butter chicken springs to mind.

Russ

Yorky and morning glory like this.
  15. morning glory

Yes - it keeps spring into my mind too!

rascal likes this.