The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Butter

Home-made butter

fullsizeoutput_4041.jpeg

We could change the rules because of this! :hungry:

Did I break the rules again?

You know I get confused. The rules for each "challenge" are different. I have trouble keeping up.

banner-1.gif

Last edited:
Did I break the rules again?

You know I get confused. The rules for each "challenge" are different. I have trouble keeping up.

View attachment 22145

Sorry - the rules for the CookingBites Recipe Challenge state that the recipe must not have been posted before. I think the idea of this was to encourage new content.

The CookingBites Prize Challenge allows previously posted recipes.

Sorry - the rules for the CookingBites Recipe Challenge state that the recipe must not have been posted before. I think the idea of this was to encourage new content.

The CookingBites Prize Challenge allows previously posted recipes.

Oh dear, I am heartbroken.

I'll search for solace in the fact that my pension has taken another hit from the exchange rate.

First off, thank you to everyone who competed with what turned out to be a difficult ingredient. I picked it because it's something that everyone has, and because it does have so many uses. But, that universality also made it a difficult ingredient to feature. Things started slowly, and I was concerned that I would only get a handful of responses, so I'm amazed at how many excellent creations we got.

I do have to confess that my ulterior motive for ingredients I've picked in these challenges is to discover creative new ways to use the ingredient I picked. You all definitely came through with flying colors! With the cookingbites recipe challenge tag as the guide, here are the recipes under consideration:

morning glory
  • The Lady's Relish
  • Recipe Linguine with The Lady's Relish
  • Home-made butter
  • Garlic Butter Bombs
  • Cabbage Wedge Stuffed with Juniper Butter 'en Papillote'
  • Butter Croissants
  • Cherry Cakes 'en papillote'
  • Anchovy and Mushroom Buns

medtran49
  • Butter pecan shortbread cookies
  • California Chicken Salad
  • Butter cake with butter toffee bit

smellycat
  • Brown Butter Salted Caramel Sauce

MypinchofItaly
  • Baked rice with savoy cabbage
  • Bread with butter & anchovies
  • Cinnamon-flavoured butter cream

epicuric
  • Anchovy butter
If a recipe was meant to be submitted but it wasn't tagged, and it was posted before the deadline, I will also consider it along with the above. But, please be quick, since I will declare a winner later today.

Since there don't seem to be any missing entries, I will proceed. This particular challenge had entries that fell into two broad sub-categories: ones that highlight the butter (noting that this included lard and shortening), and ones that have an inventive use for the butter. I can tell you that those recipes that highlight the butter will absolutely be ones I will make: they're elegant in their simplicity, and they all have a variety of uses that enhance other dishes. I love the idea of having something handy that can make.

Even though I didn't pick it as the winner, I will certainly start with @morning glory's Home-made butter recipe as a baseline for everything else. Such a cool idea. I also don't think I've seen anyone submit quite so many recipes in a challenge, so @morning glory wins the honorary Busy Bee Award (which I just made up).

I've stalled long enough, so here's the winner:

Baked rice with savoy cabbage
by @MypinchofItaly

baked-rice-and-savoy-cabbage-jpg.jpg

This is one that I missed for some reason when it was first posted, but I kept coming back to it because of its inventive use of lard. This is a case where the lard isn't something you can taste, but its impact is unmistakable.

Since there don't seem to be any missing entries, I will proceed. This particular challenge had entries that fell into two broad sub-categories: ones that highlight the butter (noting that this included lard and shortening), and ones that have an inventive use for the butter. I can tell you that those recipes that highlight the butter will absolutely be ones I will make: they're elegant in their simplicity, and they all have a variety of uses that enhance other dishes. I love the idea of having something handy that can make.

Even though I didn't pick it as the winner, I will certainly start with @morning glory's Home-made butter recipe as a baseline for everything else. Such a cool idea. I also don't think I've seen anyone submit quite so many recipes in a challenge, so @morning glory wins the honorary Busy Bee Award (which I just made up).

I've stalled long enough, so here's the winner:

Baked rice with savoy cabbage
by @MypinchofItaly

baked-rice-and-savoy-cabbage-jpg.jpg

This is one that I missed for some reason when it was first posted, but I kept coming back to it because of its inventive use of lard. This is a case where the lard isn't something you can taste, but its impact is unmistakable.

Oh! Thank you! A recipe a little silent, I really did not expect it and I'm glad you liked it.
Now I take a few moments to think of a new ingredient that I had not really thought about!

Back
Top Bottom