The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Coconut

Very pretty...looking forward to the recipe!

I'm afraid I've discovered that it isn't just that I don't like coconut milk but that I'm intolerant to it! I had to keep tasting the sauce to adjust seasoning. I immediately started feeling queasy - this is the same effect as I get with mayonnaise and taramasalata. Nothing life threatening, just unpleasant. It takes a couple of hours to pass. Then in the evening I scraped the tiniest amount of a mushroom paté that I had made earlier, using coconut fat (to make it vegan). I had to taste test it. It was the smallest amount - not even half a teaspoon but I immediately felt queasy again. Strange really but not psychological. I was angry that I couldn't have more mushroom paté!

I'm afraid I've discovered that it isn't just that I don't like coconut milk but that I'm intolerant to it! I had to keep tasting the sauce to adjust seasoning. I immediately started feeling queasy - this is the same effect as I get with mayonnaise and taramasalata. Nothing life threatening, just unpleasant. It takes a couple of hours to pass. Then in the evening I scraped the tiniest amount of a mushroom paté that I had made earlier, using coconut fat (to make it vegan). I had to taste test it. It was the smallest amount - not even half a teaspoon but I immediately felt queasy again. Strange really but not psychological. I was angry that I couldn't have more mushroom paté!
I can't have more than the tiniest amount of coconut oil, but have no problems at all with coconut milk.

img_0962-jpg.jpg

Coconut Beet Samosa on a Beet Green Chimichurri. I combined the beet greens with curry leaves, vinegar, lime juice, garlic, fenugreek leaves, and chestnuts to make the chimichurri.

Updated image to show the prettier view of the beets (oh...and, of course, the coconut).

Attachments

• IMG_0959.JPG
    IMG_0959.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 250
Last edited:
It looks delicious, and apart from the addition of lemon grass (which I don't really like) is much like a lot of other south and south-east Asian dishes.
It may well be - but I need someone to test the sauce. I tasted it and wasn't sure (then I got the intolerance issues). But I wasn't certain if the taste was right before I got the issues. I am hoping @The Late Night Gourmet might be prepared to test the recipe... :D

I am hoping @The Late Night Gourmet might be prepared to test the recipe... :D
I was thinking about it, but it's behind goulash and welsh cakes in my queue. :) I am also anxious to try some vendevi I ordered that didn't show up in time for the samosas. Now, I just need to pick up some tofu!

It may well be - but I need someone to test the sauce. I tasted it and wasn't sure (then I got the intolerance issues). But I wasn't certain if the taste was right before I got the issues. I am hoping @The Late Night Gourmet might be prepared to test the recipe... :D
That's the problem. I've never eaten it, so don't know what it's supposed to taste like. You really need someone who would be more likely to know how it should taste.

I was thinking about it, but it's behind goulash and welsh cakes in my queue. :) I am also anxious to try some vendevi I ordered that didn't show up in time for the samosas. Now, I just need to pick up some tofu!
No worries. Its just the sauce that needs testing - could be chicken or prawns not Quorn. No tofu in that recipe.

What is vendevi - I googled to no avail?

That's the problem. I've never eaten it, so don't know what it's supposed to taste like. You really need someone who would be more likely to know how it should taste.
Well, I've never eaten it before either! It isn't an authentic Laotian recipe I've copied directly from somewhere. I just looked at lots of Laotian curry recipes and pulled together the sauce from various ingredients which seemed to come up in the recipes. I just want to know if it tastes good - not if it tastes authentic. :D I should have called it 'Laotian influenced'.

Back
Top Bottom