The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Coconut

My apologies. I am glad of the extension because it gives me this weekend to try something. I have only just started cooking again and it is rather hard to stay on my feet for long. I shall have to have a look through my recipes and see if I can find something I have not already posted on here because I know I have plenty of recipes that use coconut!

My first Recipe Challenge

https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/coconut-shrimp-with-coconut-risotto-and-coconut-salad.11095/

Coconut Shrimp and Coconut Risotto with a Coconut Salad

shrimp8.jpg

salad1.jpg

Coconut Shrimp and Coconut Risotto with a Coconut Salad
Very impressive.

Detailed comments are in your recipe thread, but I have to admit that you really did highlight coconut better than I did (while I love my samosas, there's no getting around the fact that the beets are the star).

@The Late Night Gourmet

Thank You!

That makes me :happy:.

I was concerned about overdoing the coconut. It actually worked out very well. The coconut is most present in the shrimp. It is a subtle underpinning in the Risotto. As for the salad - that was a last minute toss in. It worked well with the grapes and Feta.

I have never used coconut in a savory dish so this was a fun and thankfully successful, experiment.

Vegan caramel sauce. Another really easy recipe.

If I have time at the weekend I will make Moqueca Baiana. I have a recipe a Brazilian student gave me when she lived with us the other year. I'll see if I can fish (sorry) it out.

ETA: I will miss the deadline but will certainly make it again soon and post here. We have guests tomorrow and I've already bought all the food and made half of it.

Edited again. Now I've remembered the most amazing food I used to get in London at Bangkok Kitchen. I think the dish was Chu Chi Pla (salmon in a very hot coconut sauce). Sadly, It looks like the place is now closed.

Last edited:
Ok.

My hubby made the Thai green curry with tinned coconut cream :)thumbsdown:) so I've just the fresh coconut to make a creamy tomato and coconut soup and the rest of the fresh coconut was used to make homemade coconut milk and homemade coconut meal.

Hopefully I'll get a photo of the final product this evening in daylight... Fingers crossed.

Presented by my hubby, so lacking @morning glory's presentation skills and photo'ed by me on my tablet, so lacking @morning glory's presentation skills. Served with IKEA's vegan veggie balls.

DSC_2173.JPG

Last edited:
I've seen them being harvested in the Caribbean. Health & Safety mob back home would go ballistic.

In north eastern Australia they were planted all along the coast & are a dangerous menace so the councils have installed frames to catch the fallen fruits. Not sure if they are collected for food use though. Probably not. We are very wasteful here.

A late entry. I had hoped to have had time to make this and take photos for you but that hasn't happenned, so here is a delicious and very easy cocnut cake. I will add the pictures to the recipe thread, next time I make it.

Coconut Cake (or as titled by my collegue) Auntie Evelyn's coconut loaf

We were discussing easy to make cakes that don't necessarily need any icing and a collegue mentioned this old family recipe. I have made it a few times and is very popular with my daughter-in-law who likes all things coconutty.
This cake can be made in various shapes but the easiest is as a tray bake and cut into squares, but could be made in a loaf tin and served in slices. I have also made it in sandwich tins and used a cream cheese icing as the filling and topping for a celebration cake.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for all your excellent entries. I've made a list with a few comments (nice ones!) to help me come to a decision.

@The Late Night Gourmet - your coconut macaroons look gorgeous. I haven't had coconut macaroons since I was a little girl, but I am sure they were not made in the same way.
@morning glory - your Laotian green curry looks fantastic, as does everything you post. Sorry to put you through so much torture. I'm sure if your son and daughter loved it, it must taste just fine.
@The Late Night Gourmet - your coconut beet samosa's look lovely, but like you say they look like hard work. (This is from someone who has never been any good at cooking beetroot.)
@ElizabethB - Coconut Shrimp and Coconut Risotto with a Coconut Salad - very impressive! A coconut lover's dream!
@Herbie - Vegan caramel sauce - sounds delicious. I bet this would make a wonderful alternative to custard.
@SatNavSaysStraightOn - Tomato and Coconut Soup - I just love tomato soup, always have done. This is definitely going on my "to try" list.
@SatNavSaysStraightOn - Home made coconut milk - A very useful recipe. I use a lot of coconut milk but have never ever thought of making my own. Coconuts are quite cheap these days, so I'll have to give it a go.
@SatNavSaysStraightOn - Coconut Chutney - sounds interesting and again something I've never had before. Strange, given my preference for south Asian food.
@Kake Lover - Coconut cake - Again something I haven't had since I was a little girl. Sugar was on ration in those days, so I wonder if this would work with a little less sugar?

Back
Top Bottom