The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Limes

Tequila Lime and Coriander Chicken

fullsizeoutput_2e7f.jpeg

img_1266-jpg.jpg

Chili-Lime Burger. I've changed the image to show the completed product, since it doesn't look as plain and brown as I thought originally. But, to really get a sense of what's going on in that patty, you do need to see the recipe.

A Calabrian chili pepper, Pickled habanero, and chopped lime complete the picture with lean ground sirloin and a big blop of guacamole. The chili and the lime dance together beautifully.

Last edited:
18D7B827-85ED-432F-A419-3921690894BE.jpeg

Lotus Root and Lime Leaf Stir-Fry.
I went to an Asian grocery store to get lime leaf, and one thing led to another. I won't apologize for the things I bought: 3 types of mushroom, lotus root, 7 kinds of pocky (a Japanese snack food), mei fun noodles, and mundane things.

I saw a recipe that used the lime leaf, finely chopped, in a marinade. I decided to take that as a base, and use it as a stir-fry sauce. The lime leaf is very prominent this way, but also somehow manages to be complimentary. I'd compare the flavor of the leaf to what it would taste like if there were a mild habanero. It has that unique fruity sort of flavor. But, it doesn't obscure the other elements: the shiitake mushrooms blend nicely, and the pickled enoki mushrooms add an almost rice noodle feel. I will definitely make a sauce with lime leaf again.

Last edited:
I was about to renege on this challenge because the price of limes here has escalated over the past week. However, a friend of my wife heard about my dilemma and sent me a few.

Today I tried slicing the limes with the mandolin but either it, or me, were out of tune (and the skins were very tough). My wife moved me aside and attacked them with my best chef's knife so I retreated to the stoep with a beer.

You know it makes sense.

Today I tried slicing the limes with the mandolin but either it, or me, were out of tune (and the skins were very tough). My wife moved me aside and attacked them with my best chef's knife so I retreated to the stoep with a beer.

A little advice if I may ask.

I've boiled up the chopped limes in about 2/3rds of the quantity of water suggested. 40 minutes boiling then added 1/3rd of the sugar suggested. Another 15 minutes simmering and although it tastes very good (slightly sweet but very tart) it has the consistency of a 1960's Chinese soup.

Any ideas?

[Note: I have never 'cooked' marmalade nor jam before so I'm out on a limb here]

A little advice if I may ask.

I've boiled up the chopped limes in about 2/3rds of the quantity of water suggested. 40 minutes boiling then added 1/3rd of the sugar suggested. Another 15 minutes simmering and although it tastes very good (slightly sweet but very tart) it has the consistency of a 1960's Chinese soup.

Any ideas?

[Note: I have never 'cooked' marmalade nor jam before so I'm out on a limb here]

I appear to have it sussed.

I simmered it for a further 20 minutes and it became lava like. Allowed it to cool and then jarred it. The jars will be relocated to the fridge but there was a little left over. A couple of slices of buttered toast and the remainder just "poured" on. Good.

I'll post images tomorrow - it's dark now.

You know it makes sense.

I found the same thing when I was making the marmalade. I was expecting perfectly thin slices, but a lot of the skins were too tough to penetrate effectively. In some cases, with riper ones, it would almost smash the fruit instead. I don’t understand why something that can slice your finger off has trouble with the skin of a lime. I ended up using a knife with about half of it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom