The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Milk & Cream

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
12:57 AM
Congratulations go to @Kake Lover over who won the Recipe Challenge 'limes' with a recipe for Lime and Basil Sorbet and has chosen 'milk and/or cream (animal or plant based)' as the next challenge ingredients. The deadline for entries is extended to midday (GMT +1) Sunday 29th April.

images-301.jpeg

A Reminder of the "Rules" (revised May 2017)
You must post up the recipe here on CookingBites during the time frame of the competition (no screenshots of or links to recipes on other sites other than crediting is permitted).

• The recipe must contain the ingredient specified in the challenge.
  • The recipe must have the 'recipe' prefix and the 'CookingBites recipe challenge' tag. It should also have the correct normal tags so the recipe below would have the 'chicken' and 'lemons' tags at a minimum.
upload_2017-5-27_10-53-46-png.png

• The recipe must be linked to in this thread to indicate participation in the current recipe challenge.
  • (New) Cooking the recipe is optional, though it is encouraged.
  • (New) Photographs are optional, but encouraged.
  • To include everyone in any challenge, a suitable vegetarian/vegan/allergy free/intolerance free substitution will be permitted if the challenge ingredient is something a participant can not or does not eat, for whatever reason. What is permitted is up to the current challenge judge to decide on.
  • (New) In the event that an ingredient is unavailable regionally, substitutions should be agreed with the judge.
  • The judge's (or site owner's) decision is final and the new winner will select the next ingredient and the time frame...
  • And finally, as always, in the event of any dispute the site owner has the final say.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
List of previous winners, winning recipe and the challenge ingredient they chose:

All of the winning recipes can be found here, under the tag "CB Challenge Winning Recipes”.
@CraigC who won with a recipe for Cupcake/Muffin Tin Thighs and chose limes.
@epicuric who won with a recipe for Pomegranate Possets with lemon and pistachio biscotti and chose chicken.
@flyinglentris who won with a recipe for Salmon Net Allumette and chose Pomegranate .
@ElizabethB who won with a recipe for Eggplant (Aubergine) My Way and chose Celery (including celeriac and celery seed).
@morning glory who won with a recipe for Braised Shallot and Caramelised Garlic Tart and chose aubergine (eggplant).
@The Late Night Gourmet who won with a recipe for Coconut Macaroons and chose garlic.
@Elawin who won with a recipe for Spicy Potato and Lentil Patties and chose coconut.
@Yorky who won with a recipe for Thai Ratatouille and chose mint.
@The Late Night Gourmet who won with his recipe for Scotch Quail Eggs with Mustard Sauce chose peppers (any sort including chillies and peppercorns).
@
epicuric who won with a recipe for Bourbon Sauce and chose sausages (including vegetarian/vegan).
@Yorky who won with his recipe for Aloo Matar and chose vinegar (any)
@SatNavSaysStraightOn who won with her recipes for Chocolate Cashew nut cream, Bitter Chocolate Pasta (Pasta di Cacao) and Sweet Chocolate Pasta (Pasta di Cacao) and has chose garden peas
@Kake Lover who won with a recipe for Apple and lemon nut crumble and chose Chocolate
@classic33 who won with a recipe for Wild Mushroom Pudding and chose Lemons (any part of a fresh (natural and unprocessed) lemon)
@Ken Natton who won with a recipe for Pork and Black Pudding Patty on a Chive Potato Cake with Mustard Sauce and chose Mushrooms
@morning glory who won with a recipe for Saffron Semolina with Berries and chose Potatoes (any type including sweet potatoes)
@Elawin who won with a recipe for Cauliflower, Courgette [Zucchini] and Leek Lasagne and chose Semolina
@alexander who won with a recipe for Chicken roasted with artichokes and mushrooms and chose Cauliflower
@MypinchofItaly who won with a recipe for My risotto with spinach and taleggio cheese and chose Globe Artichokes
@jennyb who won with a recipe for Oat Cakes and chose Spinach
@Kake Lover who won with recipes for Cauliflower cheese soufflé and Cheese and Onion Pie and chose Oats
@MrsDangermouse who won with a recipe for Rhubarb Eton Mess and chose Cheese (including vegan cheese).
@classic33 who won with the recipe for Marmite Noodle Soup and its Variations.and chose Rhubarb
@Kake Lover who won with the recipe for Bubble and Squeak and chose Marmite, or an equivalent yeast extract.
@SatNavSaysStraightOn who won with the recipe for Tempeh, Leek and Mushroom Pie and chose Brussels Sprouts
@Cinisajoy who won with the recipe Cindy's Take on Jambalaya and chose Turkey/Chicken/Cornish Game Hen (Poussin) or any vegetarian alternative such as Tofu/Tempeh/Quorn
@Yorky who won with a recipe for Duck Egg Sambal and chose Prawns/Shrimp/Crayfish
@morning glory who won with a recipe for Self Devouring Salad
and chose Eggs (any type)
@Caribbean girl who won a recipe for Ginger and Cilantro Baked Tilapia and chose Sweetcorn (any form).
@Smokeydoke who won with a recipe for a Light Apricot Cake and chose Ginger (any form).
@classic33 who won with a recipe for Guinness, Beef, Brown Rice and Mushroom Stew and chose Apricots (any form).
@SatNavSaysStraightOn who won with a recipe for Creamy Courgette Soup and chose rice.
@winterybella who won with a recipe for Caramelised Onion, Bacon and Spinach Pizza and chose Courgettes (Zucchini)
@classic33 who won with a recipe for Orange Drizzle Loaf Cake and chose Bulb Onions.
@Caribbean girl who won with a recipe for Cinnamon Chocolate Chip Cookies and chose Oranges
@SatNavSaysStraightOn who won with a recipe for Roasted Garlic, Parsnip and White Bean Soup and chose Cinnamon or Cassia Bark.
@morning glory who won a recipe for a Tomato, Goat's Cheese and Brie Tart and chose Beans or Chickpeas.
@epicuric who won with a recipe for Wholewheat fusilli with roasted vegetables and chose tomatoes.
@winterybella won with a recipe for Tuscan Garlic Chicken and chose pasta.
@morning glory won with a recipe for her Prosciutto, Watermelon and Hearts of Palm and chose chicken.
@Elawin won with a recipe for Beefburgers and chose melon.
@zoribrida won with a Red Lentils recipe and she chose ground beef.
@morning glory won with a Pumpkin and Marrow Tagine recipe and she chose lentils.
@Caribbean girl won with a Stuffed Sweet Peppers with Ground Beef recipe and she chose pumpkin
@L_B won with the Portobello Mushroom Pizza and chose peppers.
@morning glory and @classic33 won with a Smoked Salmon with Pickled Cabbage and Kale Seaweed and Red Cabbage Blueberry Smoothie (respectively) and jointly chose mushrooms.
@winterybella won with with Vegetable Curry with Parsnip and Cauliflower and chose cabbage.
@Duck59 won with a Orange, beetroot and celery salad and chose parsnips.
@morning glory won with a Chicken and Parma Ham Ballotines and chose oranges.
@cupcakechef won with a Porkkanalaatiko - Finnish Carrot Casserole and chose ham.
@classic33 won with a Vegan Heartache Cake (Chocolate Aubergine Torte) and chose carrots.
@morning glory won with a Leek, Potato & Saffron Soup and chose aubergine (egg plant).
@SatNavSaysStraightOn started the comp and chose potatoes.

Last edited:
I hope someone makes burrata. (wink wink)

Great choice for an ingredient. I love milk. I drink almost a quart a day of skim.

Really, really cold whole milk is a trear for me. It tastes rich and buttery.

I'm a third of the way through making that - cakes are not my forte! :ohmy: But we will see, tomorrow.

For this challenge I'm thinking cheese... and a few other ideas.

Make sure you let the pieces warm up a little bit before you eat them. I had forgotten about that when I wrote up the recipe.

You got me on this one. I'm not a big milk fan. I can feed on cottage cheese, cheeses, yogurt, sour cream and sometimes, ice cream. I can put half and half in smoothies and creamer in coffee, but I don't even put milk on cereals. I'll watch what transpires and lurk on this one.

You got me on this one. I'm not a big milk fan. I can feed on cottage cheese, cheeses, yogurt, sour cream and sometimes, ice cream. I can put half and half in smoothies and creamer in coffee, but I don't even put milk on cereals. I'll watch what transpires and lurk on this one.

Please note that cream - presumably including sour cream is included. I should have made that clear in the top post which I've now amended. And you could make your own cottage cheese (or similar) from milk. Its easy! So you have the option to make all sorts of things, even ice-cream.

Back
Top Bottom