The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Pasta

I'd like to pick pate a choux, but since quite a few of us seem to be leery of making pastry, I'll go for phyllo/filo dough. This can be purchased or homemade. Once MG starts the challenge, I'll post the link where I found the directions on how to make it at home, then in the next few days, I'll make up a batch and take pictures. It's surprisingly simple and easy. Savory or sweet dishes.

I'd like to pick pate a choux, but since quite a few of us seem to be leery of making pastry, I'll go for phyllo/filo dough. This can be purchased or homemade. Once MG starts the challenge, I'll post the link where I found the directions on how to make it at home, then in the next few days, I'll make up a batch and take pictures. It's surprisingly simple and easy. Savory or sweet dishes.

Excellent! I can't wait to see what members produce. As it happens I erroneously received a delivery of filo in my on-line Tesco shopping the other day. I'm saying nothing...:whistling:

First off, congratulations, @medtran49! You submitted some teriffic recipes, and yours was a worthy winner. But, I will be using your spaetzle method when I make my Hamburg Stroganoff. Oh yeah...that’s going to happen.

I'd like to pick pate a choux, but since quite a few of us seem to be leery of making pastry, I'll go for phyllo/filo dough.
Pate a choux is something I see on baking competitions, and I’ve always thought it would be a real test of anyone’s baking skills. I will have to try it. I’m excited about this one, since it will force me to do something I wouldn’t normally do.

Last edited:
I’ve always thought it would be a real test of anyone’s baking skills. I will have to try it. I’m excited about this one, since it will force me to do something I wouldn’t normally do.

"test of anyone’s baking skills"….yes, and your patience (and quite possibly your forearms).

I've never made it. I was told once by a former wife that "life is too short - just go and buy some" - which is probably a fair comment. I think that anyone who claims to be a competent cook must be able to bake - and that demonstrable competence at baking should include the mastery of the techniques involved in making choux pastry.

Good luck to you

Using a stand mixer or even a food processor as Jacques Pepin did on 1 of his shows to make pate a choux makes the process much easier. I made it by hand a few times many years ago, but it's certainly easier using the mixer. I'm going to have to make gougeres again. The last time we had them, I used a Hubert Keller recipe with a cumin tomato sauce that made quite a delightful combo. I don't think it's difficult to make, just follow the directions, just like puff pastry or phyllo.

I've never seen a place in the States where you can buy pate a choux dough, phyllo and puff pasty yes, choux no.

I will be using your spaetzle method when I make my Hamburg Stroganoff. Oh yeah...that’s going to happen.

It should be really good. I've made spaetzle a few times when we made an impromptu dinner that used noodles, but didn't have any in the house. To be honest, I'll sit and eat just them tossed with some browned butter (with sage if we have) and nothing else.

"test of anyone’s baking skills"….yes, and your patience (and quite possibly your forearms).

I've never made it. I was told once by a former wife that "life is too short - just go and buy some" - which is probably a fair comment. I think that anyone who claims to be a competent cook must be able to bake - and that demonstrable competence at baking should include the mastery of the techniques involved in making choux pastry.

Good luck to you

I think I'm a competent cook and I don't bake.:headshake:

I think I'm a competent cook and I don't bake.

Apparently neither does @epicuric - a fact that I consider astonishing given that you're both remarkably good cooks.

I could put this down on my list of 'Things I Really Don't Understand' and move on, or ..

...I could reconcile it by remembering that not all sportsmen and sportswomen are good at all sports

I think I'll go with the latter because that list is getting very long now

Apparently neither does @epicuric - a fact that I consider astonishing given that you're both remarkably good cooks.

I could put this down on my list of 'Things I Really Don't Understand' and move on, or ..

...I could reconcile it by remembering that not all sportsmen and sportswomen are good at all sports

I think I'll go with the latter because that list is getting very long now

I just never developed an interest in baking or patisserie. Has nothing to do with being "good at it".

I just never developed an interest in baking or patisserie. Has nothing to do with being "good at it".

I'm very weak in the area of desserts and cakes - pastry and bread are OK & I enjoy making both. I don't really eat desserts very often which may be why I've not developed cake and pudding skills.

Back
Top Bottom