The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Pomegranate

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
1:26 AM
Congratulations go to flyinglentris won the recipe challenge Celery with a recipe for Salmon Net Allumette and has chosen Pomegranate (in any form) as the next challenge ingredient. The deadline for entries is midday (GMT) Friday 9th February.

Unknown-195.jpg

A Reminder of the "Rules" (revised May 2017)
You must post up the recipe here on CookingBites during the time frame of the competition (no screenshots of or links to recipes on other sites other than crediting is permitted).
  • The recipe must contain the ingredient specified in the challenge.
    cid:7FE0F79D-235E-405F-BFEB-6E7D00E5BF69
  • The recipe must have the 'recipe' prefix and the 'CookingBites recipe challenge' tag. It should also have the correct normal tags so the recipe below would have the 'chicken' and 'lemons' tags at a minimum.
upload_2017-5-27_10-53-46.png

• The recipe must be linked to in this thread to indicate participation in the current recipe challenge.
  • (New) Cooking the recipe is optional, though it is encouraged.
  • (New) Photographs are optional, but encouraged.
  • To include everyone in any challenge, a suitable vegetarian/vegan/allergy free/intolerance free substitution will be permitted if the challenge ingredient is something a participant can not or does not eat, for whatever reason. What is permitted is up to the current challenge judge to decide on.
  • (New) In the event that an ingredient is unavailable regionally, substitutions should be agreed with the judge.
  • The judge's decision is final and the new winner will select the next ingredient and the time frame...
    cid:89270376-FE56-4EC9-8E73-CD90C974D51F
  • And finally, as always, in the event of a dispute the site owner has the final say.
    cid:B5D35B1C-4848-4476-B488-83CF2F598F73
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
List of previous winners, winning recipe and the challenge ingredient they chose:

All of the winning recipes can be found here, under the tag "CB Challenge Winning Recipes”.
@ElizabethB who won the recipe challenge aubergine with a recipe for Eggplant (Aubergine) My Way and chose Celery (including celeriac and celery seed).
@morning glory who won the recipe challenge garlic with a recipe for Braised Shallot and Caramelised Garlic Tart and chose aubergine (eggplant).
@TheLateNightGormet who won the recipe challenge "coconut" with a recipe for Coconut Macaroons and chose garlic.
@Elawin who won the ingredient challenge "Mint" with a recipe for Spicy Potato and Lentil Patties and chose coconut.
@Yorky who won the ingredient challenge "Peppers" with a recipe for Thai Ratatouille and chose mint.
@The Late Night Gourmet who won the ingredient challenge "Sausages" with his recipe for Scotch Quail Eggs with Mustard Sauce chose peppers (any sort including chillies and peppercorns).
@
epicuric who won the ingredient challenge "Vinegar" with a recipe for Bourbon Sauce and chose sausages (including vegetarian/vegan).
@Yorky who won the ingredient challenge "Garden Peas" with his recipe for Aloo Matar and chose vinegar (any)
@SatNavSaysStraightOn who with her recipes for Chocolate Cashew nut cream, Bitter Chocolate Pasta (Pasta di Cacao) and Sweet Chocolate Pasta (Pasta di Cacao) and has chose garden peas
@Kake Lover who won with a recipe for Apple and lemon nut crumble and chose Chocolate
@classic33 who won with a recipe for Wild Mushroom Pudding and chose Lemons (any part of a fresh (natural and unprocessed) lemon)
@Ken Natton who won with a recipe for Pork and Black Pudding Patty on a Chive Potato Cake with Mustard Sauce and chose Mushrooms
@morning glory who won with a recipe for Saffron Semolina with Berries and chose Potatoes (any type including sweet potatoes)
@Elawin who won with a recipe for Cauliflower, Courgette [Zucchini] and Leek Lasagne and chose Semolina
@alexander who won with a recipe for Chicken roasted with artichokes and mushrooms and chose Cauliflower
@MypinchofItaly who won with a recipe for My risotto with spinach and taleggio cheese and chose Globe Artichokes
@jennyb who won with a recipe for Oat Cakes and chose Spinach
@Kake Lover who won with recipes for Cauliflower cheese soufflé and Cheese and Onion Pie and chose Oats
@MrsDangermouse who won with a recipe for Rhubarb Eton Mess and chose Cheese (including vegan cheese).
@classic33 who won with the recipe for Marmite Noodle Soup and its Variations.and chose Rhubarb
@Kake Lover who won with the recipe for Bubble and Squeak and chose Marmite, or an equivalent yeast extract.
@SatNavSaysStraightOn who won with the recipe for Tempeh, Leek and Mushroom Pie and chose Brussels Sprouts
@Cinisajoy who won with the recipe Cindy's Take on Jambalaya and chose Turkey/Chicken/Cornish Game Hen (Poussin) or any vegetarian alternative such as Tofu/Tempeh/Quorn
@Yorky who won with a recipe for Duck Egg Sambal and chose Prawns/Shrimp/Crayfish
@morning glory who won with a recipe for Self Devouring Salad
and chose Eggs (any type)
@Caribbean girl who won a recipe for Ginger and Cilantro Baked Tilapia and chose Sweetcorn (any form).
@Smokeydoke who won with a recipe for a Light Apricot Cake and chose Ginger (any form).
@classic33 who won with a recipe for Guinness, Beef, Brown Rice and Mushroom Stew and chose Apricots (any form).
@SatNavSaysStraightOn who won with a recipe for Creamy Courgette Soup and chose rice.
@winterybella who won with a recipe for Caramelised Onion, Bacon and Spinach Pizza and chose Courgettes (Zucchini)
@classic33 who won with a recipe for Orange Drizzle Loaf Cake and chose Bulb Onions.
@Caribbean girl who won with a recipe for Cinnamon Chocolate Chip Cookies and chose Oranges
@SatNavSaysStraightOn who won with a recipe for Roasted Garlic, Parsnip and White Bean Soup and chose Cinnamon or Cassia Bark.
@morning glory who won a recipe for a Tomato, Goat's Cheese and Brie Tart and chose Beans or Chickpeas.
@epicuric who won with a recipe for Wholewheat fusilli with roasted vegetables and chose tomatoes.
@winterybella won with a recipe for Tuscan Garlic Chicken and chose pasta.
@morning glory won with a recipe for her Prosciutto, Watermelon and Hearts of Palm and chose chicken.
@Elawin won with a recipe for Beefburgers and chose melon.
@zoribrida won with a Red Lentils recipe and she chose ground beef.
@morning glory won with a Pumpkin and Marrow Tagine recipe and she chose lentils.
@Caribbean girl won with a Stuffed Sweet Peppers with Ground Beef recipe and she chose pumpkin
@L_B won with the Portobello Mushroom Pizza and chose peppers.
@morning glory and @classic33 won with a Smoked Salmon with Pickled Cabbage and Kale Seaweed and Red Cabbage Blueberry Smoothie (respectively) and jointly chose mushrooms.
@winterybella won with with Vegetable Curry with Parsnip and Cauliflower and chose cabbage.
@Duck59 won with a Orange, beetroot and celery salad and chose parsnips.
@morning glory won with a Chicken and Parma Ham Ballotines and chose oranges.
@cupcakechef won with a Porkkanalaatiko - Finnish Carrot Casserole and chose ham.
@classic33 won with a Vegan Heartache Cake (Chocolate Aubergine Torte) and chose carrots.
@morning glory won with a Leek, Potato & Saffron Soup and chose aubergine (egg plant).
@SatNavSaysStraightOn started the comp and chose potatoes.

Pomegranates called Granadas in Spanish are grown close to the ancient city of Granada, Andalusia and are most popular during the Christmas Season ..

The most popular ways to serve the pomegranate seeds, also called: The Chinese Apple here are:
1) Salads employing fresh goat cheese, walnuts and caramelised onion or red onion with a Sherry Vinaigrette & Evoo on a bed of field greens (Kress,Rocket etcetra) ..
2) Oven baked Monk Fish with pomegranates and drizzles of honey ..
3) Fresh Pomegranate Juice ..
4) Icecream or Greek Yogurt with Pomegranates ..
5) Roast or pan sautéed game birds ..
6) Breakfast / Brunch crepès ..
7) With Venison ..

Their harvest season in November and as mentioned are used during the Christmas Season here in Spain predominantely ..

Pomegranates called Granadas in Spanish are grown close to the ancient city of Granada, Andalusia and are most popular during the Christmas Season ..

The most popular ways to serve the pomegranate seeds, also called: The Chinese Apple here are:
1) Salads employing fresh goat cheese, walnuts and caramelised onion or red onion with a Sherry Vinaigrette & Evoo on a bed of field greens (Kress,Rocket etcetra) ..
2) Oven baked Monk Fish with pomegranates and drizzles of honey ..
3) Fresh Pomegranate Juice ..
4) Icecream or Greek Yogurt with Pomegranates ..
5) Roast or pan sautéed game birds ..
6) Breakfast / Brunch crepès ..
7) With Venison ..

Their harvest season in November and as mentioned are used during the Christmas Season here in Spain predominantely ..

Thank you for demonstrating some of the scope and variety of usage for Pomegranate. I hope we can get some creative and novel ideas spawned from this. I've seen you use that term EVOO before and til today was scratching my head and no, it didn't click, but I looked it up : Extra Virgin Olive Oil. :okay:

I hope the availability of Pomegranate lasts for this challenge. The upcoming Holiday of course, is Carnival, actually just started on January 6th and runs through till about Mardi Gras in Mid February. Plenty of reason to get festive with Pomegranate, whether you adhere to the religious promotion for Carnival or not.

Like everybody else, I love festival foods.

I can certainly get them in the UK at the moment. Although. I doubt they are grown in the UK! In fact, we can get them all year round - imported from Tunisia, Israel, Italy...

There is also a fad for selling the fresh seeds in small containers for 'sprinkling' on salads etc.

Last edited:
I can certainly get them in the UK at the moment. Although. I doubt they are grown in the UK! In fact, we can get them all year round - imported from Tunisia, Israel, Italy...

There is also a fad for selling the fresh seeds in small containers for 'sprinkling' on salads etc.

They originate in the regions of Iran, Afghanistan and India. They've been cultivated in the Mediterranean since the times when Achilles died in Troy and before. In the north, they ripen from December to early February. But are available from the southern hemisphere from March to May. I suppose it is possible to get them year round if they are cultivated in controlled environments.

An easy way to extract pomegranate seeds. Sorry - I could not get a direct link. If you do not want to click on the link type it in the search bar of your browser. http://allrecipes.com/video/716/how-to-seed-a-pomegranate/

I'll have to try this sometime, but I think my way is easier (I didn't invent it...I learned it from Martha Stewart):
  1. Split the pomegranate.
  2. Place seed side of the pomegranate over a bowl.
  3. Using a meat mallet, tap, tap, tap until the seeds start falling out (she used the back of a tablespoon, but that took too long).
  4. Manually remove the white membrane from the parts that stick to the inside of the pomegranate, and remove seeds from it.
  5. Pick any white membrane parts that fall into the bowl.
  6. Repeat with other side.
This way, you aren't getting the seeds wet unless you want to with the recipe. It also doesn't require removing so much of the membrane from bits you break apart in the water.

An easy way to extract pomegranate seeds. Sorry - I could not get a direct link. If you do not want to click on the link type it in the search bar of your browser. http://allrecipes.com/video/716/how-to-seed-a-pomegranate/

I'll have to try this sometime, but I think my way is easier (I didn't invent it...I learned it from Martha Stewart):

@ElizabethB
I don't like that way and like @CraigC , I see a cleaner and easier way. Drier too.

Cut the top off the Pomegranate first.

pomegranate03.png

Throw away the top and then cut a pie shaped wedge out of the side along the pith lines. Clean up that wedge and then just use your fingers to pull the rest apart. Use your thumb or a the tip of a teaspoon to press the arils out. Note: I show the cut Pomegranate over a cutting board, but it is best to cut the Pomegranate and break it up over the bowl that you are collecting the seeds in. Wear clothes you don't care much about as the juice can stain clothing. Keep a plastic bag handy to collect the discarded skins and pith material.

I got 36oz of arils out of 4 Pomegranates and I do plan to do a project with them. However, as the Judge in this competition, I will post the recipe, but not enter the challenge. That wouldn't be fair. My project might give people some ideas though.

Last edited:
@ElizabethB
I don't like that way and like @CraigC , I see a cleaner and easier way. Drier too.

Cut the top off the Pomegranate first.

View attachment 13084
Throw away the top and then cut a pie shaped wedge out of the side along the pith lines. Clean up that wedge and then just use your fingers to pull the rest apart. Use your thumb or a the tip of a teaspoon to press the arils out. Note: I show the cut Pomegranate over a cutting board, but it is best to cut the Pomegranate and break it up over the bowl that you are collecting the seeds in. Wear clothes you don't care much about as the juice can stain clothing. Keep a plastic bag handy to collect the discarded skins and pith material.

I got 36oz of arils out of 4 Pomegranates and I do plan to do a project with them. However, as the Judge in this competition, I will post the recipe, but not enter the challenge. That wouldn't be fair. My project might give people some ideas though.

Not sure why you mentioned me in your post? I'm not a fan of pomegranate and have never cut one open to remove the seeds. Like Richard Boone said to John Wayne, when offered a canned peach in the movie "Big Jake", "No thanks they hurt my teeth."

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom