The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Possible Rules Revision

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
3:09 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
Slight hijack of thread, but I'll move the responses into their own thread once members and participants of the challenge are aware.

Would it help if the rule regarding it must being a new recipe was relaxed?

I know I have previously uploaded various recipes that relied on coconut in one form or another but with them already being uploaded I can't enter them into this coconut challenge. The original aim being that rule was to get people thinking about new ingredients and trying them out, but I realise it is also hindering this challenge.

Is it time to remove the rule and introduce one where new recipes are preferred but existing ones can be submitted after say you have added 1 new recipe with the required ingredient?

So if you added at least 1 new recipe that qualified for this challenge, would it be fair to allow older recipes to be judged as part of this challenge, or perhaps we limited old recipes to 2 per person if they have added 1 new one?

Any thoughts? (I'll make this into a seperate thread shortly but inside this one right now may be the best way of getting responses initially).

The original aim being that rule was to get people thinking about new ingredients and trying them out

I'm not sure if it hinders the challenge. I know that a number of members here have mentioned that they like the challenges because it gets them thinking and exploring ingredients.

So if you added at least 1 new recipe that qualified for this challenge, would it be fair to allow older recipes to be judged as part of this challenge, or perhaps we limited old recipes to 2 per person if they have added 1 new one?

That seems overcomplicated to me. If we allow past recipes then I think we just allow them (with a limit of 2 per member perhaps?).

The number of entries for the Recipe Challenge seems to vary a lot - what concerns me more than that is that it tends to be the same members entering every time. So sometimes we get quite a few entries but from only 3 or 4 members.

I see the challenge is to try a new dish. To experiment. I wanted to join in this month but have been too busy - looking forward to the next one though! I find it interesting to see 'old' recipes being added as it helps explore an ingredient and is really interesting to read and learn.

Would it help if the rule regarding it must being a new recipe was relaxed?
I think it would be a good idea to relax the rule and let us post one or two of our old recipes as well. I often think one of my recipes would make an ideal candidate for the recipe challenge but cannot enter it because I have already posted the recipe previously. This must be the same for other members too. It doesn't seem to hurt the spice challenge.

I do think that there needs to be a proviso in that you must first have uploaded and entered a new recipe into the challenge. If you do that, then you can enter an old recipe. We could easily make it a one for one. Upload one new recipe and you can enter an old recipe of yours as well.... It wouldn't be too difficult to keep track of that, and it would keep the challenge of new ingredients going and the spirit of the challenge going but at the same time acknowledge that some ingredients can be used in a multitude of ways.

Back
Top Bottom