The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Sausages

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
6:50 PM
Congratulations go to @epicuric who won the ingredient challenge "Vinegar" with a recipe for Bourbon Sauce and has chosen sausages (including vegetarian/vegan) as the next challenge ingredient. The sausage does not have to be made from pork - it can be beef, venison, wild boar, ostrich or whatever, either cooked or cured, The recipe may be either a dish containing sausage, or for making a sausage itself. The deadline for entries is Sunday 20th August 2017 at midday (GMT+1)

xuc-xich_11721739.jpg

---------------------------------------

A Reminder of the "Rules" (revised May 2017)

• You must post up the recipe here on CookingBites during the time frame of the competition (no screenshots of or links to recipes on other sites other than crediting is permitted).
  • The recipe must contain the ingredient specified in the challenge. :o_o:
  • The recipe must have the 'recipe' prefix and the 'CookingBites recipe challenge' tag. It should also have the correct normal tags so the recipe below would have the 'chicken' and 'lemons' tags at a minimum.

upload_2017-5-27_10-53-46-png.png
  • The recipe must be linked to in this thread to indicate participation in the current recipe challenge.
  • (New) Cooking the recipe is optional, though it is encouraged.
  • (New) Photographs are optional, but encouraged.
  • To include everyone in any challenge, a suitable vegetarian/vegan/allergy free/intolerance free substitution will be permitted if the challenge ingredient is something a participant can not or does not eat, for whatever reason. What is permitted is up to the current challenge judge to decide on.
  • (New) In the event that an ingredient is unavailable regionally, substitutions should be agreed with the judge.
  • The judge's decision is final and the new winner will select the next ingredient and the time frame... :scratchhead:
  • And finally, as always, in the event of a dispute the site owner has the final say.:cool:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
List of previous winners, winning recipe and the challenge ingredient they chose.

All of the winning recipes can be found here, under the tag "CB Challenge Winning Recipes".

@Yorky who won the ingredient challenge "Garden Peas" with his recipe for Aloo Matar and chose vinegar (any)
@SatNavSaysStraightOn who with her recipes for Chocolate Cashew nut cream, Bitter Chocolate Pasta (Pasta di Cacao) and Sweet Chocolate Pasta (Pasta di Cacao) and has chose garden peas
@Kake Lover who won with a recipe for Apple and lemon nut crumble and chose Chocolate
@classic33 who won with a recipe for Wild Mushroom Pudding and chose Lemons (any part of a fresh (natural and unprocessed) lemon)
@Ken Natton who won with a recipe for Pork and Black Pudding Patty on a Chive Potato Cake with Mustard Sauce and chose Mushrooms
@morning glory who won with a recipe for Saffron Semolina with Berries and chose Potatoes (any type including sweet potatoes)
@Elawin who won with a recipe for Cauliflower, Courgette [Zucchini] and Leek Lasagne and chose Semolina
@alexander who won with a recipe for Chicken roasted with artichokes and mushrooms and chose Cauliflower
@MypinchofItaly who won with a recipe for My risotto with spinach and taleggio cheese and chose Globe Artichokes
@jennyb who won with a recipe for Oat Cakes and chose Spinach
@Kake Lover who won with recipes for Cauliflower cheese soufflé and Cheese and Onion Pie and chose Oats
@MrsDangermouse who won with a recipe for Rhubarb Eton Mess and chose Cheese (including vegan cheese).
@classic33 who won with the recipe for Marmite Noodle Soup and its Variations.and chose Rhubarb
@Kake Lover who won with the recipe for Bubble and Squeak and chose Marmite, or an equivalent yeast extract.
@SatNavSaysStraightOn who won with the recipe for Tempeh, Leek and Mushroom Pie and chose Brussels Sprouts
@Cinisajoy who won with the recipe Cindy's Take on Jambalaya and chose Turkey/Chicken/Cornish Game Hen (Poussin) or any vegetarian alternative such as Tofu/Tempeh/Quorn
@Yorky who won with a recipe for Duck Egg Sambal and chose Prawns/Shrimp/Crayfish
@morning glory who won with a recipe for Self Devouring Salad
and chose Eggs (any type)
@Caribbean girl who won a recipe for Ginger and Cilantro Baked Tilapia and chose Sweetcorn (any form).
@Smokeydoke who won with a recipe for a Light Apricot Cake and chose Ginger (any form).
@classic33 who won with a recipe for Guinness, Beef, Brown Rice and Mushroom Stew and chose Apricots (any form).
@SatNavSaysStraightOn who won with a recipe for Creamy Courgette Soup and chose rice.
@winterybella who won with a recipe for Caramelised Onion, Bacon and Spinach Pizza and chose Courgettes (Zucchini)
@classic33 who won with a recipe for Orange Drizzle Loaf Cake and chose Bulb Onions.
@Caribbean girl who won with a recipe for Cinnamon Chocolate Chip Cookies and chose Oranges
@SatNavSaysStraightOn who won with a recipe for Roasted Garlic, Parsnip and White Bean Soup and chose Cinnamon or Cassia Bark.
@morning glory who won a recipe for a Tomato, Goat's Cheese and Brie Tart and chose Beans or Chickpeas.
@epicuric who won with a recipe for Wholewheat fusilli with roasted vegetables and chose tomatoes.
@winterybella won with a recipe for Tuscan Garlic Chicken and chose pasta.
@morning glory won with a recipe for her Prosciutto, Watermelon and Hearts of Palm and chose chicken.
@Elawin won with a recipe for Beefburgers and chose melon.
@zoribrida won with a Red Lentils recipe and she chose ground beef.
@morning glory won with a Pumpkin and Marrow Tagine recipe and she chose lentils.
@Caribbean girl won with a Stuffed Sweet Peppers with Ground Beef recipe and she chose pumpkin
@L_B won with the Portobello Mushroom Pizza and chose peppers.
@morning glory and @classic33 won with a Smoked Salmon with Pickled Cabbage and Kale Seaweed and Red Cabbage Blueberry Smoothie (respectively) and jointly chose mushrooms.
@winterybella won with with Vegetable Curry with Parsnip and Cauliflower and chose cabbage.
@Duck59 won with a Orange, beetroot and celery salad and chose parsnips.
@morning glory won with a Chicken and Parma Ham Ballotines and chose oranges.
@cupcakechef won with a Porkkanalaatiko - Finnish Carrot Casserole and chose ham.
@classic33 won with a Vegan Heartache Cake (Chocolate Aubergine Torte) and chose carrots.
@morning glory won with a Leek, Potato & Saffron Soup and chose aubergine (egg plant).
@SatNavSaysStraightOn started the comp and chose potatoes.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think that I've already posted my usual recipes which include sausages. I'll need to think.

I think that I've already posted my usual recipes which include sausages. I'll need to think.
You could always tweak them around a bit! I am having trouble with this one too. I like to develop original recipes - but I can't think of anything I can do with sausages that hasn't already been done many times over!

@Yorky, here are some ways fresh porc sausages, blood sausages and chorizo (dried ) are used in Spain & France:
  1. Lentils with sausage
  2. Madrid Meat & Chick pea Cocido
  3. Cassoulet
  4. Great Northern White Beans with Sausages
  5. Asturian Fabada with " Pochas " (enormous sized White beans)
  6. Stuffed Loin of Pork (stuffed with spiced sausage)(Lomo de cerdo relleno)
  7. Tolosa Red Bean Stew with sausages and blood sausage
  8. Braised on flame sausages (fresh)
  9. Braised on flame blood sausages (fresh)
  10. Pot au Feu (prepared with assorted beef and porc meats and marrow of meat bones )
  11. Italian American: Fresh sausages grilled with green bell pepper, onions and potatoes and served in an Italian baguette type bread called a " Hero"
  12. Pizza : pan sauté in a tiny drop of evoo and pan fry until well done, and place to cool and slice and put on top of a Pizza
Hope this was helpful. Have a lovely day.

Last edited by a moderator:
You could always tweak them around a bit! I am having trouble with this one too. I like to develop original recipes - but I can't think of anything I can do with sausages that hasn't already been done many times over!
I think you should invent a new sausage. You have the skills, and the palate! Not sure if you have the necessary kit (I don't, but I am about to trawl fleabay for a Kenwood attachment), but could maybe improvise with casings and a piping bag?

@Yorky, here are some ways fresh porc sausages, blood sausages and chorizo (dried ) are used in Spain & France:
  1. Lentils with sausage
  2. Madrid Meat & Chick pea Cocido
  3. Cassoulet
  4. Great Northern White Beans with Sausages
  5. Asturian Fabada with " Pochas " (enormous sized White beans)
  6. Stuffed Loin of Pork (stuffed with spiced sausage)(Lomo de cerdo relleno)
  7. Tolosa Red Bean Stew with sausages and blood sausage
  8. Braised on flame sausages (fresh)
  9. Braised on flame blood sausages (fresh)
  10. Pot au Feu (prepared with assorted beef and porc meats and marrow of meat bones )
  11. Italian American: Fresh sausages grilled with green bell pepper, onions and potatoes and served in an Italian baguette type bread called a " Hero"
  12. Pizza : pan sauté in a tiny drop of evoo and pan fry until well done, and place to cool and slice and put on top of a Pizza
Hope this was helpful. Have a lovely day.
Great @Francesca, will you entering one of these in the Challenge? Look forward to it!

Back
Top Bottom