The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Sesame Seeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
3:33 PM
Congratulations go to medtran49 who won the Recipe Challenge ‘milk and/or cream’ with a recipe for Chicken massaman curry and has chosen Sesame Seeds (including any of their products, such as oil, flour, tahini) as the next challenge ingredient. The deadline for entries is midday Monday 28th May (GMT +1).

images-304.jpeg

The full list of previous winners, recipes and chosen ingredients can be found here.

A Reminder of the"Rules" (revised May 2017)

You must post up the recipe here on CookingBites during the time frame of the competition (no screenshots of or links to recipes on other sites other than crediting is permitted).
  • The recipe must contain the ingredient specified in the challenge.
  • The recipe must have the 'recipe' prefix and the 'CookingBites recipe challenge' tag. It should also have the correct normal tags so the recipe below would have the 'chicken' and 'lemons' tags at a minimum.
upload_2017-5-27_10-53-46-png.png

• The recipe must be linked to in this thread to indicate participation in the current recipe challenge.
  • (New) Cooking the recipe is optional, though it is encouraged.
  • (New) Photographs are optional, but encouraged.
  • To include everyone in any challenge, a suitable vegetarian/vegan/allergy free/intolerance free substitution will be permitted if the challenge ingredient is something a participant can not or does not eat, for whatever reason. What is permitted is up to the current challenge judge to decide on.
  • (New) In the event that an ingredient is unavailable regionally, substitutions should be agreed with the judge.
  • The judge's (or site owner's) decision is final and the new winner will select the next ingredient and the time frame...
  • And finally, as always, in the event of any dispute the site owner has the final say.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
Has anyone tried to make their own sesame seed paste (tahini)? Its something somewhere on my huge 'to do' list - so perhaps now is the time to try it.

We'll be using sesame seeds and sesame oil tonight in bibimbap.

So many cuisines use sesame seeds in sweet and savory dishes that it will be interesting to see the recipes entered.

We had a sesame seed explosion in our kitchen tonight. I had some time to play and had sesame seeds and oil in the house. The rest of the ingredients are using what was in the fridge/freezer.

Salmon toasts
Salmon cakes
I had a slaw with sesame vinaigrette. Husband had the slaw stir-fried but also dressed with sesame oil.
I also had cucumber soaked in rice vinegar and a pinch of sugar and sprinkled with chilli flakes. And some home made chilli oil.

https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/salmon-toasts-and-salmon-cakes.12809/

Last edited:
We had a sesame seed explosion in our kitchen tonight. I had some time to play and had sesame seeds and oil in the house. The rest of the ingredients are using what was in the fridge/freezer.

Salmon toasts
Salmon cakes
I had a slaw with sesame vinaigrette. Husband had the slaw stir-fried but also dressed with sesame oil.
I also had cucumber soaked in rice vinegar and a pinch of sugar and sprinkled with chilli flakes. And some home made chilli oil.

Just off out so will post recipes and pictures later.

How fantastic! I'm off to stock up on black and white sesame seeds tomorrow. And if I can get them, red ones. I didn't know until this challenge that red ones existed.

I think they might just be reddish brown... I wasn't able to get any but did buy white and black. Now the challenge (for me) is to find a way of using sesame seeds that is not just a sprinkle or a crust/coating (although I may make a few entries like that). Obviously tahini - but I'm researching other options.

Last edited:
There are yellow sesame seeds too and sesame seed flour. There are so many uses for them, as they are used in sweets, breads, and savory dishes.

@medtran49 or anyone else - do you know how to make sesame flour? For once, Google has let me down and I simply can't find instructions! I can buy it on-line but its stupid expensive. I simply ground some hulled white sesame seeds in a spice grinder this morning. Is that it? Easy-peasy, if so. But I did detect a vey slight bitterness in the taste. Is that normal?

It looks right - similar to ground almonds but whiter.

I googled "how to make sesame seed flour" and got several results. Most used a spice grinder. One used a blender and toasted the sesame seeds first. I've always felt there was a slight bitterness to sesame seeds when I tasted just them, i.e. licking my fingers to get stuck ones off. Yeah, I know, but tell me you've never done similar. :oops:

@medtran49 or anyone else - do you know how to make sesame flour? For once, Google has let me down and I simply can't find instructions! I can buy it on-line but its stupid expensive. I simply ground some hulled white sesame seeds in a spice grinder this morning. Is that it? Easy-peasy, if so. But I did detect a vey slight bitterness in the taste. Is that normal?

It looks right - similar to ground almonds but whiter.

Grinding them directly should not in theory result in flour because of their very high oil content (40%). I would hazard a guess that the flour is a left over by-product after extracting the oil. With almonds, almond meal is what is left and then dried after making almond milk, similarly with hazelnuts. So you'll need to get the oil out somehow

Also similar to almonds surely ground sesame seeds are exactly that ground sesame seeds (with a risk of forming sesame seed paste or butter). Ground almonds are exactly that. To make almond meal (not quite almond flour but without further grinding or prior removal of the almond skin, as close as you get) I would murder some almonds in water using my Vitamix (or another liquidiser that can make almond milk). The better and finger the murdering the better. Then I'd put the whole lot through a very fine but milk bag before squeezing dry the left overs in the bag. These would then be dried or dehydrated in a dehydrator before being ground up a fresh. The result is almond meal not ground almonds.

In theory I would guess at something similar happening to sesame seeds after the oil had been extracted. Otherwise you'd just have ground sesame seeds assuming it doesn't make tahini by default.

Some references I have found (sources are the title links)

Sesame flour
A gluten-free flour, rich in minerals, made from fat-reduced sesame seeds.

And

Sesame Seed Flour
Company: Dipasa USA
Sesame Seed Flour is a creamy, light-brown powder which is obtained from the oil extraction of sesame seed. It enhances flavor and increases the shelf life of products. It is used as an alternative for low-carb preparations in bread, snacks, tortillas, bread mixes and pasta.

The Amazon description (from a product being sold through it) is incorrect.

Some references I have found (sources are the title links)
And
The Amazon description (from a product being sold through it) is incorrect.

Thanks - I found those sources too - but no recipe is included. Strange isn't it? Its usual to Google a recipe and find it. Perhaps, given the ridiculous prices it sells for, they don't want us to know how easy it is to make.

I think what I have made will be OK. We will see. The alternative would be to toast the seeds first, which I can also try out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom