The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Sesame Seeds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sesame seeds to me seems something that ought have been in the spice challenge. But OK. I'll do something simple later today to participate.

But for now, a word about Teriyaki sauce.

The non-Japanese version of this sauce can be very simple, combining Soy Sauce, Corn Syrup, Honey and Water.
The Japanese traditional Teriyaki sauce combines Sake, Mirin (Rice Wine) and Soy Sauce.

That's quite a difference between traditional ans western ... yes?

I'm up to doing without the sodium that Soy Sauce brings with it and so will go ever wider from traditional, Balsamic Vinegar and Olive Oil. I'm fresh out of Sake and Rice Wine.

Sesame seeds to me seems something that ought have been in the spice challenge
Strange. I have never considered them a spice though I did spy some in the international aisle in the supermarket yesterday, but they could also be found in the baking area as well. The international aisle for some reason also contains the herbs and spices which we were raiding for dried oregano

Strange. I have never considered them a spice though I did spy some in the international aisle in the supermarket yesterday, but they could also be found in the baking area as well. The international aisle for some reason also contains the herbs and spices which we were raiding for dried oregano

Its an interesting point. All seeds are not spices. So what is it that makes a seed a spice? Off topic...

Sesame seeds to me seems something that ought have been in the spice challenge. But OK. I'll do something simple later today to participate.

e.

Regardless, a spice is still an ingredient, although I've never considered sesame seeds a spice.

Sesame Deep-fried Egg with Sumac and Sesame dressed Salad

fullsizeoutput_33e6.jpeg

@Yorky - I noticed you hadn't entered (not that you have to! :D). Can you get sesame seeds in Thailand?

Yes, both black and white but I don't use them. My wife eats the black ones apparently for medicinal reasons.

0C7391AA-694B-48FE-9EF1-6F5332CC3A52.jpeg

Sesame Meatball with Jicama Shoestring Fries and Tahini Lemon Sauce.

Sorry it took so long for me to finally submit a recipe. This ingredient was hard!

I decided to make this a riff on a birds egg in a nest, and I almost called it that, but there would have been a lot of confusion about what the dish actually was.

To make up for only having one entry, I decided to use sesame seeds three different ways: as seeds, as tahini, and as sesame oil that I added to the tahini sauce.

Recipe link added!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom