The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Vinegar

IMG_0821.JPG

Curried Pickled Red Onions - no, it's not a dessert, even though it looks like it could be.

@Elawin: and here I was thinking there wouldn't be many vinegar recipes!! :eek:
Actually I wasn't going to post my chutney recipe because of its similarity in looks to your mango one. The photo of my chutney doesn't show it at its best because, as I said, it was a photo of the last scrapings from the jar. If I get some apples from my tree this year (or should that read, if I can reach some apples....) I may make some more.

Low Sodium Pork Fried Rice

mfWpNDmeRiKNZdF40lsI_IMG_0616.jpg

Vinegar isn't usually part of fried rice, but here I use Chinkiang vinegar to offset the usually massive amount of sodium that soy sauce brings. I used tilapia instead of pork in what I made yesterday: the difference there (besides calories and fat) is that I keep the fish separate from the stir fry, rather than stirring it in, so it keeps its integrity.

Light and fast cucumber pickle - I have made this in the past and it is delicious. Sorry no photos.

https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/light-and-fast-cucumber-pickle.10452/

Since moving to the Midlands (England) I have found that this is quite a traditional Sunday teatime dish, but here they add onions. I told my Mum and she said she always had it for Sunday tea if someone was visiting - it was a 'posh tea' (but onion-less like your recipe) and was served with tinned salmon. Ive recently added this recipe to my repertoire but don't leave it for a posh Sunday tea :hungry:

Back
Top Bottom