The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Vinegar

Excellent collection of entries (although a decent recipe for picallilli didn’t materialise).

As I expected, there were many pickling recipes and I love pickles.

I did not anticipate @SatNavSaysStraightOn ‘s Frontier Pie.

As we can buy local pomegranates here in season (which are somewhat sour) I must try the mango pickle of @The Late Night Gourmet – that sounds very tasty.

The curried red union pickle; what can I say? I must try that with shallots.

And Elawin’s collection of cucumber pickles sound great (particularly the last one).

The “Tuscan Panzanella” is an interesting way to use up stale bread.

Brussel sprouts and red cabbage – it looks very colourful but sprouts are out for me.

@morning glory ‘s late entry of vindaloo almost swayed me.

However, it came down to @epicuric ‘s “bourbon sauce” which I would have loved to have tried as a sauce or even as a marinade but he was a bit late in posting. I shall make that in the near future.

Thanks everyone - @epicuric: - down to you for the next challenge.

Congratulations @epicuric! :dance::woot:The Bourbon sauce was a very interesting recipe and one I'd like to try too. A big thank you to everyone else who participated. We had 17 entries in all and the majority were cooked and photographed by participants. Well done everyone!

We await @epicuric's choice of ingredient for the next challenge.

Thank you all :highfive:. I feel a very unworthy winner - this has been a very well supported Recipe Challenge with many really good quality entries. Well done to all who took part, and many thanks to @Yorky for choosing such a popular ingredient and running the challenge :thumbsup:

The next Cookingbites Recipe Challenge will be sausages. The humble banger can be traced back some 5000 years to the Sumerians, and was also very popular in both ancient Greece and Rome. It is thought that the Romans were largely responsible for the spread of the sausage, both cooked and cured, throughout their empire, whereupon they then took on the local characteristics that we know today.

For the purposes of this challenge, the sausage does not have to be made from pork - it can be beef, venison, wild boar, ostrich, unicorn, whatever. either cooked or cured, I don't mind. Vegetarian/vegan versions are also welcome. The recipe may be either a dish containing sausage, or indeed for making a sausage itself.

The deadline will be 12:00 (B.S.T.) Sunday 20th August.

Happy cooking!

Back
Top Bottom