The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Nov 2015-June 2017

King oysters have a very different taste than what I know as champignons. They actually have a slight fish flavor, for lack of a better term.
Champignons are anywhere from earthy, to mossy, to woody in approximately subtle flavor.

A champginon, or agaricus bisporus, is either a button mushroom if it is grown to be whitish, or it's also known as a crimini mushroom if it is brownish. The color depends on growing conditions.

If allowed to mature, it is usually called a portobello mushroom here.
Then why are there baby bellas?

Baby bella is just another term for immature portabella, or crimini.

I know you are, but what am I?

I'm rubber and you're glue. Whatever bounces off of me, sticks to you. :p:

Now you see, this is the problem with having me judging this competition. I thought, in my ignorance, that champignon was simply French for mushrooms. It wouldn't surprise me then if the Italian for mushrooms was similar. But if champignon is actually a particular variety of mushroom, then I'm not aware if you can get them here in the UK - or is it actually the very variety that you see most commonly in the average British supermarket? It never fills the contestants with great confidence when the judge has to ask questions about the basics of what is supposedly being judged.

Oh no, it's just your curiosity, no problem. Effectively these mushrooms (rather common) are called champignons also here in Italy.

I think its just the regular mushroom we get here - the white closed cup mushrooms. They might taste better in Italy! But its essentially the same mushroom:

View attachment 7053

th?id=OIP.Rlk3RRrKeW6MJc_7q7vF8AEsDh&pid=15.jpg

yes are the same mushrooms..sometimes we found also this darker, but they are always champignon.

I attempted to post the following as a message to @classic33 but was unable to do so. I therefore can only post it publicly here:

Hi classic33

There are two recipes you have posted which, though they are not tagged for the recipe challenge nevertheless are linked to from the recipe challenge thread:

Wild Mushroom Pudding
Espresso and Mushroom Cake

It is thus my intention to include them.

However, there are a further seven recipes posted by you since the start of the mushroom recipe challenge, all of which do include mushrooms, but none of which are tagged for the recipe challenge or are linked to on the recipe challenge thread.

Steak And Ale Pie With a Suet Crust
Ham And Mushroom Pizza
Vegetarian Guinness Stew
Mushroom and Guinness Veggie Puddings
Venison steaks with wild mushroom sauce
Meatless Moussaka
Creamy Mushroom Stroganoff

I would just like to be certain whether or not you would like me to include any of these recipes in the recipe challenge?

I attempted to post the following as a message to @classic33 but was unable to do so. I therefore can only post it publicly here:

Hi classic33

There are two recipes you have posted which, though they are not tagged for the recipe challenge nevertheless are linked to from the recipe challenge thread:

Wild Mushroom Pudding
Espresso and Mushroom Cake

It is thus my intention to include them.

However, there are a further seven recipes posted by you since the start of the mushroom recipe challenge, all of which do include mushrooms, but none of which are tagged for the recipe challenge or are linked to on the recipe challenge thread.

Steak And Ale Pie With a Suet Crust
Ham And Mushroom Pizza
Vegetarian Guinness Stew
Mushroom and Guinness Veggie Puddings
Venison steaks with wild mushroom sauce
Meatless Moussaka
Creamy Mushroom Stroganoff

I would just like to be certain whether or not you would like me to include any of these recipes in the recipe challenge?
Intention is to have a look at them, then tag and post a link in this thread for those included.

I've posted more to give some ideas, nowt else.

We are planning "Tom Yam Khung Gai" for tomorrow which will include both button and shiitake mushrooms. That's if we are able to get all the ingredients (and our act) together - my wife does most of the work.

[Edit: Apparently straw mushrooms (volvariella volvacea) not shitakes]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom