The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Nov 2015-June 2017

weirdly even here they can be unavailable and are usually 4 times the price of limes. I have started to use limes instead of lemons as well!

Many Thai dishes use lime juice as an ingredient but I'm not aware of one that uses lemon juice.

@SatNavSaysStraightOn - We could include limes or lime juice in the recipe but list it as lemon?

shsh.png

Mod Note: Limes are now acceptable for those unable to obtain lemons (same criteria applies (any part of a fresh (natural and unprocessed) lime))

Last edited by a moderator:
@SatNavSaysStraightOn - We could include limes or lime juice in the recipe but list it as lemon?

View attachment 7272

Mod Note: Limes are now acceptable for those unable to obtain lemons (same criteria applies (any part of a fresh (natural and unprocessed) lime))

Many Thai dishes use lime juice as an ingredient but I'm not aware of one that uses lemon juice.

I've taken to switching them out anyway. I haven't noticed a huge difference in most recipes,

Last edited:
you missed my point (which doesn't really matter now and that was one of the recipes was down as not being linked to here, when it was. Both were linked and both were tagged. that was the point I was making - but it is irrelevant now.)

I continue to miss your point and continue to believe that the list was accurate. However, as you say, it doesn't matter.

Why am I so dumb?

I've just re-read the rules. You don't even have to locate and buy the ingredients or even cook the dish. Just research on the internet until you find a suitable recipe then copy and paste it to this thread. You can even use the internet image!

Piece o' pish!

Lemons are good for me, and I even have an immediate candidate recipe - it is not mine it is Nigel Slater's but, though I have mentioned it before on here I don't believe it is already here - unless someone else has already beaten me to it. Anyway, I saw Nigel Slater do this on the TV a few months ago, and I have cooked it twice. It is very easy, and it is lovely, and lemons are more central to the dish than just sprinkling lemon juice on at the end. So here it is:

https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/nigel-slaters-sweet-and-sour-chicken.9672/

There is just a chance I might find an opportunity to do it again before this challenge finishes and will be able to post up a photo.

Mod Note to clarify and remind:

Ingredient: Lemons (any part of a fresh (natural and unprocessed) lemon) (limes can be substitutes by @Yorky and myself in the event of being unable to obtain lemons.)

Deadline
: 1100 hours UTC (12pm BST), on Saturday the 10th June.

The Rules

• You must post up the recipe here on CookingBites during the time frame of the competition (no screenshots of or links to recipes on other sites other than crediting is permitted).
  • The recipe must contain the ingredient specified in the challenge. :o_o:
  • The recipe must have the 'recipe' prefix and the 'CookingBites recipe challenge' tag. It should also have the correct normal tags.
  • The recipe must be linked to in this thread to indicate participation in the current recipe challenge.
  • (New) Cooking the recipe is optional, though it is encouraged.
  • (New) Photographs are optional, but encouraged.
  • To include everyone in any challenge, a suitable vegetarian/vegan/allergy free/intolerance free substitution will be permitted if the challenge ingredient is something a participant can not or does not eat, for whatever reason. What is permitted is up to the current challenge judge to decide on.
  • (New) In the event that an ingredient is unavailable regionally, substitutions should be agreed with the judge.
  • The judge's decision is final and the new winner will select the next ingredient and the time frame... :scratchhead:
  • And finally, as always, in the event of a dispute the site owner has the final say.:cool:

I'm looking at honey and lime glazed prawn kebabs (a take on a Martha Stewart recipe). I shall cook it in the next day or two.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom