The CookingBites Spice Challenge - Spice of the Month (January 2018): Peppercorns

I didn't cook this - it was included as a soup with the Hainanese chicken rice from the food cart this afternoon. Based upon winter melon, coriander leaf (and the root), white pepper and black pepper. It's called "วิธีทำน้ำซุปทานกับข้าวมันไก่". I cannot find an English translation.

View attachment 13013

I love those clear broths. We make a pork meatball and glass noodle soup with a clear broth. It is really filling for being so light.

What was the broth - was it chicken stock do you think?

Given that chicken is all that they sell, I guess it must be:

chicken in a bucket s.jpg

. Red peppercorns are left to fully ripen on the vine. It is almost impossible to find true red peppercorns as they lose their colour when dried. Apparently they are now obtainable freeze dried but I have yet to find any and have never tasted them! Long peppers have has a warm musky aroma with a floral, spicy, peppery punch that builds slowly. I adore this pepper as it is so complex in flavour.
Try these. On the brown side of red, but really good - my 'go to' pepper

IMG_2036.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
@epicuric - struggling to read the pack: BoTree Kamput Pepper?

I'm not sure if you're using a computer or a handphone. If the former then <ctrl> + will usually enlarge the view, <ctrl> - to reduce it again. It is BoTree Kampot which sounds very Indonesian to me.

I was wrong: "BoTree is a Kampot Pepper farm in Kampot, Cambodia".

They were exhibiting at the Good Food Show this year. We bought a pack of three - red, black and white. I think they sell on Amazon too.

IMG_2039.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
My first thought for the challenge was pepper crusted steak. @Yorky beat me to it. So I went with option #2 - Pepper Shrimp. I missed that @Yorky also had a recipe for pepper prawns.

Oh well - the pepper was ground and the shrimp ready for seasoning.

https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/pepper-shrimp.11900/

20180126_205818-jpg.jpg

The picture is awful. My old kitchen has more shadows than light.

The picture is awful. My old kitchen has more shadows than light.
Its not a bad photo. My top tip is to take the food to a daylight source - my kitchen is also dark. Most of my shots at home are taken in the bay window of the front room. I just rig up a board on top of a plant stand to place the dish on. Alternatively take the food into the open air (not direct sun) to photograph. Is your camera set to auto?

Back
Top Bottom