The cost of food

With a few exceptions (rat and dog) I will at least try pretty much anything.

Passed a shop in Shekou, China which, as there were cages of cats and dogs outside, I assumed was a pet shop.

No, it was a restaurant!

@Yorky - add cats to the list of NEVER. Years ago there was a restaurant in a neighboring community that was busted for serving cat and dog to favored clients at private parties. :sick:

The reaction to that is very emotional. :hyper:

I am retired, and have time available
Probably like many British towns now my local town centre has several bargain/saver/discount sort of stores. I had shopped in all of them, but decided on one afternoon to visit them all, and pay more attention to the sort of food each one sold
I was thinking along the lines of perhaps one will be good for coffee, another for canned food, and so on

Well, I did that and mentally noted those I would visit again for certain things, and those I wouldn't bother with in the future. You can get good buys if you are selective and keep your wits about you

But what did dawn on me was that they all had large areas of shelves devoted to sugary foods - biscuits, cakes, sweets, chocolate, and other confectionery

But what did dawn on me was that they all had large areas of shelves devoted to sugary foods - biscuits, cakes, sweets, chocolate, and other confectionery
Indeed they do. But as you say there are some bargains to be found if you ignore the sugary stuff. In Maidstone, I find that that the cheapest veg is from Turkish/Asian shops.

Indeed they do. But as you say there are some bargains to be found if you ignore the sugary stuff. In Maidstone, I find that that the cheapest veg is from Turkish/Asian shops.

Yes. I live in north east Lancashire, around Burnley & Nelson, which has a large ex Pakistani population, and I usually get my fruit & veg from a local shop

Back
Top Bottom