The Digital Age and your kitchen?

Do you use a Smart Phone or Tablet in the Kitchen?

• All the Time

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Once per week

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Once per month

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Never! Don't want to radiate the food!!!

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters

TodayInTheKitchen

Blitzinator
Local time
10:07 PM
Website
todayinthekitchen.com
Do tablets and smart phones belong in your kitchen?

tablet-kitchen.jpg

If I had the slightest idea for what it would be useful, I may. But I'm currently flummoxed!

My Chromebook practically lives in the kitchen - its mostly used for recipes and filling in my online food diary. Though I have a number of cookbooks I rarely use them now as I keep all my favourite recipes in Evernote (which is great as you can easily save online recipes with a browser extension that clips directly to Evernote).

Despite both my tablet and my phone being waterproof and hence easily cleanable I very rarely if ever have them in the kitchen . I'll print the recipe out, write my changes down, and we'll either keep it (goes into recipe book ) or leave it (recycled for next week's shopping list or for lighting the fire ).
Neither belong in the kitchen or the dining room . But then we don't have them in the sitting room at night or the bedroom at all either . :D

I ticked 'all the time' but I'm referring to my smartphone. Mainly I use it for food photography but its with me most of the time, hence in the kitchen when I'm cooking. The MacBook Pro stays out of the kitchen. It cost so much money I can't risk a nasty accident!

However, I very rarely cook from recipes. Most of what I'm doing is created from scratch from notes I've scribbled by hand - based on researching ideas from the internet and cookery books. I jot the weights and measures down by hand as I'm cooking. If I used a smartphone it would take longer and I'd probably end up with food muck all over it!

I do use the smartphone to photograph the ingredients before I start sometimes to save me writing them all down. So, say I'm using a tsp. each of cumin coriander, fennel, turmeric etc. I'll place them all and plate and photograph. Occasionally I take photos of the 'process' of cooking.

I've toyed with the idea of using voice recognition to dictate the recipe as I go but it seems to make too many mistakes to be much use!

I ticked 'all the time' but I'm referring to my smartphone. Mainly I use it for food photography but its with me most of the time, hence in the kitchen when I'm cooking.

Ahhh, my camera is frequently in the kitchen for that purpose but it is not a tablet nor a phone.

I am certainly getting old. Phones are for making/receiving phone calls and tablets are for combating headaches!

Ahhh, my camera is frequently in the kitchen for that purpose but it is not a tablet nor a phone.

I am certainly getting old. Phones are for making/receiving phone calls and tablets are for combating headaches!

It is a digital camera though. As you know I used to use a digital camera - but the results are so good using the Samsung Galaxy (plus it handles low light much better) that I rarely use the digital camera any more.

It is a digital camera though. As you know I used to use a digital camera - but the results are so good using the Samsung Galaxy (plus it handles low light much better) that I rarely use the digital camera any more.

The question was "smart phone or tablet?"

I have many digital thingies in the kitchen if you include microwaves, slow cookers, rice cookers, multicookers, even a washing machine.

The question was "smart phone or tablet?"

I have many digital thingies in the kitchen if you include microwaves, slow cookers, rice cookers, multicookers, even a washing machine.

However, I have been known to take my phone into the kitchen to remind me of the ingredients for a recipe I've been using for 30+ years. And that was from my own website!

I use my phone, which is in an otter box case, or my tablet, which is also in a protective case, just not an otter box, all the time in the kitchen. Most of our recipes are in cloud storage plus I use the internet for recipes.

Despite both my tablet and my phone being waterproof and hence easily cleanable I very rarely if ever have them in the kitchen . I'll print the recipe out, write my changes down, and we'll either keep it (goes into recipe book ) or leave it (recycled for next week's shopping list or for lighting the fire ).
Neither belong in the kitchen or the dining room . But then we don't have them in the sitting room at night or the bedroom at all either . :D

Me neither.:dance::whistling:

What I'd really like is a wall mounted digital 'screen' in the kitchen which follows voice commands, is connected to the internet and also accurately records speech as text. In fact, I'd love a fully integrated digital kitchen where everything was controlled by voice command.

...going further than that I personally feel I'm living in the wrong time. I look at electric wall sockets, plugs and leads and think, 'this is all wrong'. In the future it will seem ugly, antiquated and plain odd! Sure, we have wireless networking now but no-one has quite solved the problem of battery life and that we need to charge devices quite frequently - using that socket in the wall!

My laptop is near the kitchen so I use that. I also shout to google home to set alarms and to check temperature conversions and it's also good for telling me the the weights of ingredients when I'm making cakes.

Back
Top Bottom