The Digital Age and your kitchen?

Do you use a Smart Phone or Tablet in the Kitchen?

• All the Time

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Once per week

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Once per month

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Never! Don't want to radiate the food!!!

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters
...going further than that I personally feel I'm living in the wrong time. I look at electric wall sockets, plugs and leads and think, 'this is all wrong'. In the future it will seem ugly, antiquated and plain odd! Sure, we have wireless networking now but no-one has quite solved the problem of battery life and that we need to charge devices quite frequently - using that socket in the wall!

I started a business in 91, I got an old retired guy to do my books and the office. The first time I asked him send a fax, he freaked out. I explained how the fax worked. He sent it and later said to me that if he had told someone 20 years ago you could send a bit of paper down a phone line, he would have been locked up. Unbelievable how far we have come.

Russ

I started a business in 91, I got an old retired guy to do my books and the office. The first time I asked him send a fax, he freaked out. I explained how the fax worked. He sent it and later said to me that if he had told someone 20 years ago you could send a bit of paper down a phone line, he would have been locked up. Unbelievable how far we have come.

Russ

Hard to believe, we all had to take turns relieving the switchboard operator on her lunch hour. Lol

I do find one feature useful on our stove and tasty is the ability to turn the ring off automatically after a certain time period. That's really useful for me because if it needs to simmer for 30 minutes ,I no longer need to be close enough to my timer to here it go off, I just program it for the set time, knock some time off to account for the ring going cold and retained heat etc and leave it to its own devices .

It is less useful being able to program the oven to come on for x many minutes and turn off/be cooked by a certain time . Annoyingly you need to take into account the time needed to get the oven up to temperature, plus it you're not there when it ends..

My laptop is currently at the end of the kitchen peninsula. When I *Finally* move all the way here, I'll have a desk setup in an office, and the laptop will usually live there. Although I note it has been handy to follow web-based recipes with the laptop essentially in the kitchen... Neither the smart phone nor the Kindle come in here. (I do have a land line in here... have to keep one considering how bad cell is in this rural location.)

As far as the Internet of Things goes, however - not interested in running my fridge, my sous vide equipment, or anything else via the Internet. I do have a robot vacuum cleaner, and it only uses its own personal wifi to find its home station when battery power is low - I don't control it at all except manually. I also have a weather station, and the outdoors tells the indoor receiver what the temp/humidity/barometric pressure is, and that is that. Nothing controllable via phone or etc.

I guess the final thing is that I am going to be setting up a doorbell/intercom system that will be on it's own WiFi - not connected outside of its own reach - mostly so if someone shows up at the front door and I'm down back with the chickens, something will ring in the coop.

No Siri, Alexa or any of that. If I play music, I do it old school. Well, sort of. I have a CD player that sends WiFi signals out to the speakers... And an ancient iPod for the car...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom