The Extraordinary Italian Cheeses ..

What do you prefer? :D

Italian of course. Except for the Laverstoke which IMHO is as good and an award winner:

Screen Shot 2018-02-24 at 15.10.13.png

@MypinchofItaly

Casarta, Napoli, which is approx . 35 to 45 minutes north of Napoli, the appellation of Casarta, the Italian Water Buffalo Cheese called Mozzarella di Bufala, is milked from these wáter buffalo whose diet consists of only: swamp algaes and swamp plants .. ( Not grass pasture surely ) ..

So, how could England have the same climate ?

England is approx 55 degrees latitude and Casarta, Napoli, is 39 or 38 degrees latitude, so how could these 2 cheeses taste the same or have the same humid texture ? ( Same latitude as Valencia / Alicante ) ..

And to further prove my point, from the package posted, the buffalo look like they are on a snow or sand .. ( whitish sand color ) .. and the package says: 1 ball ..

Mozzarella di Bufala is not " round " .. It is a "mound" that is a sort of a rectangle that has rounded edges and is rounded as 2 sides are shorter in length than the length wise sides ..

Each to his or her own ..

Last edited:
@MypinchofItaly

Casarta, Napoli, which is approx . 35 to 45 minutes north of Napoli, the appellation of Casarta, the Italian Water Buffalo Cheese called Mozzarella di Bufala, is milked from these wáter buffalo whose diet consists of only: swamp algaes and swamp plants .. ( Not grass pasture surely ) ..

So, how could England have the same climate ?

England is approx 55 degrees latitude and Casarta, Napoli, is 39 or 38 degrees latitude, so how could these 2 cheeses taste the same or have the same humid texture ? ( Same latitude as Valencia / Alicante ) ..

And to further prove my point, from the package posted, the buffalo look like they are on a snow or sand .. ( whitish sand color ) .. and the package says: 1 ball ..

Mozzarella di Bufala is not " round " .. It is a "mound" that is a sort of a rectangle that has rounded edges and is rounded as 2 sides are shorter in length than the length wise sides ..

Each to his or her own ..

We have water buffalo here, they live in a swamp and eat the same things you have described. So, I'm sure the cheese would taste the same as that from Italy. To each their own back at you!:okay:

Last edited:

In the UK we tend to refer to mozzarella balls even if they are mounds. The photo on the pack is black and white! Its a biodynamic farm and the buffalo roam on green pasture. Also - I didn't say it was the same as Italian just that it was 'as good'. Its a beautiful cheese and it has won a number of awards. But until you taste it you can't really know... I'd love to give you and @MypinchofItaly some in a blind tasting! :D

This report offers a better view of the buffalo farms:
http://www.italoamericano.org/story/2016-4-6/Buffalo-Farm

The buffalo are milked twice a day at 3 a.m. and 3 p.m. It’s a biological need for the buffalo, so it takes no coaxing to get them to the milking station. When it’s time they head there single file. It only requires one person to do the milking. Eight at a time, they enter mechanical milking stalls where their teats are washed in natural cold water in order not to affect the milk. Milking lasts about 10 minutes after which the buffalo go out on their own. Yep, back to the feeding trough!

mozzarella_0.jpg

Listen, the same torturous acts of abuse happen in Galicia and other dairy regions of Spain ..

I have signed petitions for elephants, wild mustangs, horses, dairy cows, the bigf felines, wolves, bears, foxes and a million other animal petitions to protect all types of animals ..

It is a world wide catastrophe, not just Italy or Spain of the genocide of animals and people as well via Gmos ..

However, world wide and in the Usa, and what they do to wild horses is horrifying and repungent ..

As far as eating in London, I have no plans to go to London to taste " British Mozzarella "..

Been to London and the best of the city was The British Museum. Truly a mythic heirloom of thousands of ancient Works of art ..

I have eaten at Gordon Ramsay and Heston Blumenthal - in his London Restaurant quite a number of years ago .. Both were exceptional ..

Good luck and have a nice weekend .. and enjoy your British Mozzarella and I will enjoy my Italian Mozzarella di Bufala ..

Last edited:
As far as eating in London, I have no plans to go to London to taste " British Mozzarella "..

I didn't expect you to make a special trip for the sake of tasting UK mozzarella! :laugh: - Although, I might be tempted to travel to Italy to taste quite a few of the wonderful cheeses which we can't find imported here.

I suppose one point about the Italian buffalo farms was that they obviously aren't feeding the buffalo on algae.

This all depends on the size of the producer and who you know .. There are some boutique producers who work in Casarta in an ethical way !!

Good luck ..

In the UK we tend to refer to mozzarella balls even if they are mounds. The photo on the pack is black and white! Its a biodynamic farm and the buffalo roam on green pasture. Also - I didn't say it was the same as Italian just that it was 'as good'. Its a beautiful cheese and it has won a number of awards. But until you taste it you can't really know... I'd love to give you and @MypinchofItaly some in a blind tasting! :D

Yes, in fact I've written that for me it's a new thing to find out.

Laverstoke is owned by 1979 Formula One World Champion, Jody Scheckter.
There was a TV programme on recently featuring Laverstoke (and Jody Scheckter, of course).

I tend to stick to English cheeses - there are over 700 different cheeses in the UK, although some of them are very regional cheeses, and you'll never see them in a supermarket. Most are available online, if you can't go the area to buy them. We can usually find a pretty good equivalent of a lot of European cheeses.

Back
Top Bottom