The first restaurant I ever went to

When i was a kid we used to go to this little pizza place that had the best Stromboli and subs and yes pizza...you could watch them toss the dough up in the air from the window outside. The smell was wonderful and i have never been in a pizza place that had the same smell.

There also the diner in the department store. Mom would take us for mostly lunch but sometimes breakfast depending when she needed to shop. They would bring you a glass of water with crushed ice...a novelty for us kids. Then food would be brought as it was made. I remember the waiting for the food and mom telling us to sit back in our seats when we would get curious about the diners in in the booth behind us. Again there was a unmistakable smell that i hadn't smelled since the store was torn down to make room for something else until a few years ago mom had a hankering for pancakes after a doctors appointment and we went into a iHop...there was that same diner smell from my childhood.

When i was a kid we used to go to this little pizza place that had the best Stromboli and subs and yes pizza...you could watch them toss the dough up in the air from the window outside. The smell was wonderful and i have never been in a pizza place that had the same smell.

There also the diner in the department store. Mom would take us for mostly lunch but sometimes breakfast depending when she needed to shop. They would bring you a glass of water with crushed ice...a novelty for us kids. Then food would be brought as it was made. I remember the waiting for the food and mom telling us to sit back in our seats when we would get curious about the diners in in the booth behind us. Again there was a unmistakable smell that i hadn't smelled since the store was torn down to make room for something else until a few years ago mom had a hankering for pancakes after a doctors appointment and we went into a iHop...there was that same diner smell from my childhood.

Crushed iced water. My grandkids also love our fridge, it has crushed and whole ice, along with iced water. They love the novelty of it. I know, they use about 12 different cups. I don't say anything. It's just a novelty.

Russ

No idea.
My parents told me about a fancy NYC restaurant they took me to when I was two years old. They were going to be meeting relatives driving up through New Jersey for the meal. Probably not the first time I went to a restaurant, but possibly the first fancy one - they're not around to ask today. Don't know which one.
Unfortunately there was a major traffic accident or more on the NJ Turnpike and the relatives were delayed by two hours. Fortunately, they had the phone number for the restaurant and managed to get off to call (Cell phones didn't exist then.)
Parents were totally amazed that I behaved myself during the wait (they did give me some bread, they tell me. And paper and a pen to draw with.) Apparently I didn't get cranky at all. I think I must have always respected food - I was never so cooperative when they took me to church.

Last edited:
I do know that most of the times when I was along with my parents when they went out to eat, it was usually at places like Howard Johnsons (a chain that is nearly defunct now) or International House of Pancakes (now just called IHOP). Going out was practically the only time I ever drank soda - although Mom kept a stash of ginger ale around for upset tummies. These places would be when we were on road trips for vacations or to visit relatives (none lived near us).

Come to think of it I was only 4 or 5, it might have been Connely's (SP) in Baltimore. MD. They were a seafood place specializing in steamed blue crabs. They also sold them for take out, by the bushel basket, if I remember correctly.

No. My wife and I both love to cook. She is better than me. But we wouldn’t want to go from enjoyment to work. We had a local owned place that was really good. They loved it. Two years later they sold it. They were so burnt out

There weren’t any fast places at the time but I remember going to a truck stop. We lived in a very small town and the truck stop was probably five miles away from our house

Back
Top Bottom