The following days packed lunch

Lullabelle

Midlands, England
Local time
12:13 AM
Monday to Thursday we take a pack-up/packed lunch to work. Before we go shopping we decide what we are going to have any buy accordingly. In the evening I make up the sandwiches and put everything else next to them, cartons of juice, yogurt, snack bars etc so that in the morning I just take out of the fridge and put into the bag-I don't have the brain power at that time of day to think so if my husband has moved anything if gets forgotten.

Does anyone else pack-up the night before?

We both work from home so usually have leftovers, home made soup (Ill make a batch to last three days), or make a sandwich/something on toast. We always sit at the dining table and talk, which is a nice break in the day even if we do talk about work!

I've been making packed lunches for my grown up kids to take to work for years. I've often run out of ideas. But - the final two kids are now moving out. Son moved out last week and daughter moves out next week. No more packed lunches! It could be liberating...

I've been making packed lunches for my grown up kids to take to work for years. I've often run out of ideas. But - the final two kids are now moving out. Son moved out last week and daughter moves out next week. No more packed lunches! It could be liberating...

We try new things but sometimes we choose a 'go to, tinned tuna mixed with salad cream, mayo and a few drops of chilli sauce, with lettuce and tomato.

99% of what you see me post on What Did You Cook Today? is something I've brought to work for lunch. I love the idea of lunches that are simple to pack - like a stew or gumbo - but I don't make my lunch decisions based on portability.

Sometimes it gets ridiculous. The burger you see below required the following packaging:
  • A bag for the patty
  • A bag for the tomato
  • A bag for the bun
  • A small container for the cheese
  • A small container for the cilantro
  • A small container for the guacamole
The "small containers" are the small plastic cups with a lid found in most carry-out (take-away) operations. I have quite a supply in reserve for this very reason.

Mind you, that's just what it takes for the burger. If I decide to have a salad along with it, then things get really silly.

IMG_1193.JPG

Sometimes I'll pack something up to go on a picnic or for the beach i.e.:

Rotisserie chicken or fried chicken (and potato, cold pasta salad, or coleslaw), chicken salad sandwiches on croissants, pan bagnat, Subs - meatballs with marinara sauce topped with mozzarella cheese, ham and swiss or havarti cheese with Dijon mustard. Fresh fruit or fruit salad. String cheese and crackers.

Do you like Bento boxes?

Cold noodles are good too.

Last edited:
Sometimes it gets ridiculous. The burger you see below required the following packaging:
  • A bag for the patty
  • A bag for the tomato
  • A bag for the bun
  • A small container for the cheese
  • A small container for the cilantro
  • A small container for the guacamole

That's bonkers and dedication rolled in to one! But, of course it makes sense. :happy:

I always used to make my lunch the night before when I was working. I had one large plastic box into which I would put a couple of sandwiches - usually, but not always, cheese with, say, salad or pickles or whatever - a couple of tomatoes and a chunk of cucumber, home made yoghurt, some nuts, a choccy bar, and either scones or biscuits. The only things that were usually in a separate container were the yoghurt and the nuts.

Peanut butter and jelly sandwich made fresh in the morning...i don't like jelly soak bread. It gets hot here and i have no refridgeration at work so i also bring a cooler with my drinks. This past week i found a stainless steel vacumn sealed dish to keep things hot or cold so i am going to try it next time i need to bring lunch(i don't always need a lunch as i mostly work after lunch).

Cold roast chicken is a great portable lunch.:okay:

In the south, fried chicken used to be left on the counter at room temperature for a snack for farm workers/family and/or packed in a paper sack for a meal while traveling/working.

Making pack lunches the night before would be a bit too organised for me. Assuming I've remembered to bake some bread I will make sandwiches in a morning whilst cooking breakfast.

Back
Top Bottom