1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The General Chat Thread

Discussion in 'The CookingBites Cafe' started by SatNavSaysStraightOn, Jul 8, 2016.

1. SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn Veteran Staff Member

Does anyone want a general chat thread?

I'm thinking similar to the Tea or Mundane News thread over on the sister site CC for those of us from there... Would it help to build a community here?

Thoughts?

Francesca, Kake Lover and Shermie like this.
  2. classic33

classic33 Persona Non Grata

Thought there was a Tea thread!

Francesca likes this.
  3. sidevalve

sidevalve Senior Member

Good idea but it will require careful watching - threads on such unrelated topics can get WAY too deep.

Francesca likes this.
  4. Lullabelle

Lullabelle Midlands, England

Agreed but as long as anyone coming in here is aware that it just general chat and not a political platform then why not? Sometimes it is good to just chat.

Francesca likes this.
  5. morning glory

morning glory Obsessive cook Staff Member

Why not? I'd probably join in.

Francesca likes this.
  6. morning glory

TBH I hadn't noticed anyone here voicing any political views (unless you count me and my anti-marriage rant some time ago!). So - I doubt (perhaps naively) that that would happen.

The problem with building a community here is that there are so many people who join and seem to really get involved and then disappear. Perhaps that's what happens on any forum. I don't know if its possible to see who are the long term regular posters in the 'now' to see how many there are. I know that we can click on the members and most messages but there are some there that haven't logged in or posted for two months or more or in one case, a year.

Anyway - the idea has my support. I'm always willing to talk a bit of drivel.

Francesca likes this.
  7. Lullabelle

Lullabelle Midlands, England

Some people on CC can you be hot headed at times which is what I meant, so far I haven't come across anyone on here which is good. Some days drivel is most welcome.

Francesca likes this.
  8. classic33

I'd say the fact the Tea thread isn't visible has actually contributed to the success as a food site.

Francesca and morning glory like this.
  9. morning glory

Oh yes - on CC they can! But as you say, not here (yet).

Francesca likes this.
  10. Shaun

Shaun Senior Member Staff Member

I won't be adding a politics forum here or to the gardening forum. Occasional political discussions pertinent to the theme of CookingBites, such as agricultural policy, import/export regulations, food restrictions, farming subsidies, etc. are fine, but I'd prefer not to have general political threads.

As to community chat, there's no reason why we cannot throw up a general chat thread similar to Tea? (although it would be a misnomer on CookingBites so would need a new thread title), and perhaps import some of the longer-running threads from CC's Cafe to see how they go.

Cheers,
    Shaun :D

Francesca likes this.
  11. Shermie

Shermie Senior Member

It would be great, but I thought that is what The Lounge forum is for. Hah!! :wink:

Francesca likes this.
  12. morning glory

Yes it is. But I think the idea is that rather than starting different threads in the Lounge, we have a thread in the Lounge dedicated to silly chatting! Why not. :D

Francesca and Shermie like this.
  13. classic33

There was a Tea thread, now gone.

Francesca and Shermie like this.
  14. SatNavSaysStraightOn

I haven't deleted it, nor could I find any trace of it (even deleted traces which can be undeleted). There is a beer thread though over in beverages, drinks and smoothies.

Plus there is an actual tea thread related to tea drinking habits.
    http://www.cookingbites.com/threads/tea.1053/

Francesca likes this.
  15. SatNavSaysStraightOn

It sounds like most people would like something Shaun.
    Importing one or two of the longer running threads from CC's could be good idea to get them going.

Francesca likes this.