The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Side note: Motors can affect the new (cheap) digital antennas too. I accidentally put one between the refrigerator and the TV. When the refrigerator kicked in, the signal kicked out. Amusing thing was, it was at the exact same time every day.

On the light bulbs you are partially correct. Yes on the CFL's but LED's don't need that much starting power. Ours are now LED though since they use so little power, except for the 5 light one, I tend to leave the kitchen lights on. I rarely turn any other lights on during the day.
Whilst the LED's themselves don't use much, the transformers used in them do. Then your left with what to do with them when they do go. Arsenic in them poses a challenge that has yet to be sorted. Other than shipping them to China for disposal.

With "smart meters" and interference, how would you feel if it decided you were using more. Something that wasn't possible with an analogue meter.

Last edited:
I'm not sure why a line has to be drawn. If I can edit images up to a year old, does it make much difference if I edit one a bit earlier? I mean, if its a case of showing how photography skills improve (which I don't believe is a primary purpose of the forum), then if I updated all my photos from the last year as permitted, it could look like I had suddenly made an amazing leap in skills a year ago. But I really do doubt that any members care in the slightest about my progress as a photographer - well certainly not enough to go and look at all my past efforts to compare! My view is that better food photography is more likely to attract members to the forum rather than put them off.

For me to see the 'before and after' is easy, as I have all the images dated on my computer - I don't need to look back at them on the forum.
The "line" is down to the system.

Look at in other ways. How often have you seen a picture of something, bought it then asked yourself why it doesn't look like the one in the picture, or made something and been left wondering why it doesn't look like the one you saw?

You've given how they get the picture they want, image manipulation, but that won't always explain it.

Would you be happier if you were unable to edit, anything?

For a semi recluse (by choice), I had an uncharacteristically VERY busy day out today!

In the morning I went to a huge car boot sale (coming away with nothing, which is often the case so I will make a mental note of that!) Then on to the booked dinner. I had planned on having a Sunday roast but, what with the warm weather and my plan to go on somewhere afterwards (entailing lots of walking) I opted for a starter instead - buffalo wings and garlic bread. It was a very generous helping of wings and, thankfully, not oversweet i.e. could taste the vinegar....suspiciously akin to HP sauce! The garlic bread was disappointing .... very faintly garlic and not with french bread/baguette but horrid white fluffly slices of bread...ugh! It being a good bistro pub though it came with a welcomed finger bowl with lemon.

Then I went on to a newly discovered art/craft market. I was disappointed by how small it was and that it was 25% food stalls which didn't interest me (on a full stomach!). Some of the art was inspiring e.g. the decoupage on furniture (cut out pictures pasted on and varnished).

Shocking serving of garlic bread, it should be crispy and very garlicky, sadly that isn't always the case.

You either need it or you don't. You know your heating uses power - if you can turn it down you do - if not knowing how much it uses won't make it cheaper. It's like taking the bus to work, you know how much the bus fare is but if you have to use the bus then you still have to use it. The point is you know that all the things you mention use power. If you need to cut your bills then you know you have to use less. I didn't say there was no way to use less only that once you have reached your minimum [or the minimum you are prepared to accept] then that is as low as you can go whatever the meter says. As for the amount something uses then it's not hard to work out that something burning 100 watts uses ten times the power of something using 10 watts ie using one for one hour = using the other for ten hours, Your bill is too high - don't need a meter to tell you that. You must cut down on power usage - don't need a meter to tell you that. You need to do all the things you said - use the oven/cooker more efficiently cut down the heating , turn off unwanted lights, but you know that anyway the meter can't tell you what to do.
Electricity is [at least here] measured in Kw hours [ie 1000w for 1 hour] = unit = the units stated on the bill. So a 10w bulb costs 0.01 of a unit per hour
Well now see you are smart and I am smart when it comes to electricity usage. Some people would need a smart meter to tell them where their electricity is going.
I heard about a couple that got a whopping electric bill for a very small space. Everyone figured something was wrong with either the meter or something was tied into their electricity that shouldn't have been. Turns out that wasn't the problem.
Turns out he was running an electric heater wide open and she was running the A/C in the other room full power.
Without the smart meter they would have continued to have monster bills.

Also if I know what is the power hog, I can if I choose take steps to reduce it.

Oh and our new dryer is much more energy efficient than the old one (didn't have a smart meter then but our power consumption dropped by several kilowatts a month). The old dryer was about 40 when it died.

Now in my house, I do have to watch the wattages of appliances. I have one cabinet of use separately or trip a breaker. Our house has 20 Amp breakers except for the dryer that is by itself. So in the kitchen, I have to add up the watts to see what can be used together. For safety's sake, I use 2,000 watts even though I know it is really 2,400.

Well now see you are smart atnd I am smart when it comes to electricity usage. Some people would need a smart meter to tell them where their electricity is going.
I heard about a couple that got a whopping electric bill for a very small space. Everyone figured something was wrong with either the meter or something was tied into their electricity that shouldn't have been. Turns out that wasn't the problem.
Turns out he was running an electric heater wide open and she was running the A/C in the other room full power.
Without the smart meter they would have continued to have monster bills.

Also if I know what is the power hog, I can if I choose take steps to reduce it.

Oh and our new dryer is much more energy efficient than the old one (didn't have a smart meter then but our power consumption dropped by several kilowatts a month). The old dryer was about 40 when it died.

Now in my house, I do have to watch the wattages of appliances. I have one cabinet of use separately or trip a breaker. Our house has 20 Amp breakers except for the dryer that is by itself. So in the kitchen, I have to add up the watts to see what can be used together. For safety's sake, I use 2,000 watts even though I know it is really 2,400.
Long before "smart meters" became commonplace, I bought a small device that plugged inbetween the wall socket and the device being checked. It allowed you to check the power consumption of individual appliances, in real time.

The highest user wasn't what it was supposed to be.

Long before "smart meters" became commonplace, I bought a small device that plugged inbetween the wall socket and the device being checked. It allowed you to check the power consumption of individual appliances, in real time.

The highest user wasn't what it was supposed to be.
Was it higher or lower?
I will have to look for one of those. I just thought you might like to read a good use for a smart meter for someone that couldn't afford to buy a checker. Not everyone has money to spend on not necessary items to check electricity usage.

Was it higher or lower?
I will have to look for one of those. I just thought you might like to read a good use for a smart meter for someone that couldn't afford to buy a checker. Not everyone has money to spend on not necessary items to check electricity usage.
£15 at the time of buying, cost returned when one item was replaced. However it does something a smart meter never will, tell you how much individual items are costing to run. Their use isn't supported by many power companies though, since smart meters came out.

Well now see you are smart and I am smart when it comes to electricity usage. Some people would need a smart meter to tell them where their electricity is going.
Without the smart meter they would have continued to have monster bills
:facepalm:
I think all that that demonstrates is that marriage counselling is required, people need to communicate better, common sense was lacking, common sense needs to be taught...
just pick one from the list...

:facepalm:
I think all that that demonstrates is that marriage counselling is required, people need to communicate better, common sense was lacking, common sense needs to be taught...
just pick one from the list...
Or all of the above. Or maybe they needed their hearing checked since last time I heard one, neither the heater or the air conditioner is quiet.

That is why I edit mine, spelling error or if I don't feel as though I have put myself across correctly, perhaps come across as being rude when it wasn't meant.
I myself am on a first name basis with "Preview...". And even after proofreading and re-proofreading, I'll still find errors after I post. :facepalm:

I can't access that since I am not on fb.

It's not really important. It's a video of how the photographer uses paint and blowtorches etc., to enhance the food (in this case a cut of rump steak (I think).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom