The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Woke up this morning at 3am to frozen pipes. I've still no water and its nearly 9am. Guess it will be another couple of hours yet because even the pond up against the sheltered veranda was frozen this morning. So currently no-one or thing has water... except for the chicks. The chooks' outside water was and still is frozen solid. Their inside water, in the chook house with them overnight had a layer of ice on it... the pond is frozen, the water pipes are frozen and until all the water defrosts, I won't get anywhere doing a reset on the water pump.

What I want to know is how is it my husband is always away from home when this happens? Does he know something I don't? He's in Melbourne where it was a staggering 15C warmer than here this morning. This is exactly the reason I have an emergency supply of bottled water - something my hubby complains about bitterly! So at the top of today's jobs list somewhere around the 'bring more wood inside/wood run' is the 'go and find those exposed water pipes and bury them (again)'. My second coffee is going to have to wait. At least the chicks think life is warm enough... I may be doing a 'lord of the rings' day. Breakfast number 2 could be very soon... :D

Woke up this morning at 3am to frozen pipes. I've still no water and its nearly 9am. Guess it will be another couple of hours yet because even the pond up against the sheltered veranda was frozen this morning. So currently no-one or thing has water... except for the chicks. The chooks' outside water was and still is frozen solid. Their inside water, in the chook house with them overnight had a layer of ice on it... the pond is frozen, the water pipes are frozen and until all the water defrosts, I won't get anywhere doing a reset on the water pump.

What I want to know is how is it my husband is always away from home when this happens? Does he know something I don't? He's in Melbourne where it was a staggering 15C warmer than here this morning. This is exactly the reason I have an emergency supply of bottled water - something my hubby complains about bitterly! So at the top of today's jobs list somewhere around the 'bring more wood inside/wood run' is the 'go and find those exposed water pipes and bury them (again)'. My second coffee is going to have to wait. At least the chicks think life is warm enough... I may be doing a 'lord of the rings' day. Breakfast number 2 could be very soon... :D
Male ESP.

I hung my washing on the line earlier, the rain is now hammering down, I am in my night attire and husband is in the shower so looks like it is getting a second wash.

Did I say that I saw the irony in yesterday's events?

I spent the morning digging to find an exposed pipe so that I could bury it again.
I believe I may have accidentally buried my sense of humour along with the pipe instead of my jobs list.
The irony of this situation is not lost on me, unlike my sense of humour which presumably won't freeze overnight.

My pipes didn't freeze overnight.... but then it was a balmy 1C this morning which could explain the why part!

Did I say that I saw the irony in yesterday's events?

I spent the morning digging to find an exposed pipe so that I could bury it again.
I believe I may have accidentally buried my sense of humour along with the pipe instead of my jobs list.
The irony of this situation is not lost on me, unlike my sense of humour which presumably won't freeze overnight.

My pipes didn't freeze overnight.... but then it was a balmy 1C this morning which could explain the why part!
Hope you've marked both ends. Makes finding it again a lot easier.

Hope you've marked both ends. Makes finding it again a lot easier.
Indeed. There are currently a line of bamboo poles marking it's exact course. Some standing and some laying along its entire path. At the weekend, something more permanent will be done to make and trace its route. Plus I'll take a few pictures. I want to get a map drawn up in the long run because we have bore water pipes everywhere for the stand pipes and the sprinkler system (2 separate bore water pipes, plus there is the tank water (new and old systems) and on top of that there is electricity in places as well... not to mention the fact that there is a sewage system (easy to spot luckily) and electric fencing... I'm sure there is probably more, oh - yeh there's the old septic tank system, the sinks that drain straight onto the soil, and something else which we keep finding but have yet to actually make head or tail of (down in one of the bottom fields).... it's err, interesting is the best phrase!

The city's sewer line had a problem this evening. A quick call and they got it fixed in under an hour.

In other news, we went to the local discount store. I'm not saying the manager knows us but he had been paged to the front on another matter, took one look in our cart and stayed so he could help ring us up. (The employees have to scan every item.) The manager can do quantities. He just asked how many packages of jelly beans we had so he could put them in all at once. We do tend to stock up.
Of course he also knew if we miscounted, we would come back with the price tag on an index card and tell the clerk how many to ring up. (We did that once.) (Not on jelly beans.)

Any ideas at all, animal, vegetable, man-made or freak of nature?

I hung my washing on the line earlier, the rain is now hammering down, I am in my night attire and husband is in the shower so looks like it is getting a second wash.
The next time a heavy rain is predicted, take what laundry you have, pin it to the line, drizzle a bit of detergent on the shoulders/waist/etc and let the rain suds it up to wash, then rinse away. Saves you the bother of washing in the first place.

The next time a heavy rain is predicted, take what laundry you have, pin it to the line, drizzle a bit of detergent on the shoulders/waist/etc and let the rain suds it up to wash, then rinse away. Saves you the bother of washing in the first place.
I wonder if the same thing would work for the washing up ?

We had four faulty lights outside the house from a storm on Monday. The sparks (3) arrived this afternoon and located the problem (one fitting was shorting out all the others). They disconnected the offending cable (to sort another day), replaced a double fluorescent with a new LED light fitting in the car port, and installed a new twin three pin socket on the stoep. About 90 minutes work in total.

Cost me 9 quid!

[Edit: Not including the fittings - I bought all those on Tuesday]

Last edited:
-4C is forecast overnight. When we got home at 6:30pm it was already 0C. It's going to test how well I have done burying that pipe. There's no way it isn't going to be cold tonight.

Mind you there was the most stunning earth shadow at sunset this evening. Probably a a result of the burnings (prescribed, that's the term they use here and they've taken to putting up notices now to warn drivers about it) that happened this afternoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom