The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you ever tried, or considered, inversion therapy for your back?
Is that as in hanging from your feet type thing? If so it won't help sadly. My back is as a result of a major catastrophic disk failure that damaged both my sciatic nerve endings and my spinal cord when it exploded. (these are the words of my senior back consultant in the uk). No-one had any idea that I had a deformed spine at the base. Or more it didn't fully form in the womb. I have never had any back issues before - always the most flexible at school but I could never slouch and didn't know why. It turns out that from MRI and CT scans (detailed ones) L4-L5 & L5-S1 plus the lower bit in the pelvis itself didn't form properly and basically the 2 disks concerned were 'ticking time bombs'. L4-L5 is in perfect condition as are all of the others showing on the MRI (L4-L5 has been physically looked at by 2 different surgeons during operations). It is just the wrong shape, as they assume the one that failed was. But the NHS screwed up (or more accurately my Dr did) told me I was the wrong age group for back problems, gave me codeine for the pain and told me I had sciatica and that it would clear on its own. My right leg was totally numb and I had no movement or feeling in it (indicating L4-S1 problems all the way through) and well it was 5 weeks before I was operated on (privately by that time - Bupa). I was told right from the start that I would never make a full recovery, it had been too long, so to be as good as I am now is great. I can walk short distances without crutches, but by the end of the day need my wheelchair. The pain is both acute and chronic so the implant I have been recommended for a trial for (HF10) will help with at least some of the pain. What happens with the constant spasming in my right leg is another matter and that might be life long. Certainly I will have to quit my mountaineering, and perhaps only aim for getting back hiking and short distances only, but it is something to aim for - after all trekking poles are not that different from crutches!
I understand "Pillow Therapy" is pretty effective on getting one's spouse to quiet down. :eek: No, don't smother him! Just whack him with the pillow so he'll roll over. :giggle:

I hope you get a good night's sleep soon.
My hubby complains that he often wakes with sore ribs... I have found that just the lightest touch to the rib cage when someone is asleep is like an electric chock to them... it stops him snoring immediately! At least that way he gets some better sleep! :laugh:

A good morning's worth of gardening to do, once lunch has settled I will be in the back garden, do what I can now the weather is cooler and before the rain allegedly comes next week.

My wife's gone on a temple trip up to Udon Thani today (320 km). Left at 05:30 this morning. Not my scene really, we have dozens of temples here in Nakhorn Nowhere and they all look the same to me. Anyway I made extensive plans in last night's dreams but ended up just staying at home all day.

It's a beautiful day here, so we're heading down to the lake to take the boat out for a spin. I hope the water warmed up enough for a swim.

I don't think anybody will be taking out boats around my way...the wind is hammering across the Firth of Forth and the waves are going up and down faster than the rides at our local fair.

If it makes you feel better, we always feed the ducks that hold us hostage, forming a blockade around our boat when we anchor.

They especially love Doritos.

I used to live near a pub called The Trout in Oxford. It is by the river and has an outdoor dining area. At precisely the same time every day, there was a flock of mallards waiting. It just so happened that this was precisely the time the place started serving lunch. And then the same thing happened in the evening.

Clever sort, Johnny Mallard.

Just taking a break at work. Massive day. Things back to normal after yesterdays debacle..except our dishwasher is down now. Thermostat is broken so the water heater won't stop heating the water.Boiling the rinse water. Anyhoo, we called the tech and he came pretty quickly but doesn't have the part to fix it. He's gone off now to find it someplace. I'm betting we don't see him until Monday afternoon. Washing dishes by hand for a few days...fun stuff...just another day in paradise...nothing a couple of pilsner and a cigarette won't cure

bitterly cold morning, no water: its frozen (again)... -7C

DSC_1630_800.jpg

Beautiful. My (frozen) view

This morning I was wide awake and needed to empty my bladder so I decided that whilst I was up may as well go downstairs and make a brew, it was only 6.15 :o_o:. Woke up husband, we both settled back down but couldn't sleep so we are both feeling tired but he is in charge of the Sunday morning group ride and needs to be at the pub before 10am.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom