The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is my dad's birthday on 29th of this month so I have bought him a card :wink:

P_20170818_171933.jpg

:cry:

It is so sad, especially when people who live near you or their families may be involved. The worst was a few years back when the soldier was killed at Woolwich. Not only do some of my relatives still live very close to the barracks, but the sister of one of the killers lives just near me. That afternoon when I went shopping, all the road where she lives were cordoned off and there were police everywhere. She publicly disowned her brother and said she felt ashamed. You can't help feeling sorry for her and her family too, but not many people think of that. We had police in our road and all about a couple of days after the Westminster attack. The van used in that attack used to be parked a few yards from where I am sitting now. I used to see it every day when I took the dog for his early morning walk. Needless to say, that day it was not there. And friends of mine who live right by Borough Market had just walked through there and had only been home a few minutes when that attack happened. And those poor children in Manchester. My cousin had been there at the weekend for another concert. Nowhere seems to be that safe any more.

@Elawin,

There were 3 Barbarian attacks today.
1) Finland.
2) Germany.
3) Capri area - St. Tropez .. ( do not know details )

The E.U. is sleeping and each country in The E.U. and not in the E.U. but a part of Europe, requires a heavy duty Squat Team, Policial Miltary & exemplarily trained Pólice, local and national to deal with radical Terrorism .. It is a "war" against these insane barbarians, who have no idea of life, and who love killing locals and tourists.

I must go to meet my tour group for drinks and tapas .. And then we shall have dinner at 21.30 at the Hotel ..

All my best, for a lovely weekend ..

You can't help feeling sorry for her and her family too, but not many people think of that.
No - and I'm afraid I for one also do not. She is 'ashamed' of her brother - how sad. I am concerned about victims - people who have seen their loved ones die, been injured themselves [a shock that may never go away although few people seem to realise that either]. I feel sadness for the people young and old who are now dead. Do I have sympathy for a maniac's family [who strangely 'never have any idea'] - no I do not.

In the supermarket they were selling 'genuine' coconuts, of course they were genuine-the ring pull on the top gave it away :o_o:

A large jar, wider than your average jam or pickle jar.
I just had to do that to one in the downstairs bathroom. I was alone in the house - so needs must. Usually I just scream until someone comes and disposes of it. This one was quite large with nasty thick black body and legs.

I just had to do that to one in the downstairs bathroom. I was alone in the house - so needs must. Usually I just scream until someone comes and disposes of it. This one was quite large with nasty thick black body and legs.

@morning glory

Sounds like a beetle !

I guess we are lucky as we have never seen a cockaroach in our apartment or building or offices ..

Surely gross !

I had read this "soap opera" and I just thought to myself, isn´t there something more pleasant to chat about ?

Have a great weekend ..

Same here. This particular creature was floor tile colour (very dark grey, almost black) and at first it look like a clump of dark earth on the floor such as animal paws bring in when it is wet out. It was right in front of the kitchen sink too. It was only when I saw the legs that I freaked out (I didn't have my glasses on). The feline army didn't feel like dealing with it, and the canine heavy attack craft took one look at it and legged it back into the front room, which was even more worrying. I have no qualms about spiders out in the garden, though. As far as I am concerned, that is where they all belong.

We will be gardening this afternoon, no rain but blowy so ideal conditions as we have quite a but to do, a few trips to the tip may be in order. Won't get it all done but will make a good start.

We will be gardening this afternoon, no rain but blowy so ideal conditions as we have quite a but to do, a few trips to the tip may be in order. Won't get it all done but will make a good start.
I haven't been to the local tip for years. All kitchen non-meat waste goes in the composter at the end of the garden, and all leaves go in another pile for leaf mould. It gets spread on the garden or used for potting plants and seeds. Other waste goes in the normal rubbish collection or the recycling. Our council collect old batteries, and old or broken small electrical items (must fit in a plastic carrier bag - it's amazing how big some plastic carrier bags are) free of charge too. It's also amazing how much larger stuff people will often find a use for as well, although if it's there for longer than a day or two, it goes back in the garage for a while until I have enough to warrant phoning the Council up to collect it or ordering a small skip.
One year my friend noticed my skip outside the house, and asked if she could put a few bits and bobs in it as she was moving. On top was a mattress which looked in excellent condition, and I asked her if I could have it. Her [now] husband carried it upstairs for me and put my old one on the skip. Boy was it uncomfortable. I just could not sleep on it. He came and swapped the mattresses back again (luckily it hadn't rained overnight). A few minutes later the skip lorry arrived to take the skip away. Thank goodness he was there; otherwise I'd have been stuck with a totally unsuitable mattress - nearly new or not. She confessed afterwards that the only reason she had got rid of it was because it was so uncomfortable, and it hadn't been cheap either.

I haven't been to the local tip for years. All kitchen non-meat waste goes in the composter at the end of the garden, and all leaves go in another pile for leaf mould. It gets spread on the garden or used for potting plants and seeds. Other waste goes in the normal rubbish collection or the recycling. Our council collect old batteries, and old or broken small electrical items (must fit in a plastic carrier bag - it's amazing how big some plastic carrier bags are) free of charge too. It's also amazing how much larger stuff people will often find a use for as well, although if it's there for longer than a day or two, it goes back in the garage for a while until I have enough to warrant phoning the Council up to collect it or ordering a small skip.
One year my friend noticed my skip outside the house, and asked if she could put a few bits and bobs in it as she was moving. On top was a mattress which looked in excellent condition, and I asked her if I could have it. Her [now] husband carried it upstairs for me and put my old one on the skip. Boy was it uncomfortable. I just could not sleep on it. He came and swapped the mattresses back again (luckily it hadn't rained overnight). A few minutes later the skip lorry arrived to take the skip away. Thank goodness he was there; otherwise I'd have been stuck with a totally unsuitable mattress - nearly new or not. She confessed afterwards that the only reason she had got rid of it was because it was so uncomfortable, and it hadn't been cheap either.

A lot of the stuff has woody stalks so won't compost down very easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom