The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a really good couple of hours in the back garden, husband took 4 bags full of stuff to the tip. Whilst weeding in the front garden the heavens opened, no warning just woosh... I ran to the back to get the washing in, it and I were soaked by the time I got back in. Now relaxing with a brew, no more gardening today as it is still raining,

Had a really good couple of hours in the back garden, husband took 4 bags full of stuff to the tip. Whilst weeding in the front garden the heavens opened, no warning just woosh... I ran to the back to get the washing in, it and I were soaked by the time I got back in. Now relaxing with a brew, no more gardening today as it is still raining,

The rain is good for the garden... :)

A lot of the stuff has woody stalks so won't compost down very easily.
I just put all that in the same heap as the leaves. That is an open compost heap, unlike the one for kitchen waste, so it gets quite wet and any woody bits (over even lumps of wood) rot down quite quickly. Our houses are built on good old Essex clay, so the garden sinks noticeably over time. The leaf mould etc comes in handy topping the levels up. All I need now is a load of gravel or shingle to top up the other side of the garden, which has sunk about 6 inches in 2 years :(

I went to Tesco's today!!! Apart from the fact that they had no panko breadcrumbs, or indeed any breadcrumbs at all ("Oh dear, we must be out of stock. Have you tried making your own" :facepalm:), the answer from one assistant re whether they stocked sriracha was "Never heard of it" :facepalm:, and from another "No, I don't think we stock it", but at least that assistant did go to the American food section as well as the Asian section to check so she must have been a bit more food savvy. Then another who overheard part of our conversation said "You're the second person whose asked for that today!"!

On a more serious note, nearly all their ready meals section and near all their cooked meats section was empty. Too empty. It is a huge store with top up deliveries several times a day so to have just sold out of everything is very unlikely. There must have been another recall.

And back to a lighter note, yes I did buy some chicken breasts, and yes I am going to have a go at making my own chicken kievs. :D

And I bought an aubergine - they only had three small ones, and two of them were soft and squidgy :( . There was no price on them, the box or the shelf either. 70p it cost. I think I might have been better off ordering some organic ones.....

Last edited:
I just put all that in the same heap as the leaves. That is an open compost heap, unlike the one for kitchen waste, so it gets quite wet and any woody bits (over even lumps of wood) rot down quite quickly. Our houses are built on good old Essex clay, so the garden sinks noticeably over time. The leaf mould etc comes in handy topping the levels up. All I need now is a load of gravel or shingle to top up the other side of the garden, which has sunk about 6 inches in 2 years :(

Ideally I would like to compost it all down but we have so much that we would end up with a huge pile which would take forever to rot down so hopefully the council will treat it properly and recycle it as compost, it would be a whole lot quicker than we could.

@morning glory

Sounds like a beetle !

I guess we are lucky as we have never seen a cockaroach in our apartment or building or offices ..

Surely gross !

I had read this "soap opera" and I just thought to myself, isn´t there something more pleasant to chat about ?

Have a great weekend ..

@MypinchofItaly

Are you still on vacation in Umbria or Sardegna ?

One of my daughter in laws and my younger twin son are leaving for Sardegna for her vacation 22nd and shall be there 10 days and 9 nights.

They are going to the Northeast, Costa Esmeralda zone ..

They go every year !! They love it ..

More pleasant chat !! Than the " Bichos with 8 legs " .. ha ha ha ..

Have a lovely summer ..

I am Working up in the French Basque Región .. Beautiful here ..

I will be back on the 21st .. We are heading to Navarre in the morning after breakfast ..

Last edited:
I went to Tesco's today!!! Apart from the fact that they had no panko breadcrumbs, or indeed any breadcrumbs at all ("Oh dear, we must be out of stock. Have you tried making your own" :facepalm:), the answer from one assistant re whether they stocked sriracha was "Never heard of it" :facepalm:, and from another "No, I don't think we stock it", but at least that assistant did go to the American food section as well as the Asian section to check so she must have been a bit more food savvy. Then another who overheard part of our conversation said "You're the second person whose asked for that today!"!

On a more serious note, nearly all their ready meals section and near all their cooked meats section was empty. Too empty. It is a huge store with top up deliveries several times a day so to have just sold out of everything is very unlikely. There must have been another recall.

And back to a lighter note, yes I did buy some chicken breasts, and yes I am going to have a go at making my own chicken kievs. :D

And I bought an aubergine - they only had three small ones, and two of them were soft and squidgy :( . There was no price on them, the box or the shelf either. 70p it cost. I think I might have been better off ordering some organic ones.....

We don't have a Tesco store near us but we do have an express which is good and has better stock than our local COOP which, even though it gets a revamp on a regular basis, it is still quite old fashioned so we use Tesco more often. Although 1 time I was in the Tesco and had to point out to the guy behind the till that they had 4 yogurts that were a day out of date.

The big Tesco store is just across the main road from me - I can see it from my front window - but because of the barriers down the central reservation, getting to it can be a bit long-winded at any time of day because of the sheer volume of traffic. It's a four bus journey there and back by public transport, and walking is not an option because I have difficulty carrying heavy things. The garage on the corner has been shut recently for a couple of weeks but has now reopened as a COOP store plus petrol station (it was a Spar plus Esso). Subway and Costa are still on site too. I have this afternoon learned that Tesco have bought the building site just down the road from me, and that is going to be a Tesco Express with 30 flats over the store as well :(. Goodness knows where their customers and residents will be able to park. It is on a roundabout at a junction of two main roads right next to a bus stop. It will also be opposite a Costcutters and small newsagents/minimart and a bakers, and they are none too pleased. So there will be 3 big name food stores within 150 yards or so, as well as a small Sainsbury's, another Co-op, an Iceland, and a Pound Store which sells food, as well as several other small independent food shops a few minutes away in the opposite direction. Can't say we won't be spoilt for choice.

The big Tesco store is just across the main road from me - I can see it from my front window - but because of the barriers down the central reservation, getting to it can be a bit long-winded at any time of day because of the sheer volume of traffic. It's a four bus journey there and back by public transport, and walking is not an option because I have difficulty carrying heavy things. The garage on the corner has been shut recently for a couple of weeks but has now reopened as a COOP store plus petrol station (it was a Spar plus Esso). Subway and Costa are still on site too. I have this afternoon learned that Tesco have bought the building site just down the road from me, and that is going to be a Tesco Express with 30 flats over the store as well :(. Goodness knows where their customers and residents will be able to park. It is on a roundabout at a junction of two main roads right next to a bus stop. It will also be opposite a Costcutters and small newsagents/minimart and a bakers, and they are none too pleased. So there will be 3 big name food stores within 150 yards or so, as well as a small Sainsbury's, another Co-op, an Iceland, and a Pound Store which sells food, as well as several other small independent food shops a few minutes away in the opposite direction. Can't say we won't be spoilt for choice.

:o_o:

@MypinchofItaly

Are you still on vacation in Umbria or Sardegna ?

One of my daughters is leaving for Sardegna for her vacation 22nd and shall be there 10 days and 9 nights.

They are going to the Northeast, Costa Esmeralda zone ..

They go every year !! They love it ..

More pleasant chat !! Than the " Bichos with 8 legs " .. ha ha ha ..

Have a lovely summer ..

I am Working up in the French Basque Región .. Beautiful here ..

I will be back on the 21st .. We are heading to Navarre in the morning after breakfast ..

Hi @Francesca! Yes I'm still on holiday in Umbria until tuesday 22nd. We are in Orvieto area, very close both Toscana and Lazio..after 22nd we will go in the south of Lazio (Sperlonga) tuntilo the sea until 27th. Is very close to Campania. This summer not Sardinia. But I'll go in the middle of September only for weekend to see my relatives. I miss Sardinia a lot! Costa Smeralda is fantastic! Where exatly your daughter will go?

Hi @Francesca! Yes I'm still on holiday in Umbria until tuesday 22nd. We are in Orvieto area, very close both Toscana and Lazio..after 22nd we will go in the south of Lazio (Sperlonga) tuntilo the sea until 27th. Is very close to Campania. This summer not Sardinia. But I'll go in the middle of September only for weekend to see my relatives. I miss Sardinia a lot! Costa Smeralda is fantastic! Where exatly your daughter will go?

@MypinchofItaly

Wow, have a wonderful vacation ..

I have to ask for the name of the Hotel .. It is my daughter in law & son .. They love Sardegna and go every year !

She is like a daughter !!

Off to get back on coach bus as we are headed for Navarre ..

Have a lovely day ..

@MypinchofItaly

My younger twin son and his wife (my daughter in law ) are going to spend 3 days and 2 nights in Porto Cervo, Olbia, at a top hotel for my daughter in law´s birthday .. Then, they are renting a car, and driving to a 4 star business hotel, The Mercure Olbia and they will spend 3 days 2 nights there. Then, they shall drive south to Calgilari where they shall stay at The Reina Margherite in the historic centre for the rest of the trip ..

They had booked about 4 or 5 months ago via www.booking.com and got very very reasonable rates ..

They know Sardegna quite well ..

Have a lovely day ..

@MypinchofItaly

My younger twin son and his wife (my daughter in law ) are going to spend 3 days and 2 nights in Porto Cervo, Olbia, at a top hotel for my daughter in law´s birthday .. Then, they are renting a car, and driving to a 4 star business hotel, The Mercure Olbia and they will spend 3 days 2 nights there. Then, they shall drive south to Calgilari where they shall stay at The Reina Margherite in the historic centre for the rest of the trip ..

They had booked about 4 or 5 months ago via www.booking.com and got very very reasonable rates ..

They know Sardegna quite well ..

Have a lovely day ..

@Francesca Olbia and the surroundings are fantastic, although I'm not a fan of Porto Cervo but the sea there is like heaven. I love Arzachena and Porto Rotondo.Anyway, it's a great idea to rent a car! Maybe your daughter in law and your son already know it but I suggest to do a trip to Tavolara Isle ( Olbia) with a boat or also to Cala Molara and Cala Molarotto. Well, Cagliari is amazing. All that area is super. Villasimius,Castiadas. But there is a place very special: if they have time they can't miss to visit the Dune di Porto Pino-Sant'Annarresi (Giba).And the cities of Santa Margherita di Pula and Nora (fenician).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom