The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh Dear, you're right. And Christmas is a serious thing. It could be a "discreto" moment- sorry I don't remember how to say this in English - full of respect and silence and semplicity (well, not only on Christmas time).
Personally I dislike so much those people who buy buy buy a lot of gifts and eat eat eat a lot of food on that period. "Ehi, it's only Christmas, not a challenge" and Jesus was born poor and in a cave.

I was chatting with my dad earlier and he want's to have Christmas on his own this year, he doesn't want us to think him rude or unsociable but it is about getting cold driving for about half an hour, then later driving back and getting cold again. I told him I fully understand his reasoning and he isn't legally obliged to come to, he does as he chooses, besides he could always invite someone to his if he wants to. I don't like the idea of him being on his own so hopefully he will invite someone but at the end of the day it is solely his choice.

@Lullabelle

Could you talk him into staying overnight after Christmas dinner? Yes he still has to make the drive but he can time his drive for day hours instead of driving at night. Maybe there is someone in your family that would be willing to pick him up then drive him home.

Treasure your Dad while you have him. My Dad died in '06. His death was devastating because he committed suicide. I would give anything to have another holiday dinner with him.

Do whatever you have to do to have your Dad with you for Christmas. You will not have him forever.

@Lullabelle

Could you talk him into staying overnight after Christmas dinner? Yes he still has to make the drive but he can time his drive for day hours instead of driving at night. Maybe there is someone in your family that would be willing to pick him up then drive him home.

Treasure your Dad while you have him. My Dad died in '06. His death was devastating because he committed suicide. I would give anything to have another holiday dinner with him.

Do whatever you have to do to have your Dad with you for Christmas. You will not have him forever.

Today my dad, my brother, bis ex-girlfriend and their son are going away for a few days so when they get back and settle I will get in touch with my brother and see what we can come up with.

@Lynne Guinne you are very lucky that I'm not by your surroundings :D:coffee::coffee::coffee:
I would be luckier if you lived nearby. :welcome: You could pick out a mug from my collection, plop down in a chair, and visit while sipping some coffee.:coffee: If I had homemade scones or a loaf of my Mom's recipe banana nut bread. you could have some of that, too. We could have a very nice visit.

...at the monent I am finding it hard not having mum around and it must be awful for people who are alone, having all that 'happy family' stuff shoved in their faces.
Holidays are rough when a loved one isn't with you any longer. I hope your Dad reconsiders and you all can spend Christmas together as a family. Instead of exchanging gifts, maybe you can all sit around the dinner table and all talk about the wonderful memories you have from the years your mum was around.

[...Treasure your Dad while you have him. My Dad died in '06. His death was devastating because he committed suicide. I would give anything to have another holiday dinner with him...
Oh Dear! That is so sad! My heart goes out to you, @ElizabethB. My Mom-in-Law died on Christmas eve, and I always thought that was tragic. At least my hubby was able to be with her in the hospital when the end was near.

Holidays are rough when a loved one isn't with you any longer. I hope your Dad reconsiders and you all can spend Christmas together as a family. Instead of exchanging gifts, maybe you can all sit around the dinner table and all talk about the wonderful memories you have from the years your mum was around.

Just before Christmas we all get together to lay a wreath then have lunch together so that is about the only time all 3 of us kids get together. My brother's girlfriend-mother of his 2 girls-died 12 years ago so every Christmas day the 3 of them would go to my folks and then we would all meet up between Christmas and mum's birthday on January 12. Dad's first Christmas with out mum he stayed over for a few days, my brother and his kids came over for the day. My brother's next relationship didn't work but he does the best he can to be with his son and he want's dad to be a big part of the boys life so I should imagine they will do something over the holiday.

I would be luckier if you lived nearby. :welcome: You could pick out a mug from my collection, plop down in a chair, and visit while sipping some coffee.:coffee: If I had homemade scones or a loaf of my Mom's recipe banana nut bread. you could have some of that, too. We could have a very nice visit.

Dear @Lynne Guinne you are very sweet. Take a coffee and taste your mom's recipe banana nut bread, wow, that would be so nice and funny moment, I'm sure. Thank you for your invitation :thankyou:

@Lullabelle

So sorry to read that about you dad :hug:

I was hoping to give our lawns their last cut of the year but the back lawns are soaking wet, it started to drizzle whilst I was doing the front lawn so no more gardening will be done today, too wet.

We dropped our cat off at the cattery earlier so we can have an early start tomorrow, she was in a really bad mood, I have never known her growl and hiss quite like that before, definitely getting cantankerous in her dotage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom