The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is infuenza A virus, in this country we normally get influenza B virus, there is a story on the BBC news app, a bit long winded so haven't read it all but it is basically a different strain of flu to what we are used to.

All I can tell you is when men get it they go straight to bed for a week and want to be nursed like babies.:sleep::cry::speechless::rolleyes:

Yes, but women just get on with life:D

All I can tell you is that it was a particularly bad strain this year (apparently, bearing in mind that my hubby had pneumonia and I had double pneumonia) and laid a considerable proportion of the population out with it (both sexes alike).
Plus it was not the strain expected so the flu vaccination didn't cover it. Mind you or version of pneumonia wasn't covered by my pneumonia vaccine either!

I've just spent the morning at the hospital, fallout from my double pneumonia checking that it had cleared completely and isn't lingering (all clear thankfully) and getting some baseline tests done whilst I'm well, so if I get ill again they will have something to compare it to next time around.

I'm now in Ikea grabbing a very late lunch (it's after 2pm) hoping to get my hair cut elsewhere and kill an hour or so somewhere else before picking my husband up from work. I may bale to going to a museum for an hour or so because it's pointless me driving home at 3:30 pm (it will take 45-55 mins to drive home) when my husband will have to finish at 4:30pm to catch the last train (ok there are only 4 a day) home and getting home at 6:30 pm with me having to collect him from the railway station at 6:10pm which will take 40-45 minutes of my time when if I just wait an hour I can pick him up at 4:30pm and us both be home for 5:15pm! Evening meal will be an hour earlier and he'll be less stressed, though I do know he enjoys getting the train from time to time, but he has to do it next week as well.

The problem is that with it being 33C outside, cloudy and humid I really don't feel like dragging the wheelchair in and out of the car!

At least I have my knitting with me which kept am old woman really happy talking to me in the respiratory clinic waiting room because it was so long since she had last seen anyone knitting socks. I'm just finishing off the first sock in 3ply extra soft cotton on 2.25mm needles (UK size 13, US size 1).

Curiously I also found out that my consultant trained in the UK and amongst the hospitals he trained in he was at the North Staffs Royal Infirmary (in Stoke on Trent (ish)), or what ever is current name is. He found Edinburgh and Dundee too cold so came to Australia instead!

My daughter was not at all well over Christmas or when I went to stay. Difficult to say whether it was flu or just a very, very bad cold - she was out spark-oh most of the time, and the local GP surgery could not offer her even an emergency appointment, they were that busy. She still wasn't 100% when she went back to work on 2nd January, and no chance to get a supply teacher to replace her even for a couple of days. I haven't been well either; laid out with a 24 hour stomach bug that is doing the rounds, and now a truly awful cold and headache to go with it. I have had my usual flu jab, plus my pneumonia jab a couple of years ago (you only have one), but, like you say, the flu strain that is hitting the news is not one of the usual ones. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't get any worse, as my GP surgery cannot offer any appointments at the moment even though they are open until 10 p.m. every night and Saturdays to boot. I reminds me of the flu epidemic in the early 1950s. My Dad was in hospital for 4 weeks. A lot of people died of flu, but luckily he was young-ish (about 20 years younger than I am now) and normally reasonably fit and healthy.

my pneumonia jab a couple of years ago (you only have one),
That's a UK thing. I've got to book an appointment with my GP here because they want me to have another with it being 14 years or more since I had my first. clinical trials in Australia have shown that if you are below the age of 75, then you still benefit from getting the pneumonia vaccine every 10 years. It is only those 75 and over where it is counter productive. So I'm getting another one especially given it was bacterial pneumonia I went down with and inside 3-4 days, that's 72-96 hours, it nearly killed me from no symptoms at all. My husband was hit equally badly so it can't be blamed on my poor health, asthma or any other issue I have.

That's a UK thing. I've got to book an appointment with my GP here because they want me to have another with it being 14 years or more since I had my first. clinical trials in Australia have shown that if you are below the age of 75, then you still benefit from getting the pneumonia vaccine every 10 years. It is only those 75 and over where it is counter productive. So I'm getting another one especially given it was bacterial pneumonia I went down with and inside 3-4 days, that's 72-96 hours, it nearly killed me from no symptoms at all. My husband was hit equally badly so it can't be blamed on my poor health, asthma or any other issue I have.
I was 68 when I had my pneumonia jab - even though the cancer nurse recommended it, I still had to ask for it at my GP surgery. It wasn't given automatically. I did have pneumonia when I was a young girl. It was about when I was 11 or 12, and started off as bronchitis. I still get bronchitis occasionally. I shall be eligible for a shingles jab in a few months. I intend having that. I've had chicken pox a couple of times as an adult, and I wouldn't wish that or shingles on anyone. I'm off to bed now - I can't barely see or think or breath, and I'm boiling up. Time to take some paracetamol and call it as night.

Hi all. Visiting brother in Frederick, CO. He is doing very well. He does tire easily and takes a nap in the afternoon. His home is less than 1/2 mile from a lake. Tens of thousands of Canada geese on the lake. An amazing sight. Huge gaggles of geese flying over his home morning and evening. Yesterday morning we went to the Western National Livestock Show. Lots of vendors selling anything and everything. Black Angus and Red Angus cattle were being shown. Show cattle. I never realized cows could be so beautifull. I wanted to pet them. We
watched a sheep shearing demonstration by a professional sheared.

Brother has a home theater. Last night
we enjoyed a performance of Beethoven's 3rd symphony by the Berlin Philharmonic. Amazing!

I really lucked out with the weather. The
temps are low but single digit humidity, little wind and sunshine keeps it comfortable with a light jacket.

Later all.

Hi all. Visiting brother in Frederick, CO. He is doing very well. He does tire easily and takes a nap in the afternoon. His home is less than 1/2 mile from a lake. Tens of thousands of Canada geese on the lake. An amazing sight. Huge gaggles of geese flying over his home morning and evening. Yesterday morning we went to the Western National Livestock Show. Lots of vendors selling anything and everything. Black Angus and Red Angus cattle were being shown. Show cattle. I never realized cows could be so beautifull. I wanted to pet them. We

we enjoyed a performance of Beethoven's 3rd symphony by the Berlin Philharmonic. Amazing!

temps are low but single digit humidity, little wind and sunshine keeps it comfortable with a light jacket.

Later all.

Glad you arrived safely and that it isn't too cold. Do tell us what you cook/eat if you get time.

Later all.
Twenty-one seconds per sheep, the last time I saw it being done.

Just under a minute with hand clippers. Same person.

You should have asked if you could have a wooly jumper though.

I went to Sydney yesterday. I had intended on going to the coast but the weather wasn't very nice so I decided to hit up my favourite spice shop. It's been there for many many years but is closing down. I'm quite sad for them as the building has been sold to overseas investors so they aren't left with a choice.

They had everything 30% off everything and 50% off some others and I went a bit over the top with things like za'atar as I love their version. At the register the owner gifted me with a huge container of dried safflower strands. Not fake saffron as many believe but used in Iranian/Persian cooking. He told me to use it with sumac on slowcooked lamb. I came home & did some research and found a few more recipes.

Here’s my haul

30B42D73-FB23-4AB3-8F01-294B409AE227.jpeg

1kg Chickpeas
1kg Green brown lentils
500gm dried shaved coconut
1kg sesame seeds
300gm hibiscus tea
500gm za'atar
250gm sumac
250gm chilli flakes
500gm smoked paprika
150gm sharwarma spice mix