The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My laptop died last night. It's already been picked up for repair but I don't know how long I'll be without out. It may even be replaced (please, please). I will only have my phones and an ageing tablet, so I won't be on here much in the next few days.

Here’s my haul

View attachment 12809

1kg Chickpeas
1kg Green brown lentils
500gm dried shaved coconut
1kg sesame seeds
300gm hibiscus tea
500gm za'atar
250gm sumac
250gm chilli flakes
500gm smoked paprika
150gm sharwarma spice mix
200gm safflower strands
10 x dried limes
400ml bottle pomegranate molasses
100 large bamboo skewers
2 x Shan butter chicken spice mix
2 x Shan kofta spice mix
1 x potato curry spice mix
1 x Lahore fish fry spice mix
1 x chick pea spice mix.

Fantastic! A cornucopia... looking at the spices I have all of them except the hibiscus tea (which isn't a spice, I know!) and the safflower. I knew about it being used in Persian cooking but suspect it may be for colour alone - not sure but I think it has little flavour. I'd be fascinated to know.

Obviously I don't have the spice mixes which are not likely to be the same as available here.

How much did the lot cost?

Last edited:
Beware there are other viruses about too. My trusty old laptop just curled up and died. Something [???] just switched off the anti-virus the windows firewall the defender software and reduced it to a wreck. Managed to bring it back up in the 'safe mode' to recover my pics/files but otherwise it's pretty much had it :devil: [I don't have a repair disc anymore - it really is that old] Noticed there was an update to the anti-virus software the day after !! Anyhow not all bad - bought a new one :woot: [but it's windows 10 - going to take some getting used to]

Beware there are other viruses about too. My trusty old laptop just curled up and died. Something [???] just switched off the anti-virus the windows firewall the defender software and reduced it to a wreck. Managed to bring it back up in the 'safe mode' to recover my pics/files but otherwise it's pretty much had it :devil: [I don't have a repair disc anymore - it really is that old] Noticed there was an update to the anti-virus software the day after !! Anyhow not all bad - bought a new one :woot: [but it's windows 10 - going to take some getting used to]
What operating system?

Mine was a hardware failure. I managed to get this tablet charged up enough to start using but it's very slow. Luckily most of my stuff is saved in various clouds and 2 external hard drives so at least I can access it even if I can't necessarily use it. There is a distinct lack of space and software compared to what I am used to, At least it's Windows 10.

New laptop here as well.... after the old one started to die over 12 months ago. I was finally reduced to the only working port being the power port which meant I had 250Gb of data to transfer via wireless. Thankfully that was only 1/2 the disk space used... I do have monthly backups, so it would not have been any major issue but even still.
I am slowly putting my software onto the new one. Its the same OS as the old one, but the keyboard is different and its touch screen which is useful sometimes but not other times. Still it is totally silent because the 1Tb hdd is actually a solid state disk! Fantastically fast after the last one, but I'm still restricted by my satellite broadband connection and even getting on here takes an age to load the pages and then it will present me with an old page which I have to force an update on. Luckily on the laptop at least I can ctrl+f5 and get the update immediately (well several seconds later) rather than on my tablet which I can only refresh not ctrl+refresh and I will have to refresh the page anything up to 15 times to get the new page! That's my ISP caching the website to try to make the connection faster! and ironically all they do is make is slower for me. I can't even cheat and change web browsers because its not a machine problem. I can change machines to switch between tablet (so a mobile connection) and my laptop (desktop style connection) but that is as good as it gets. I have spoken with them but got nowhere... I miss plusnet (ISP)....

We may be eating sweetcorn for a few days next week. A mate brought around a few ears this morning...............

ears of corn s.jpg

New laptop here as well.... after the old one started to die over 12 months ago. I was finally reduced to the only working port being the power port which meant I had 250Gb of data to transfer via wireless. Thankfully that was only 1/2 the disk space used... I do have monthly backups, so it would not have been any major issue but even still.
I am slowly putting my software onto the new one. Its the same OS as the old one, but the keyboard is different and its touch screen which is useful sometimes but not other times. Still it is totally silent because the 1Tb hdd is actually a solid state disk! Fantastically fast after the last one, but I'm still restricted by my satellite broadband connection and even getting on here takes an age to load the pages and then it will present me with an old page which I have to force an update on. Luckily on the laptop at least I can ctrl+f5 and get the update immediately (well several seconds later) rather than on my tablet which I can only refresh not ctrl+refresh and I will have to refresh the page anything up to 15 times to get the new page! That's my ISP caching the website to try to make the connection faster! and ironically all they do is make is slower for me. I can't even cheat and change web browsers because its not a machine problem. I can change machines to switch between tablet (so a mobile connection) and my laptop (desktop style connection) but that is as good as it gets. I have spoken with them but got nowhere... I miss plusnet (ISP)....
I have to force an update whether I use my laptop or this tablet with a standard WiFi connection. They are both Windows 10. My old phone has windows 8 and can manage updating perfectly using the same WiFi connection

The Co-op which opened in the corner of our road in June is closing down! A Budgen store is taking over the premises. I wish they'd make their minds up.

That is a shame. The co-op (in my area) is an excellent shop. They have very good wine. Also their fresh bread and sourdough pizzas are good.

That is a shame. The co-op (in my area) is an excellent shop. They have very good wine. Also their fresh bread and sourdough pizzas are good.

Our local COOP is fine for bread and milk but everything else is very run of the mill stuff, Tesco Express has a more interesting variety of stuff however neither are as good for fruit, salad and veg as ALDI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom