The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Possibly AMD, as well as Intel affected.
It seems AMD are affected - the chief danger appears to be from malicious sites being able to steal stored passwords - might be an idea to change any passwords for anything important and NOT store them [I admit it might be a pain but -]. Trouble is they have admitted even the 'patch' will not cure the problem 100%

:eek: - will it affect your pension or don't you know yet?

At the present time it looks like old timers such as I will not suffer financially except that we shall not now receive cost of living increases. The British Government don't give us any anyway!

So, I guess the plan will be to die before I run out of money.

At the present time it looks like old timers such as I will not suffer financially except that we shall not now receive cost of living increases. The British Government don't give us any anyway!

So, I guess the plan will be to die before I run out of money.
TBH the governments plan is to raise the pension age until everyone dies before claiming

Security

NEVER EVER store your passwords on line. Do not stay logged in to a site. Do not open links. If you are interested type it in to the address bar. NEVER EVER open attachments. If you receive an attachment from someone you know, call and ask them if they actually sent it too you before opening it. Example: Friend is hacked. Hacker will go through their email contacts and generate virus attachments. They will go so far as to include a subject line. "funny", "think you will like this" trying to make you think it is from your friend.

Even on this site I do not remain logged in and I do not store my password. Certainly not for any site that you do financial transaction on - bank, credit card, Amazon, whatever.

Over the last several years we have had credit cards compromised once or twice a year. A royal pain! A couple of weeks ago I sat with G at his computer - did a little research. Not only was he logged in to financial sites but he also had his password stored!!:hyper:

He honestly did not realize that he had done that. He also has a bad habit of opening links and attachments from his Buds. He never considers that his Buds may have been hacked.

I spent last week with my Brother. He set me up with software to store passwords, account numbers, personal information, safe combinations - whatever. The pass code for that software is a full page of random key strokes or a photo. I am still working on getting it set up. A lot of work to get started but a breeze once it is set up.

Anyway - my 2 cents.

I agree but I don't bother about passwords to sites such as this - hackers are not really interested in open forums with no financial gain. We don't do 'on line' banking - if they can hack into the pentagon [it's been done] what chance do the rest of us have ? TBH we just write any important passwords on a piece of paper and stick it to the monitor [not that we have many] mostly I suppose because we don't live the 'virtual' life some seem to [old stick in the muds]. With no useful passwords and by running Linux instead of windows on the main 'on line' computer we manage to avoid most problems.
Ordinary viruses are just a fact of life - a constant race between their creators [why ??] and the anti virus companies - even with the best AV soft ware in the world if you get it before you get an up date then there's nothing you can do :cry:

Fantastic! A cornucopia... looking at the spices I have all of them except the hibiscus tea (which isn't a spice, I know!) and the safflower. I knew about it being used in Persian cooking but suspect it may be for colour alone - not sure but I think it has little flavour. I'd be fascinated to know.

Obviously I don't have the spice mixes which are not likely to be the same as available here.

How much did the lot cost?

$65.00 (should have been about $100.00)

The safflower has a mild scent & taste.

Not much happening here today. I've had the first twinges of a sore throat for the past few days and have declared this a day of rest. I did put the fixings for ham hock baked beans in the slow cooker & fed the chook but that's just about it.

What's happening here is melting snow. We had a bit of the white stuff yesterday and as per usual in the UK, a small flurry of snow caused utter mayhem. Now I don't often order groceries online, but I did at the weekend and the delivery was due yesterday. It arrived, but more than an hour late. The driver was most apologetic and told me a grim story of road closures, diversions, idiot police sending drivers to roads that were closed and myriad other debacles.

Sounds about right. My retirement age is 67, I definitely do not want to be working at that age :headshake:
I was supposed to get my state pension at 60, but I actually worked until I was 65 just to be in a position to keep up the payments on my mortgage. Even so, I only actually paid it off at the beginning of last year. I always felt quite jealous of two of my old friends. One retired at 25 when he inherited a family-run business after his parents were tragically killed in a car crash. He then sold it to one of the "big boys" and invested his money very wisely. Another friend never worked at all - he didn't need to. He inherited his family home plus a reasonable amount of money to live on. He did have a big argument with the DSS because he refused to pay national insurance and because he would not work, but he gave them the usual East End reply and carried on as he had been.

Security

NEVER EVER store your passwords on line. Do not stay logged in to a site. Do not open links. If you are interested type it in to the address bar. NEVER EVER open attachments. If you receive an attachment from someone you know, call and ask them if they actually sent it too you before opening it. Example: Friend is hacked. Hacker will go through their email contacts and generate virus attachments. They will go so far as to include a subject line. "funny", "think you will like this" trying to make you think it is from your friend.

Even on this site I do not remain logged in and I do not store my password. Certainly not for any site that you do financial transaction on - bank, credit card, Amazon, whatever.

Over the last several years we have had credit cards compromised once or twice a year. A royal pain! A couple of weeks ago I sat with G at his computer - did a little research. Not only was he logged in to financial sites but he also had his password stored!!:hyper:

He honestly did not realize that he had done that. He also has a bad habit of opening links and attachments from his Buds. He never considers that his Buds may have been hacked.

I spent last week with my Brother. He set me up with software to store passwords, account numbers, personal information, safe combinations - whatever. The pass code for that software is a full page of random key strokes or a photo. I am still working on getting it set up. A lot of work to get started but a breeze once it is set up.

Anyway - my 2 cents.
I agree but I don't bother about passwords to sites such as this - hackers are not really interested in open forums with no financial gain. We don't do 'on line' banking - if they can hack into the pentagon [it's been done] what chance do the rest of us have ? TBH we just write any important passwords on a piece of paper and stick it to the monitor [not that we have many] mostly I suppose because we don't live the 'virtual' life some seem to [old stick in the muds]. With no useful passwords and by running Linux instead of windows on the main 'on line' computer we manage to avoid most problems.
Ordinary viruses are just a fact of life - a constant race between their creators [why ??] and the anti virus companies - even with the best AV soft ware in the world if you get it before you get an up date then there's nothing you can do :cry:
Passwords are easy remember. Still know my two sixteen digit passwords for the bank I worked for and I'm still able to log onto the shop computer system(each shop is linked to one another), including tills. I set the WiFi up, including the passwords, and they've left everyone who used to work for them on the till system.

Security is only any use if you use it.

Stupid, .crazy :cold:. Temps in the teens F. Where is global warming? I need some of that. @medtran49 , @CraigC , @bluejeanbaby - you all must be experiencing this insane weather. We are not prepared for this kind of cold. Schools and businesses are closed. Bridges are closed. No system set up for ice removal. George is nuts trying to keep the orange tree from freezing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom